The Student Room Group

There are only three universities I want to apply to . . .

Only five universities in the country offer my course, and I don't want to apply to two of them . . . Is this a stupid idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
Only five universities in the country offer my course, and I don't want to apply to two of them . . . Is this a stupid idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Better to apply to 3 you want to go to than waste space on your form and uni time by applying to unis/courses you have no intention of going to.

Leaving blank spaces on your application gives you more options later on if you don't get offers from your 3 unis than if you use all 5 choices by adding in 2 filler choices.
Original post by PQ
Better to apply to 3 you want to go to than waste space on your form and uni time by applying to unis/courses you have no intention of going to.

Leaving blank spaces on your application gives you more options later on if you don't get offers from your 3 unis than if you use all 5 choices by adding in 2 filler choices.

Thanks! I didn't know you could add more choices later . . . !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd agree that there's no point applying to a university you don't want to go to. It's expensive, you only get one full round of funding and far too many people waste it on some rubbish they don't really want to do because they think they have to ram themselves into university as soon as they can, even if it means going somewhere they don't want to go to.

Apply to the three you want to go to. If you don't get the grades, you won't go, but you have another year to think about what you do want to do, or improve yourself for a reapplication to those places you did want to go to. Better than wasting tens of thousands of pounds on something you didn't want to do in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the course you're hoping to apply for?

What is the likelihood of you reaching the entry requirements for those three universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only applied to 3 universities, although at one, I applied for 2 courses, one with study abroad. My course was available at only a few unis, though more choice than you. I got offers from all of them. No point wasting everyone's time, putting courses down which you don't want to do.
Reply 6
What course? If you don't mind me asking that is.
Original post by Artimus
What course? If you don't mind me asking that is.

Egyptology! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheStudent18
What is the course you're hoping to apply for?

What is the likelihood of you reaching the entry requirements for those three universities?

Egyptology. I would apply to Liverpool (ABB), Oxford (AAA) and UCL (A*AA-AAA) if AS goes well. I'm pretty sure I can meet the entry requirements to all of them if I work hard this year and next. I'm averaging low As/high Bs at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Egyptology. I would apply to Liverpool (ABB), Oxford (AAA) and UCL (A*AA-AAA) if AS goes well. I'm pretty sure I can meet the entry requirements to all of them if I work hard this year and next. I'm averaging low As/high Bs at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

this might be a dumb q, but what does the degree consist of?
Original post by russellsteapot
I'd agree that there's no point applying to a university you don't want to go to. It's expensive, you only get one full round of funding and far too many people waste it on some rubbish they don't really want to do because they think they have to ram themselves into university as soon as they can, even if it means going somewhere they don't want to go to.

Apply to the three you want to go to. If you don't get the grades, you won't go, but you have another year to think about what you do want to do, or improve yourself for a reapplication to those places you did want to go to. Better than wasting tens of thousands of pounds on something you didn't want to do in the first place.

Original post by louisewestlake
I only applied to 3 universities, although at one, I applied for 2 courses, one with study abroad. My course was available at only a few unis, though more choice than you. I got offers from all of them. No point wasting everyone's time, putting courses down which you don't want to do.

Thank you both so much. A gap year wouldn't be the end of the world. If it came to it, I'd probably do AmeriCamp and try to get a job in the Natural History Museum or some other museum, as well as doing volunteering etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, I've never heard of that degree before! :smile: There's literally a degree for everyone!

Going back to the point; they're some tough universities to get into. If you keep applying yourself in lessons, keep on top of your school/home work and practise questions, you should be able to get four A's this year.

Oxford put a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades. What were your GCSE grades like?
Original post by TheStudent18
Wow, I've never heard of that degree before! :smile: There's literally a degree for everyone!

Going back to the point; they're some tough universities to get into. If you keep applying yourself in lessons, keep on top of your school/home work and practise questions, you should be able to get four A's this year.

Oxford put a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades. What were your GCSE grades like?

I know! And thanks! My GCSE grades worry me. I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B (Drama) in my GCSEs but I think this was under average for my school. However, I hadn't told my school about the fact that I have Asperger's (and possible ADHD as well but I haven't bothered to get a diagnosis) so I didn't receive support for this. I told them after my GCSEs and am now entitled to a laptop and rest breaks, which are both really helpful. Am I being too unrealistic for Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't seem to quote the user 'welcometoib'. When I try, it says the thread is closed? Egyptology is the study of Ancient Egypt - the various languages, its history, literature and culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know! And thanks! My GCSE grades worry me. I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B (Drama) in my GCSEs but I think this was under average for my school. However, I hadn't told my school about the fact that I have Asperger's (and possible ADHD as well but I haven't bothered to get a diagnosis) so I didn't receive support for this. I told them after my GCSEs and am now entitled to a laptop and rest breaks, which are both really helpful. Am I being too unrealistic for Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're pretty impressive grades! Well done! :biggrin: It's also good that your conditions are now recognised, hopefully you can perform even better!

I'm no expert on Oxford, but I think seven A*'s may just be enough. Speak to one of your teachers and see if they can clarify.

Good luck with your application and if you're struggling with anything, feel free to give me a message and I'll try my best to help out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fantastic, get as much help as you can. Well done by the way on your GCSE results 7 A*s :smile:
Stick to your guns, and actually having a condition such as Aspergers' really won't be an issue. Indeed, somewhere like Oxford would be able to provide you with very good support should you feel you need it. Your grades, it seems to me, are well in line with successful Oxford applicants. You shouldn't worry about these and, if you wanna give Oxford a go, then by all means do! Have you had a look at colleges yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

apply to the 3 easy no?
Original post by SebCross
Stick to your guns, and actually having a condition such as Aspergers' really won't be an issue. Indeed, somewhere like Oxford would be able to provide you with very good support should you feel you need it. Your grades, it seems to me, are well in line with successful Oxford applicants. You shouldn't worry about these and, if you wanna give Oxford a go, then by all means do! Have you had a look at colleges yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I know I would apply to The Queen's College! It's so nice! Do you go to Oxford?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Thank you both so much. A gap year wouldn't be the end of the world. If it came to it, I'd probably do AmeriCamp and try to get a job in the Natural History Museum or some other museum, as well as doing volunteering etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Word to the wise - this is way harder than you might think! I've looked into it a few times, and apparently they're all overwhelmed with would-be volunteers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending