The Student Room Group

I only have a C in GCSE maths

Would this be a major problem when i'm applying to Uni's next year?
This is because most courses in the top uni's want a B in both English and Maths (got an A in English) and I was wondering if I need to retake GCSE maths or if the Uni would let it go?
I got C for English and I have offer from Imperial. They're making me do an English test because I don't have B for English. If I don't pass that then that's my Imperial offer down the drain!! So B for English and Maths is important if the course asks for it and they don't let go of it!!
Original post by Pato1
This is because most courses in the top uni's want a B in both English and Maths (got an A in English) and I was wondering if I need to retake GCSE maths or if the Uni would let it go?

some unis want a b but the majority will accept a c. you don't state what subject you intend studying so this may not a=necessarily correct
Reply 3
retake if you can and push it up, sit the higher paper the grade boundaries are ridiculously low.

most top employers want min. B in Maths and English anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
It might be a problem if you want to apply for a Science degree, but otherwise no, it isn’t a problem.

There is rarely a university-wide GCSE policy, different departments will have different requirements. If in doubt, email the department you want to apply to and ask what their GCSE requirements are. It would not be advisable to apply somewhere knowing that you don't meet their entrance requirements, your application would most likely be binned.
I have a C in GCSE maths and got all 5 offers from the unis I applied to.

When looking at unis entry requirements only a few wanted a B in maths and they were usually for maths heavy science courses like physics or maths itself.

I wouldn't bother retaking if I were you. It would be a waste of your time. Focus on your A levels instead.
Original post by Pato1

It's only a few number heavy courses like Economics, Business, Sciences which generally ask for the B. For something not involving numbers like English, History, Politics e.c.t it shouldn't be an issue, so it really depends what you want to apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending