The Student Room Group

How long should I wait before texting again?

One of my good friends has randomly stopped texting me... We used to text a lot, every day at times, and definitely at least once a week.

We've only known each other for about 6 months, but it's only recently that I've started to feel she is suddenly distancing herself from me. And I'm confused!

I used to feel like I could text her anything, anytime and never worry about whether or not she'll reply or what she thinks etc... Now, I've become SO aware of her 'texting' patterns, it's annoying me!

We saw each other about 10 days ago, and I texted her something non-important the day after, she replied in a few hours...

Since then, there's been absolutely no interaction. I wanted to see if she'd initiate contact next time, but even so, sent her another non-important text (literally just a funny emoji) about 4 days ago and she didn't reply. That's absolutely fine and kind of expected as it wasn't anything important, but shed used to reply to such texts and even initiate such texts herself and we used to have such a laugh!

I'm not sure what's happened but it's made me sad... As I used to think highly of her, and thought our friendship was strong and solid and on the way to becoming a VERY good and lasting one.

I know people can sometimes go through phases of not texting much/needing space etc... And from what I know (although I could be wrong), she's been like that with all her friends recently, not just me - she's suddenly stopped 'liking' or 'commenting' on Facebook posts (when she used to do it very often) and I know it's not just my posts she's stopped liking, but pretty much everyone's.

It's sad though, as I feel like she's not 'acknowledged' me in any way in 10 days. It's weird as well, because since we met 6 months ago, we've not gone more than a week without having at least SOME form of communication.

I know to some people, 10 days might seem like nothing and I'm probably over-thinking it... But based on the friendship we 'had', I definitely feel a change in our 'communication' levels when we're not together.

We are both in our mid-twenties and have pretty much the opposite working hours. Which means it's nearly impossible to see each other in the week - so when we DO see each other, which is normally once or twice a month, it's on the weekends.

I'm free this weekend and was thinking of asking her to meet-up but due to her lack of communication for the past 10 days, I've had second thoughts.

I've decided to not contact her again, until she does. I know it sounds childish, and I've never had to deal with such a ridiculous situation before - like I said, I never even thought about 'who texts who first' until the past month or so when she's suddenly changed her communication levels.

My question, if you got this far is, how long do you think I should wait before contacting her again? She's a good friend, and I know she cares about me - and I want to stay friends with her. We've never had any arguments and we always have a fun time when we hang out.

But I also don't want her to take me for granted or to think I'm "always available" when she's started to take ages to reply to texts and rarely initiate them...

I was thinking of waiting another week or so, and if I don't hear anything from her, maybe send her a casual text, hinting at how 'bad our communication' has been recently to see if she gets the hint?

Have any of you ever had to deal with such a situation?
Original post by Anonymous
One of my good friends has randomly stopped texting me... We used to text a lot, every day at times, and definitely at least once a week.

We've only known each other for about 6 months, but it's only recently that I've started to feel she is suddenly distancing herself from me. And I'm confused!

I used to feel like I could text her anything, anytime and never worry about whether or not she'll reply or what she thinks etc... Now, I've become SO aware of her 'texting' patterns, it's annoying me!

We saw each other about 10 days ago, and I texted her something non-important the day after, she replied in a few hours...

Since then, there's been absolutely no interaction. I wanted to see if she'd initiate contact next time, but even so, sent her another non-important text (literally just a funny emoji) about 4 days ago and she didn't reply. That's absolutely fine and kind of expected as it wasn't anything important, but shed used to reply to such texts and even initiate such texts herself and we used to have such a laugh!

I'm not sure what's happened but it's made me sad... As I used to think highly of her, and thought our friendship was strong and solid and on the way to becoming a VERY good and lasting one.

I know people can sometimes go through phases of not texting much/needing space etc... And from what I know (although I could be wrong), she's been like that with all her friends recently, not just me - she's suddenly stopped 'liking' or 'commenting' on Facebook posts (when she used to do it very often) and I know it's not just my posts she's stopped liking, but pretty much everyone's.

It's sad though, as I feel like she's not 'acknowledged' me in any way in 10 days. It's weird as well, because since we met 6 months ago, we've not gone more than a week without having at least SOME form of communication.

I know to some people, 10 days might seem like nothing and I'm probably over-thinking it... But based on the friendship we 'had', I definitely feel a change in our 'communication' levels when we're not together.

We are both in our mid-twenties and have pretty much the opposite working hours. Which means it's nearly impossible to see each other in the week - so when we DO see each other, which is normally once or twice a month, it's on the weekends.

I'm free this weekend and was thinking of asking her to meet-up but due to her lack of communication for the past 10 days, I've had second thoughts.

I've decided to not contact her again, until she does. I know it sounds childish, and I've never had to deal with such a ridiculous situation before - like I said, I never even thought about 'who texts who first' until the past month or so when she's suddenly changed her communication levels.

My question, if you got this far is, how long do you think I should wait before contacting her again? She's a good friend, and I know she cares about me - and I want to stay friends with her. We've never had any arguments and we always have a fun time when we hang out.

But I also don't want her to take me for granted or to think I'm "always available" when she's started to take ages to reply to texts and rarely initiate them...

I was thinking of waiting another week or so, and if I don't hear anything from her, maybe send her a casual text, hinting at how 'bad our communication' has been recently to see if she gets the hint?

Have any of you ever had to deal with such a situation?

Are you male?
Reply 2
Haha no. We are both females. Completely platonic friendship. I should have mentioned that in the first post.
I'll be honest OP you are looking at this rather selfishly, you even said so yourself its not just you she hasn't been contacting much. It sounds to me like this girl is in pain, maybe stop to ask her how she is doing. She may need someone right now but doesn't know how to reach out.
Haha no. We are both females. Completely platonic friendship. I should have mentioned that in the first post.

Oh I'm sorry then I have no good words of advice for you. Not my specialty subject !
Reply 5
Original post by SophieSmall
I'll be honest OP you are looking at this rather selfishly, you even said so yourself its not just you she hasn't been contacting much. It sounds to me like this girl is in pain, maybe stop to ask her how she is doing. She may need someone right now but doesn't know how to reach out.

I've thought about it, but I doubt it.

She was at home this past weekend (we both live in London, but her family/relatives etc live up north) for a cousin's birthday... And it seemed like she had a great time (from her sister's Facebook post!).

There was also no hint of anything troubling her last time I saw her (10 days ago)... I know she had problems with her boyfriend back in December last year, but she said things were back to normal with him again last time I saw her and she seemed happy.

She's generally quite reserved when it comes to her personal life, so I never push her to say things she may not want to share...

My theory was that perhaps she's just busy with work (she's a workaholic and has recently started to work extra hours etc) so maybe she's just decided she wants to focus on her career for a while... I'm not sure.

Either way, she knows she can contact me whenever she wants to and she hasn't.
To be fair if you're just sending emojis/emoticons whatever they're called maybe she found it funny before but now she's probably tired of the same old thing maybe? Also I know my schedule has changed and it's hectic so if any of my mates text me that I'd probably not reply or they'd be waiting a long time.

You've got to text her something with substance that actually warrants a reply.

You said you don't usually go more than 7 days without talking..it's only been 10 which is only 3 days more than usual. She's probably as you said got a busy schedule. You've already said she's being quiet with everyone - that means she is busy. So don't take it so personal.

My mate and I are really good friends but we're both very busy, so busy that I could take up to 5 days to reply to a message (or him the same with me) and I wouldn't even really notice because days are rolling into one for us these days.

What I would suggest is yes, ask if she wants to meet up on the weekend, she'll only say yes or no. Depending on what happens with that you can decide how you want to proceed.

You're in your mid twenties so only a couple years older than me, you're too old to be 'hinting' at anything. If you think you want to bring it up ask her straight, don't beat around the bush.

Also there are always times in relationships friendship wise or other wise, where it goes from 50:50 to maybe 70:30 for a short period of time due to whatever circumstances but it always tends to go back to 50:50 at some point :smile:
Reply 7
Ive actually been on the other side of your story (as the person who suddenly distances themselves).
Now that i look back on it, I look at the whole talking everyday thing as a phase. The whole thing can be really tiring. I remember how the whole thing turned into your current situation, i suddenly had a new set of responsibilities i was dead focused on addressing, i stopped going on FB as a result and did stop talking to alot of people, kinda found it really relaxing and never thought of going back to talking everyday with individuals and such. Hey i'd feel slightly upset if they thought i was ignoring them, but i do see where they're coming from.
Basically, she might have something new in her life thats taking priority over her social life right now. Just give it time. Dont keep the no talking thing too long otherwise itll just be awkward to start a conversation. Try talk/meet up outside somewhere. 10 days isnt alot of time at all. Dont leave this no contact thing longer than 3-4 weeks.
So it hasn't crossed your mind that she might be busy? Maybe her dog died or something. Or she has a new job or whatever.

Could just ask her... lol.
Reply 9
Original post by MaseratiJay
To be fair if you're just sending emojis/emoticons whatever they're called maybe she found it funny before but now she's probably tired of the same old thing maybe? Also I know my schedule has changed and it's hectic so if any of my mates text me that I'd probably not reply or they'd be waiting a long time.

You've got to text her something with substance that actually warrants a reply.

You said you don't usually go more than 7 days without talking..it's only been 10 which is only 3 days more than usual. She's probably as you said got a busy schedule. You've already said she's being quiet with everyone - that means she is busy. So don't take it so personal.

My mate and I are really good friends but we're both very busy, so busy that I could take up to 5 days to reply to a message (or him the same with me) and I wouldn't even really notice because days are rolling into one for us these days.

What I would suggest is yes, ask if she wants to meet up on the weekend, she'll only say yes or no. Depending on what happens with that you can decide how you want to proceed.

You're in your mid twenties so only a couple years older than me, you're too old to be 'hinting' at anything. If you think you want to bring it up ask her straight, don't beat around the bush.

Also there are always times in relationships friendship wise or other wise, where it goes from 50:50 to maybe 70:30 for a short period of time due to whatever circumstances but it always tends to go back to 50:50 at some point :smile:

Thanks for this, it made me put things into perspective. I can be the same sometimes, with some of my long term best friends even, we can go weeks without talking and yet I never doubt their friendship.

I guess it's cuz she's still quite a 'new' friend (6 months is pretty long, but not long enough I guess?) it's made me paranoid a bit ha! But maybe the 'honeymoon' phase of the friendship is over now, and I need to stop worrying about the communication being so constant...

Also, you're right about friendships sometimes being a bit less balanced and then going back... Once again thanks for your advice :smile:
Thanks for this, it made me put things into perspective. I can be the same sometimes, with some of my long term best friends even, we can go weeks without talking and yet I never doubt their friendship.

I guess it's cuz she's still quite a 'new' friend (6 months is pretty long, but not long enough I guess?) it's made me paranoid a bit ha! But maybe the 'honeymoon' phase of the friendship is over now, and I need to stop worrying about the communication being so constant...

Also, you're right about friendships sometimes being a bit less balanced and then going back... Once again thanks for your advice :smile:

Yeah definitely not a long time but with the way people are these days it probably is quite a considerable amount of time.

No problem :smile: I hope all goes well!
You should ask her if she's okay and let her know you're there for her. It's probably not about you so don't take it personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending