The Student Room Group

Guy and girl friends - eventually something will happen?

Okay i realise that this topic may have been done before, but the thing is lately i have been discussing this topic with some people, and it seems all of them think that a guy and girl cant be JUST friends with something happening eventually. I have always believed that is not true but recently several things happened with several different people have led me to believe otherwise, and i am wondering if this is an universal thing...is it true that a girl and a boy cannot be friends without one of them eventually feel something towards the other?
Anonymous
Okay i realise that this topic may have been done before, but the thing is lately i have been discussing this topic with some people, and it seems all of them think that a guy and girl cant be JUST friends with something happening eventually. I have always believed that is not true but recently several things happened with several different people have led me to believe otherwise, and i am wondering if this is an universal thing...is it true that a girl and a boy cannot be friends without one of them eventually feel something towards the other?

A girl and a guy can definitely be friends without one of them eventually feeling something towards the other. I have had many friends who are girls who I haven't feel anything more towards and neither have they. However, i will admit that there have also been one or two that i have felt differently towards, but not all of them. Therefore, in my opinion, it is absolutely possible for a girl and a guy to be friends with nothing more than feelings of friendship.
Reply 2
Anonymous

A girl and a guy cannot be friends. You say nothing will ever happen between you two, but eventually feelings might develop.
Reply 3
well ive been best friends with a girl since year 3, still are now, i see her every day in 6th form, most of my a level classes, i dont fancy her or have feelings towards her though, i just see her as 'one of the boys' if you get me
Reply 4
it's a bit weird thinking that when you think about how ... if your boyfriend is popular, with both girls and boys, surely by that logic he'll start developing feelings for one or two of his female friends and some of them will develop feelings for him, etc.

and then there's you, the girlfriend, obviously, who has male friends, possibly, who, again by that logic, will eventually develop romantic feelings towards you or you them...

it's a vicious circle

sort of
Reply 5
ajizzle
well ive been best friends with a girl since year 3, still are now, i see her every day in 6th form, most of my a level classes, i dont fancy her or have feelings towards her though, i just see her as 'one of the boys' if you get me

Yes, you might feel that way - but perhaps she may not.
G4ry
Yes, you might feel that way - but perhaps she may not.

I agree. Forgive me for sounding like such a cynic but I don't think that a guy and girl can be just friends without one of them starting to feel things for the other (even though it is not expressed). Read Celia Ahern's book "Where rainbows end" :redface: .However this does not mean that the feelings will be acted upon because maybe one of them might already have a partner or don't want to complicate things or maybe they are not even aware that their 'friend' likes them in a romantic way.

I've been in this situation so many times where I have been on both sides of the story where either I started liking the guy or him liking me :s-smilie: . T'is a darn shame really. I suppose you can't really make sweeping statments on this topc really because each situation will be different.

P.s. I like my friend at the moment and he likes me back (methinks) but won't act on it :frown: :rolleyes:
I used to think that guys and girls could just be friends and nothing more but, after a few experiences recently, I now highly doubt it.
Reply 8
ajizzle

Have either of you been in relationships in that time?
This is ridiculous. Of course guys and girls can be friends without feeling anything for each other than friendship. Seriously, it is quite frankly silly to think that all friendships between guys and girls cannot be just simple friendship, that one or the other has to feel more for the other.
Reply 10
nah, theconfuddledone, it's not that silly. really.

i used to think that, but then i realised i had ...romantic feelings for one of my male friends a few months ago (it's all passed now) and found out another one of my male friends, of about 5 years, has feelings for me.

i don't know, maybe it's just human nature. but i do think that, at some point in the friendship, one or the other (or both!) will experience sexual attraction for the other

that's not to say that something will happen. so, technically, it IS possible to remain friends forever... but the "and never develop feelings for eachother" thing is not so certain.
Reply 11
King Leigh
Have either of you been in relationships in that time?

yes
Reply 12
it possible not to have feelings for eachother, thats like saying, if youre a boy and your best mate is a boy, then you will eventually have feelings for eachother. which would mean that most people are bio or gay
Reply 13
no, aj, it's not like saying that at all

i can't even begin to explain why it's not like that in any way...
Reply 14
hmm
That's ridiculous. Most of my friends, both at home and at uni, are male. While there have been some instances where a male friend has had feelings for me, or vice versa, I have many male friends where there's been no such attraction.
ph9
nah, theconfuddledone, it's not that silly. really.

i used to think that, but then i realised i had ...romantic feelings for one of my male friends a few months ago (it's all passed now) and found out another one of my male friends, of about 5 years, has feelings for me.

i don't know, maybe it's just human nature. but i do think that, at some point in the friendship, one or the other (or both!) will experience sexual attraction for the other

that's not to say that something will happen. so, technically, it IS possible to remain friends forever... but the "and never develop feelings for eachother" thing is not so certain.

You are completely basing this on just your own experiences. Ok, if i did that then i could prove you wrong because i have had friendships with girls where there has been absolutely no feelings but that of friendship. Yes, there have been some where i have or she has, but to say that absolutely every friendship between a male and a female ends up this way at some point in feelings despite nothing happening is ridiculous. Not every friendship ends up like that, you are just basing that on your own experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending