The Student Room Group

Bitchy friends

Long story short, most of my friends from my school tend to bitch and complain about everyone during conversation - I'm a guy. People seem to know everything about each other and when conversation kicks it tends to be one person just complaining about something or gossiping. Fair enough it can be interesting sometimes what you hear, but I honestly feel like they just have nothing to talk about.

On top of that I have a friend who insults people to make up for his lack of humour. I feel sorry for him, but sometimes it gets annoying as he belittles people in the process and people laugh and I'm just there thinking why are people laughing - I've had it done to me, but then I just mock him so he avoids me now. The point is I'm irritated that this is all my friends can offer in conversation. There's one or two who talk about interesting things, but it seems it other people don't imitate.

We're all out of school, it's been about 2 years since we left. Everyone studying at university but when we meet up during the summer it's the same thing every time. Surprisingly, there's a correlation between the people who go to better universities and better conversations. Even at my university I feel like people there can converse and show of humour without insulting others.

The reason I'm writing this is because I'm thinking about cutting contact with the majority of my school friends. I just want to know what people think. Am I right or wrong?
Original post by Anonymous
Long story short, most of my friends from my school tend to bitch and complain about everyone during conversation - I'm a guy. People seem to know everything about each other and when conversation kicks it tends to be one person just complaining about something or gossiping. Fair enough it can be interesting sometimes what you hear, but I honestly feel like they just have nothing to talk about.

On top of that I have a friend who insults people to make up for his lack of humour. I feel sorry for him, but sometimes it gets annoying as he belittles people in the process and people laugh and I'm just there thinking why are people laughing - I've had it done to me, but then I just mock him so he avoids me now. The point is I'm irritated that this is all my friends can offer in conversation. There's one or two who talk about interesting things, but it seems it other people don't imitate.

We're all out of school, it's been about 2 years since we left. Everyone studying at university but when we meet up during the summer it's the same thing every time. Surprisingly, there's a correlation between the people who go to better universities and better conversations. Even at my university I feel like people there can converse and show of humour without insulting others.

The reason I'm writing this is because I'm thinking about cutting contact with the majority of my school friends. I just want to know what people think. Am I right or wrong?

If you cant have decent conversations with them dont see any reason why not to cut contact with them
Reply 2
Seriously, anyone?
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
If you cant have decent conversations with them dont see any reason why not to cut contact with them

Excuse my previous post. I didn't see this reply. I'm thinking the same thing, it just seems like such a waste to throw away a part of my past.
Original post by Anonymous
Excuse my previous post. I didn't see this reply. I'm thinking the same thing, it just seems like such a waste to throw away a part of my past.

I wouldnt think of it as throwing anything away but more recognising that people change and that theres better friends out there for you. No point spending time with people you no longer really enjoy spending time with.
I think you need to move on. You don't have anything in common with them anymore and you can find better conversation elsewhere. You don't need to cut all contact, maybe just distance yourself slowly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending