Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does the reference need to be finished before sending off my application to UCAS?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Mesosleepy)
    Does the reference need to be finished before sending off my application to UCAS?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    You can pay for it before the reference is submitted but the application won't be complete and you can fail the deadline until the reference is delivered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yes
    So if i click on pay/send, it won't let me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    You can pay for it before the reference is submitted but the application won't be complete and you can fail the deadline until the reference is delivered
    Once I pay, does my details on my ucas get sent to my teacher who does my reference?

Once I pay, does my details on my ucas get sent to my teacher who does my reference?
    Yes. And then he/she attaches the reference and sends it to UCAS, who send it to your universities. Your referee can also send it back to you if they think you've made a mistake on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Yes. And then he/she attaches the reference and sends it to UCAS, who send it to your universities. Your referee can also send it back to you if they think you've made a mistake on it.
    So they will check my detail are correct before sending?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know what happens when you apply for ucas as a external student? Do you still need a reference or can you use the one you was given last year?

So they will check my detail are correct before sending?
    Most likely. I'm slightly unsure about this because my referee didn't look at my application in detail -- when she sent it back to me, her complaints were what I would suspect one might think from looking at my application but not reading it. 'You seem to have a lot of GCSE -- did you take extra ones in your own time?' was the main one.

(Original post by Evil Genius)
    Anybody know what happens when you apply for ucas as a external student? Do you still need a reference or can you use the one you was given last year?
    You need a reference. In this case it would have to be somebody like an employer or somebody who can attest to your academic ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    You need a reference. In this case it would have to be somebody like an employer or somebody who can attest to your academic ability.
    I don't really have a reference right now tbh? Is last years reference on the ucas system still?

Can I ask my last years tutor or someone to do it?

(Original post by Evil Genius)
    I don't really have a reference right now tbh? Is last years reference on the ucas system still?

Can I ask my last years tutor or someone to do it?
    Unlikely. Even if you want to use last year's reference, you'd still need to apply through the school that gave you that reference and agree with them that they'll write you a reference.

Yeah, just ask whoever does the reference at your school to do it. Are you a gap year applicant? If so, that's perfectly okay -- I did it too. They didn't mind writing me a reference.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.