The Student Room Group

Does it matter where you study Medicine?

I'm very curious about this, as I've seen people on here say 'it doesn't matter where you got your medicine degree from; they're all valued the same'.

What do you guys think? I've provided my academical summary below:

GCSE Predicted grades:

Core Science A(aiming for A*)
-Additional Science A(aiming for A*)
-Further Additional Science A(A* if I work harder)
-Maths A( Will get A*)
-English Language A (Achievable, but will take some work)
-English Liteature A(Oh god, no.)
-Computer Science A (Fun subject)
-French A(A* If I work harder)
-History A(A* If I work harder)
-RE half course A (It's a half-course, laughably easy)
-IT, don't take the option but perhaps being entered into the exam. B( ECDL qualification)

Future A level options(RIP Sixth Form life):
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Biology
-Physics

Scroll to see replies

No it dosent matter :smile:
I know someone who studied med at Coventry and is now earning £35K per year
But it does matter the grades you get at AS and A2
Reply 2
It does make a difference, a Medicine graduate from Oxbridge is going to more respected than one from a less well known university. However, the difference is to a lesser degree compared to say Economics, Law or Engineering.
Reply 3
Original post by toonervoustotalk
No it dosent matter :smile:
I know someone who studied med at Coventry and is now earning £35K per year
But it does matter the grades you get at AS and A2

You can't do Medicine at Coventry
Original post by h3110

Oops then i meant to say Cardiff never mind
It does matter what uni you go to
Reply 6
No it does not. Everyone who says otherwise hasn't studied medicine. (It doesnt matter where you have studied in the UK)
Dont BS about something you know nothing about thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by h3110

He means Warwick medical school, which is only for Graduate medicine, not undergraduate.
Reply 8
Not if you are planning to stay in the UK...
Yes it does as each medical school has a different course structure and teaching styles, so the 'best' = the one that suits you the most. Though no one medical school is "more reputable" than any other.
It's such a common misconception that Medicine is the same wherever you go - I used to believe it myself. If you want to be a doctor in the UK, you have to study Medicine in the UK. All graduates qualifying from the EU and across the world face so many impossible challenges just to get a license to practice in the UK, let alone find a job. Only a very small proportion of FY1 and FY2 locum jobs are available to overseas graduates (with fierce competition) while all the UK graduates are virtually guaranteed a job straight out of medical school. And to top it off, foreign graduates will constantly have to suffer judgement, derision and discrimination from other doctors about the quality of their training just because it wasn't in the UK. There are some pretty decent medical schools in other countries (probably better than some in the UK) producing lots of highly-skilled and knowledgeable doctors who struggle for years to find jobs in the NHS. And as I wasn't good enough to qualify in the UK, I'm gonna be one of those people who can't get a license to practice Medicine in my own country.
Reply 11
Original post by ForestCat
Where you get your degree makes absolutely no difference for Medicine.

I see, so would it be 'acceptable' for me to do medicine at the UEA(local university) as opposed to fearing rejection at places like Imperial College and Bristol?
Reply 12
Original post by asif007
It's such a common misconception that Medicine is the same wherever you go - I used to believe it myself. If you want to be a doctor in the UK, you have to study Medicine in the UK. All graduates qualifying from the EU and across the world face so many impossible challenges just to get a license to practice in the UK, let alone find a job. Only a very small proportion of FY1 and FY2 locum jobs are available to overseas graduates (with fierce competition) while all the UK graduates are virtually guaranteed a job straight out of medical school. And to top it off, foreign graduates will constantly have to suffer judgement, derision and discrimination from other doctors about the quality of their training just because it wasn't in the UK. There are some pretty decent medical schools in other countries (probably better than some in the UK) producing lots of highly-skilled and knowledgeable doctors who struggle for years to find jobs in the NHS. And as I wasn't good enough to qualify in the UK, I'm gonna be one of those people who can't get a license to practice Medicine in my own country.

I mean within the UK, are degrees of medicine all valued the same?
Original post by Mayhem™
I see, so would it be 'acceptable' for me to do medicine at the UEA(local university) as opposed to fearing rejection at places like Imperial College and Bristol?

Of course. You'll still graduate with the same medical degree and the same job prospects.

But only apply to UEA if you actually stand a chance of getting an interview. The sad thing about Medicine is that you have to apply strategically to places where you score well on their pre-interview criteria (UKCAT, GCSEs etc).
Reply 14
It seriously doesn't matter.

I'm applying at the moment, and because it's just so hard to get into anywhere, most graduate medics are treated and respected similarly.

I remember saying as a passing comment to a medical student why is it just so hard to get into, and she said because it's not just getting onto the course, it's a job application. And it really is- once you have got into medicine, pretty much everyone's in the same ball game after that. It's very rare for a graduate medic to not go on and get a job- which is why medicine is so sought after.

Just some stats...
In 2015, there were 82,034 applicants fighting for 7,424 places to study medicine in the UK with some medical schools reporting 1000 applications for 50 places.

It's mad. I wish you every luck- make sure your application stands out ! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Of course. You'll still graduate with the same medical degree and the same job prospects.

But only apply to UEA if you actually stand a chance of getting an interview. The sad thing about Medicine is that you have to apply strategically to places where you score well on their pre-interview criteria (UKCAT, GCSEs etc).

GCSE Predicted grades:

-Maths A( Will get A*)
-IT, don't take the option but perhaps being entered into the exam. B( ECDL qualification)

-Chemistry
-Maths
-Biology
-Physics

Personally I'll be aiming for at least A in 3 of the 4 A level subjects I'll take, and feel that I could achieve this with the right work ethic and determination.

What do you think, do I stand a chance?
And also, do you have any views on the UEA?
Original post by Mayhem™
GCSE Predicted grades:

-Maths A( Will get A*)

-Chemistry
-Maths
-Biology
-Physics

Personally I'll be aiming for at least A in 3 of the 4 A level subjects I'll take, and feel that I could achieve this with the right work ethic and determination.

What do you think, do I stand a chance?
And also, do you have any views on the UEA?

Of course you have a chance. But TBH you're better off worrying about getting those grades than trying to work out where to apply. We can't advise you on where to apply until you've actually got your GCSE grades and you've sat the UKCAT.

No, I don't have any thoughts about UEA, except that its a medical school. If you stand a good chance at interview when the time comes, then apply there. If not, apply with your strengths (high UKCAT, good GCSEs etc).
Original post by Mayhem™
I mean within the UK, are degrees of medicine all valued the same?

Yes. Exactly the same. Applications to FY1/2 are blind and after that applications are based on additional degrees (classification, not university), publications and research etc.
Original post by may_1
It seriously doesn't matter.

I'm applying at the moment, and because it's just so hard to get into anywhere, most graduate medics are treated and respected similarly.

I remember saying as a passing comment to a medical student why is it just so hard to get into, and she said because it's not just getting onto the course, it's a job application. And it really is- once you have got into medicine, pretty much everyone's in the same ball game after that. It's very rare for a graduate medic to not go on and get a job- which is why medicine is so sought after.

Just some stats...
In 2015, there were 82,034 applicants fighting for 7,424 places to study medicine in the UK with some medical schools reporting 1000 applications for 50 places.

It's mad. I wish you every luck- make sure your application stands out ! :biggrin:

Those stats though :lolwut:
Reply 19
Of course you have a chance. But TBH you're better off worrying about getting those grades than trying to work out where to apply. We can't advise you on where to apply until you've actually got your GCSE grades and you've sat the UKCAT.

No, I don't have any thoughts about UEA, except that its a medical school. If you stand a good chance at interview when the time comes, then apply there. If not, apply with your strengths (high UKCAT, good GCSEs etc).

Okay, thank you for the information!

Latest

Trending

Trending