The Student Room Group

Are your parents strict regarding your grades?

If so, how strict? I'll start - my dad won't accept anything below an A*. Mum is a bit more chill and thinks anything below an A is shameful to the family name.

Scroll to see replies

No, my parents know that I want to achieve the best grades possible so they let me be.
Reply 2
my parents wanted me to do well but they never pressured me or anything, they knew I could just get on with it and get the good results we all wanted.
Nope. They just wanted me to try my best and forget about the result :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Mayhem™
No, my parents know that I want to achieve the best grades possible so they let me be.

Way to make my parents look like ****. :ashamed:
Reply 5
Original post by Indeterminate

Would you say that motivates you more? :colone:
Original post by flippantri
If so, how strict? I'll start - my dad won't accept anything below an A*. Mum is a bit more chill and thinks anything below an A is shameful to the family name.

Are your parents asian by any chance?
Not really. My mum and step-dad weren't / aren't very academic-focused themselves, so didn't place a lot of pressure on high grades.

In fact, my mum told me I could feel free to get a U in RE as she didn't care much about me getting good grades in something religion-related.
nah. they wouldn't tend to pressure me - they'd be very supportive for me getting good grades, but I'd never get punished or scolded for getting bad grades
but they *did* for better or worse give me the impression that university was the only viable option after school
Original post by flippantri

Quite honestly I wish they were harsher about my grades. I WANT them to tell me with anything under A*, but the don't. :frown: #FirstWorldProblemsXD
Original post by the greatest
Are your parents asian by any chance?

Nope, worse, Eastern European.
yes omg. anything below an A is basically seen as a fail in my parents eyes. and it's stressing me the **** out :frown:
No - but they do care if I don't try.
Original post by acupofgreentea
Not really. My mum and step-dad weren't / aren't very academic-focused themselves, so didn't place a lot of pressure on high grades.

In fact, my mum told me I could feel free to get a U in RE as she didn't care much about me getting good grades in something religion-related.

To be fair, my mum says the same about Religion and also languages ("do they really matter?"). Her interests lie within STEM.

I know how it feels when your parents say this.:u: My grandparents always tell me that. Omg I remember not performing well once and my granddad was like 'why you worrying?Try harder next time'. Aww that made so happy!:h:
Original post by lillyroselove
yes omg. anything below an A is basically seen as a fail in my parents eyes. and it's stressing me the **** out :frown:

You do you, try your hardest. Deep down, they'll be proud even if you fail to achieve the A's they so desperately desire.
There's quite a bit of pressure on the small exams/pre-publics, but leading up to big exams (e.g. GCSEs last summer), they tend to pamper me and come out with stuff like "as long as you try your hardest".
I think it's because they assume that if I'm not doing well in the small exams then I'm not working hard enough but they recognise that when it comes to public exams, I just need to be in the right frame of mind and that putting pressure on me/stressing me out isn't going to help in the slightest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17

Sounds like they were trying to give you a lesson from the Gita :laugh:
i said to my parents i get what i get school is a load of s**t i can make more with what i have learnt in my chosen area there people making millions a year doing what i do
Sort of. They got extremely pissed when I messed up on A2 haha. But they trust that I try hard and will try again to do better!
Come from a non-academic family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending