The Student Room Group

Think I may have blown my chances ...

For the last couple of days, I've been worried that I may have blown my chances of getting into my first choice uni. I need a B in English Language, but really messed up my last exam (worth 15%).

Last year, I got ABB in my A/S modules and came out on average with a B. I got an A on my coursework this year (again worth 15%) but probably got a D or an E on my last exam. I'm afraid I won't be able to make it up, as the D/E has dragged down my average.

Can anyone put me at ease and tell me I'm being stupid ......? Please, help.

Scroll to see replies

your being stupid....
cymruambyth
For the last couple of days, I've been worried that I may have blown my chances of getting into my first choice uni. I need a B in English Language, but really messed up my last exam (worth 15%).

Last year, I got ABB in my A/S modules and came out on average with a B. I got an A on my coursework this year (again worth 15%) but probably got a D or an E on my last exam. I'm afraid I won't be able to make it up, as the D/E has dragged down my average.

Your being stupid :biggrin: . You wont know until you get the results. You may surprise yourself. Even if you don't get the grade and there are still places left on the course then you may still be able to take the course at your 1st choice. What university have you listed as your 1st choice.
Reply 3
York. And I've heard they're not too lenient when it comes to not getting the grades. I've had panic attacks over this whole thing. I will have wasted 2 years of my life if I can't get into my 1st choice.
Reply 4
cymruambyth

:smile: stupid....even though i'm like that these days.......anyway most think we did really bad in an exam until we get the results.......and theres no point worrying about it cos you can't change anything and haven't even got the results yet!!
Sorry but my sister got a B in history instead of an A and york refused her for it...sorry to make you feel bad.

15% isn't much though, you could still get an A despite that.
cymruambyth
York. And I've heard they're not too lenient when it comes to not getting the grades. I've had panic attacks over this whole thing. I will have wasted 2 years of my life if I can't get into my 1st choice.

Your going to have to wait for the results. Don't beat yourself up over it. If you are that worried speak to the university and discuss your concern with them. They may see dedication and just let you have the place. If there isn't that much demand for your course at York then they will give the place to fill it up. Anyway - good luck with it. I' sure you'll be fine.
Reply 7
Just to make it clear:

ELang1 (15%): A
ELang2 (15%): B
ELang3 (20%): B
ELang4 (15%): D/E
ELang5 (15%): A
ELang6 (20%): ?

Have I ruined my chances by getting that D/E?
Reply 8
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! :smile:
Hey, now is really not the time to speculate. I thought I screwed up my Eng Lit last year because I honestly summarised the text instead of analysing it. I got a C for one module and an A for the other, which gave me an overall A. It really depends also on how high your As and Bs were, and if you're being too harsh on yourself and get a A-C instead of a D/E, you're probably safe.

Do take care! I know how it feels to be this nervous, but there is nothing you can do until your actual results come out.
Reply 10
I think I've had one high A (ELang5) and the B's are pretty low, about 71-75%. I keep thinking about how gutted my parents will be if I don't get into York. I'll be pretty gutted too!
Would not getting into York really be the end of the world? If so you really need to get a life, more so then me.
Reply 12
cymruambyth
I think I've had one high A (ELang5) and the B's are pretty low, about 71-75%. I keep thinking about how gutted my parents will be if I don't get into York. I'll be pretty gutted too!

Even if you don't get the grade, they may still let you have the place if you only missed it by a few marks. I didn't get the A grade I needed in Maths, and was still offered the place.

Don't worry about it though. You probably didn't do as bad as you thought, and if it was a hard paper they'll be more lenient. And to put it bluntly, there isn't a thing you can do about the paper now, so there's no point stressing over it.
Reply 13
Just gotta try my best on the next paper. Cheers everyone.
Reply 14
cymruambyth

C'mon, don't be stupid. If you worry about how badly you did in this exam, you'll just screw up even worse on the next. Put it behind you. Don't be stupid.
Reply 15
I think most of us feel like this when you have to do several units.

Last year in French I got ACC so averaged out C for my AS. I re-took the oral in January and ended up C again but I've just re-done my unit 1 and 2 again so I think I may now have a higher A and perhaps a B but I just don't know.

Then for the A2 I'm wondering perhaps I got a C in the oral again if I'm lucky, but perhaps an A in the unit 4 and who knows in my coursework.. maybe B. So it's like touch and go, am I gonna scrape that all needed B or not.

But there's no point in continuing to worry about it. Try to be optimistic and cross the bridge if and when you come to it. That's how I'm dealing with it.
Dont worry about it. theres nothing you can do now until you get your grades. I mean im in the same position and so are most people - worrying about getting their required grades. I need a A in English to get in to Nottingham, but theres no point of stressing yourself out until you get you results.

Be happy!!!! :smile:
Reply 17
Im feeling exactly the same, Im certain ive cocked up and I dont think Im gonna make the grades.
Reply 18
Logarithm
How shit are these 1 hour per module exams, testing half the syllabus? Don't you think it's really stupid?

Why don't they make us sit 1.5 hour per module exams or 2 hour per module exams - Testng the sysllabus properly and discriminating more clearly between candidates? It's so stupid I swear.

Only had 2 1 hours exams and they were for AS retakes. I was banking on getting an A in maths or Physics incase I didnt get a B for chemistry. After todays chemistry exam I wont be getting a B in chemistry, so that leaves maths and physics. My last maths exam is tomorrow and Im still revising, my last physics exam is on monday and Ive yet to start revising, so no A's for maths/physics and no B for chemistry. Oh well :frown:
Reply 19
imasillynarb
Only had 2 1 hours exams and they were for AS retakes. I was banking on getting an A in maths or Physics incase I didnt get a B for chemistry. After todays chemistry exam I wont be getting a B in chemistry, so that leaves maths and physics. My last maths exam is tomorrow and Im still revising, my last physics exam is on monday and Ive yet to start revising, so no A's for maths/physics and no B for chemistry. Oh well :frown:

and you've still got the motherbitch of CHM5 to go...

Latest

Trending

Trending