The Student Room Group

Article: You can still get into your firm even if you don't meet your offer

Scroll to see replies

If you have any questions, just pop them in here :h:
Reply 2
Original post by She-Ra

So random question, I've managed to get Brighton as my firm choice and I am totally unsure on how my results will come out but, I have been getting a few emails from the university to confirm my accommodation and from the supporting staff at the uni. My question is...do you think this is a good sign or do you think that its just what they do with everyone?
Its a very very good sign. Congrats
Original post by samhl
So random question, I've managed to get Brighton as my firm choice and I am totally unsure on how my results will come out but, I have been getting a few emails from the university to confirm my accommodation and from the supporting staff at the uni. My question is...do you think this is a good sign or do you think that its just what they do with everyone?

Those emails will be standard - the accommodation people aren't involved in admissions decisions and will rarely have access to results/decisions before results day.
This isn't really news. It's been a known fact for quite awhile - so much so, that my teachers purposely over-predict students with the knowledge that they'll get in anyways. It's a really *****y and unfair practice. There's been people who've gotten in to AAA courses with ABB.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Those emails will be standard - the accommodation people aren't involved in admissions decisions and will rarely have access to results/decisions before results day.

Thanks, I had a feeling it was just standard.
Got a question, would i be able to phone up my uni course's admissions office to ask them if got in or not?
Original post by Gabriel420
Got a question, would i be able to phone up my uni course's admissions office to ask them if got in or not?

All the results are strictly embargoed so you won't find out until Track opens at 8am on Thursday.
Reply 9
Original post by She-Ra

Hi

I'm holding offers for deferred entry so to start in September 2017. I highly doubt I'll meet my grades for these offers but was wondering whether I can enter into clearing this year to try and get a different deferred entry offer.

If not do I just reapply again in Autumn 2016 and then see what happens?

Thank you very much
Original post by martaeg
Hi

I'm holding offers for deferred entry so to start in September 2017. I highly doubt I'll meet my grades for these offers but was wondering whether I can enter into clearing this year to try and get a different deferred entry offer.

If not do I just reapply again in Autumn 2016 and then see what happens?

Thank you very much

Clearing isn't usually a great plan if you're deferring (and many universities wont consider deferred applications - a lot of firm deferred applicants withdraw during their gap year, this is much more likely with clearing applicants so it's a lot of work for little benefit). If you miss your firm and insurance (and they reject you) then you're better reapplying in your gap year - it will give you more time to make a good decision.
The British system with it's predicted grades, offers, firm and back-up choices etc. is ridiculous.

Here in Germany you do your A-Levels, you get your final grades quickly, then you apply to as many universities as you want, quickly get your decisions, pick one, and start uni there a few weeks after. Clean, efficient, no uncertainty, and you can focus on your A-Levels (for which we of course have a non-generic, Latin word).
Reply 12
Original post by She-Ra

Hi, in order to get into uni I needed an average of 9 but i scored 8,75 ( I didn't take the A-levels). Do you think I can still get in? Btw, I applied for a management degree :smile:
Original post by b_stef
Hi, in order to get into uni I needed an average of 9 but i scored 8,75 ( I didn't take the A-levels). Do you think I can still get in? Btw, I applied for a management degree :smile:

Did you read the article? It explains how common it is (but there's no guarantees - do your universities have your results?)
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
Did you read the article? It explains how common it is (but there's no guarantees - do your universities have your results?)

Hi, I did read it and I know it differs from one uni to another but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. I sent them about a week ago but still didn't hear back.
Hi just looking for some advice.* I have applied to Plymouth (my firm) to do Early Childhood studies. I need 280 points with a minimum of 160 from two A levels which would be two C's. I already*have a Distinction* in my btec which is 140 points. I have seen it in clearing and don't think it is a very competitive course but am worried about the two a levels being C's, how likely is it to*be to accepted with*two D's, 40 points off what I need from the a levels but only 20 points off the overall amount I need?
Original post by AliceJohn18
Hi just looking for some advice.* I have applied to Plymouth (my firm) to do Early Childhood studies. I need 280 points with a minimum of 160 from two A levels which would be two C's. I already*have a Distinction* in my btec which is 140 points. I have seen it in clearing and don't think it is a very competitive course but am worried about the two a levels being C's, how likely is it to*be to accepted with*two D's, 40 points off what I need from the a levels but only 20 points off the overall amount I need?

No one can answer this for you

If you read the article you'll see it's common but that's not a guarantee that you will be one of the lucky ones
Original post by She-Ra

Hi,
UCAS have said that I was successful and got a place at my CF. however I sort of expected my uni to contact me directly saying I have a place. Is this normal or should I ring up my uni and ask if I have a place? Just curious.
Thanks
Original post by Hickey1000
Hi,
UCAS have said that I was successful and got a place at my CF. however I sort of expected my uni to contact me directly saying I have a place. Is this normal or should I ring up my uni and ask if I have a place? Just curious.
Thanks

Has your Track changed? :smile: It should say unconditional firm. The uni will be in touch with the AS12 email/ letter, sit tight you should receive it soon :h:

Congrats on making your offer! Excited about uni?
I applied to Surrey for Accounting and Finance, I have a conditional offer of AAB but I have this feeling, I think I won't make it. The reason being: I chose Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The hardest combination. I wanted to do medicine but changed my mind completely for accountancy instead. Does anyone know if The university of Surrey is lenient when it comes to the results day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending