The Student Room Group

Gender acceptance at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Anonymous
As someone starting uni this September I'm a bit worried about the level of open mindedness.

I'm a person who doesn't identify strongly as male or female and I use the term nonbinary (and they/them pronouns).
I don't want people not to take me seriously but I also don't want to have to hide this part of myself for my entire time at uni.

Does anyone have any advice/opinions of their own? If you were in my situation or if you were someone I met - what would your thoughts be if I told you this?

Thanks for any help!

I can't vouch for the rest of humanity, but the general assumption is no one gives a ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get a grip you are male or a female, you may not be a manly man or a girly girl but you are either a man or a woman. It is perfectly acceptable to be a female who enjoys a pint of Stella and a game of rugby at the weekend and it is perfectly acceptable for men to drink a glass of rosè and not go to the gym every day to get stacked. No one cares whether you have tradationally male/female taste/hobbies/interests that's absolutely fine

However saying you don't identify as one or the other is complete nonsense and that's the sort of thing that will make you an outcast.

That said it's a great way to get yourself on the victim pyramid and it should be enough to have most SJW on your side. A word of warning though, Islam trump's gender issues on the pyramid so it may be worth identifying as that too
It's one thing to identify as the opposite gender, and expect people to use the appropriate pronouns, but it's utterly ridiculous to not 'identify' as either gender and expect people to use 'they/them' - which is a plural, not singular !!
Fair enough if you don't identify as either gender, but this is political correctness taken to the extreme!! Using 'they/them' pronouns for a single person all the time is very awkward and you need to bear that in mind.
Original post by Kyle1198
It's one thing to identify as the opposite gender, and expect people to use the appropriate pronouns, but it's utterly ridiculous to not 'identify' as either gender and expect people to use 'they/them' - which is a plural, not singular !!
Fair enough if you don't identify as either gender, but this is political correctness taken to the extreme!! Using 'they/them' pronouns for a single person all the time is very awkward and you need to bear that in mind.

nah

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending