The Student Room Group

subject Help!

I have just taken my GCSE exams and am stuck on what to take to AS and A2 in preparation for studying medicine.I will definitley be taking Biology and Chemistry for both AS and A2, and am hoping to take Physics alongside this.I plan to only take Physics to AS and then drop it and continue with a more rigorous subject, for example French, History or English Lit. What do people think?Is it ok to drop Physics at AS?What other subject, alongside my sciences do you think I should take?French, English Lit or History?Help I'm stuck!! :confused: :smile:
Reply 1
ruthjane
I have just taken my GCSE exams and am stuck on what to take to AS and A2 in preparation for studying medicine.I will definitley be taking Biology and Chemistry for both AS and A2, and am hoping to take Physics alongside this.I plan to only take Physics to AS and then drop it and continue with a more rigorous subject, for example French, History or English Lit. What do people think?Is it ok to drop Physics at AS?What other subject, alongside my sciences do you think I should take?French, English Lit or History?Help I'm stuck!! :confused: :smile:

It shouldn't be a problems dropping physics after AS. As for the other subject choice - what do you like doing? You will have a better shot at a good grade if you chose a subject you actually enjoy! Also it might be that you decide you like physics and take that on to A2, and drop your 'arty' subject...
thanx! :smile:
Reply 3
Forget doing physics do something doss like maths and some sort of humanity or language... do 4 A-levels loads of REAL work experience none of this pansy work shadowing stuff and you are sorted.
Reply 4
ruthjane

Biology and Chemistry is what you really need to A2.

As someone who has done chem, bio, physics and maths at AS i should warn you that AS physics can be very tricky for those not too good at maths. if you want to do AS physics (but not AS maths) then just make sure you are comfortable with some algebra and trig and i'd say physics is pretty rigorous!
as long as you do A level biology and chemistry you'll be in good shape to apply to most medical schools.
doing an art (or non science) subject such as english, history, religious studies to at least AS is a very good idea as some medschools such as UCL actually prefer it.

if you're serious about medicine i'd start applying to your local hospital to do voluntary work in a ward as it can take several months from you sending off the forms and actually starting work. Definitely get involved with 'Millenium Volunteers' or 'duke of edin.'
good luck

Latest