The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan queries

Hi,

I'm starting university this year at Nottingham and I applied for private accommodation as an undergraduate.

My first issue is that my first accommodation instalment is due on the 24th September 2016 but I get my first maintenance loan instalment on the 26th September 2016 and I was wondering if that could be changed so I could pay off my accommodation fee on time?

Secondly, my maintenance loans come in equal instalments but my accommodation payments are unevenly distributed across three instalments. Therefore, I was wondering if my maintenance loans could be adjusted according to my accommodation fees? (Please note I'm not asking to change the amount of my maintenance loan)

Thanks,
Neha
Original post by NSheth
Hi,

I'm starting university this year at Nottingham and I applied for private accommodation as an undergraduate.

My first issue is that my first accommodation instalment is due on the 24th September 2016 but I get my first maintenance loan instalment on the 26th September 2016 and I was wondering if that could be changed so I could pay off my accommodation fee on time?

Secondly, my maintenance loans come in equal instalments but my accommodation payments are unevenly distributed across three instalments. Therefore, I was wondering if my maintenance loans could be adjusted according to my accommodation fees? (Please note I'm not asking to change the amount of my maintenance loan)

Thanks,
Neha

Your payment dates are fixed by your term dates - there's sometimes a possibility to get paid earlier but only in exceptional circumstances as far as I know.

I'd recommend you get a good student bank account with an interest free overdraft and get some part time work to supplement your loans to help you manage your money across the year. You could also try negotiating with your landlord to see if you can use other payment options to make the costs closer match the pattern of income.

If you're struggling speak to your university about any bursaries or hardship support you might be eligible for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending