Turn on thread page Beta

Can a relationship survive a gap year... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalP)
    Well speaking as a 25 year old who has been through uni..I dont know one couple who stayed together from school --> uni. I do however know one couple who got together in first term of year 1 and are still together. A few other got together in fresher week and split up right after uni....one I know got together the last day of uni and are still together now ( awww).

IMO people do it for comfort, as a crutch and then it becomes habit.
    what? staying together from school, uni, or both?!

I know that I wouldn't stay in a relationship just for that though.

ReputationRep:
    Sarky's boyfriend has only just gone away, but you may still want to chat to her.

ReputationRep:
    both.

I would say sometimes you arent fully aware, over time one loses perspective.

ReputationRep:
    both.

I would say sometimes you arent fully aware, over time one loses perspective.
    that's generalizing.

ReputationRep:
    without knowing you intimately, one has to generalise. Unless you made a thread asking people to post advice specific to your life situation that only you know fully?

ReputationRep:
    someone was suggesting 'taking a break' if we don't want to end our relationship?

ReputationRep:
    then dont you make a mockery of the whole thing? That is just indicative of you using each other as safety blankets...akin to friends with benefits.

Lets say you do take a break and you both pull other people..will you want to be back together after the travelling is over?

ReputationRep:
    then dont you make a mockery of the whole thing? That is just indicative of you using each other as safety blankets...akin to friends with benefits.

Lets say you do take a break and you both pull other people..will you want to be back together after the travelling is over?
    huh?
    No, if we get together with other people, then we won't get back together. He'll be here at university, what if he does? It would be easier for me because I'll be away travelling, so I think it might be unfair of me if I ask him to wait for 10 months. Haven't talked about this thing with him though.

ReputationRep:
    why not ? it depends upon how much love you have for each other, your understanding and commitment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco6)
    huh?
    Haven't talked about this thing with him though.
    Get off TSR and talk to him about it, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Get off TSR and talk to him about it, then.
    yes but it sounds like I want to look elsewhere, when I don't.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to phrase it that way, though. Just tell him you're worried about not being able to see him for so long and talk about ways you can both cope. It's not that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    he might be thinking the same thing after all

ReputationRep:
    he might be thinking the same thing after all
    about this?

yes but it sounds like I want to look elsewhere, when I don't.

ReputationRep:
    well any of your thoughts really. He is your boyf after all...you likely share a lot of common ground here

ReputationRep:
    yes, I guess I will. I just wanted to see if anyone had managed to make their relationship work...hope I'll find someone who did !!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, why does it sound as if you want to hear from other people that it won't work out?

You really do have to have some faith in your relationship, even if it doesn't work out... there is nothing you can do about it. So just keep a positive attitude that it will

Besides its definitely possible if your both willing to make it work, people don't have to fall in love all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambola)
    To be honest, why does it sound as if you want to hear from other people that it won't work out?

You really do have to have some faith in your relationship, even if it doesn't work out... there is nothing you can do about it. So just keep a positive attitude that it will

Besides its definitely possible if your both willing to make it work, people don't have to fall in love all the time.
    lol I think she's simply very worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambola)
    why would i want that? It obviously seems like that though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2007
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.