The Student Room Group

Home / International tuition fees

Hi, I'm a student currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics at a levels in the U.K.
I lived in the U.K. until I was 8, then moved to Dubai and then Qatar. I moved back last summer just before I started my A levels.
By the time I apply for university, I will have been living in the U.K. for 2 years, however I know that to be considered a home student, it should be 3 years.
I was wondering if there's any chance that I would be considered a home student as while abroad, my parents still owned 2 houses in the U.K. (They were being rented out though)?
Is there any way to get around this as I'm hoping to apply for medicine and I don't want to take a gap year in order to receive a home fee status.
Original post by iramh_
Hi, I'm a student currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics at a levels in the U.K.
I lived in the U.K. until I was 8, then moved to Dubai and then Qatar. I moved back last summer just before I started my A levels.
By the time I apply for university, I will have been living in the U.K. for 2 years, however I know that to be considered a home student, it should be 3 years.
I was wondering if there's any chance that I would be considered a home student as while abroad, my parents still owned 2 houses in the U.K. (They were being rented out though)?
Is there any way to get around this as I'm hoping to apply for medicine and I don't want to take a gap year in order to receive a home fee status.

When you lived abroad was that because your parents were working there? If so can you prove that either the work contracts or your visas were temporary (ie for a limited time period).

That's the easiest way to prove that you were "ordinarily" resident in the UK despite living abroad for a period of time.

If you can't prove that then it will be more difficult - maintaining a UK residence will help but they'll also likely need proof of regular trips to the UK and to see proof of UK bank accounts/tax records or similar for the period living abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending