The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist flat earther here to answer your questions.

I don't believe in a god because there is no evidence for a "hierarchical personified deity", whilst at the same time, I have a seemingly 'backward' view of reality, in that I also don't believe the earth is a ball.

I have not seen evidence for the earth being a ball, I have seen the curvature of the earth on go-pro cameras sent up on balloons, but all go-pros have a curved panoramic lens making a flat horizon appear curved.

I don't believe anything I'm told by governmental hierarchical institutions run by the government - and don't even get me started on SpaceX.

I have different views of 'gravity' to the consensus, and obviously a lot of other things.

I'm here to answer your questions and clear up some misconceptions that have gave cultured flat earthers like myself a bad name.

Scroll to see replies

How do you view other planets? They're clearly spherical, yet you interpret them to be flat?
The ultimate hipster.

Reality is too mainstream.
Original post by Carthaginian
How do you view other planets? They're clearly spherical, yet you interpret them to be flat?

I think a "planet" in and of itself, is a concept with assumptive connotations attached to it. The 'idea' of a planet that we currently have, is one of solid matter, held together in a spherical body by a force called gravity.

This is not always how planets were viewed and is somewhat of a modern idea, only a few hundred years old.

Planets to our eyes are identical to stars, only that they move. The sumerians called the planets the "wandering stars", so that's what I think they are. Celestial luminaries.

And I think that's all 'stars' are too, celestial luminaries.
Reply 4
WOW :colonhash:
Original post by ArtemisLogic
I think a "planet" in and of itself, is a concept with assumptive connotations attached to it. The 'idea' of a planet that we currently have, is one of solid matter, held together in a spherical body by a force called gravity.

This is not always how planets were viewed and is somewhat of a modern idea, only a few hundred years old.

Planets to our eyes are identical to stars, only that they move. The sumerians called the planets the "wandering stars", so that's what I think they are. Celestial luminaries.

And I think that's all 'stars' are too, celestial luminaries.

b8
So what would you want for your non-religious funeral?
ArtemisLogic

Illogical post.

:confused:
You're crazy. You can look at the horizon with your own eyes and see the curvature of Earth!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Carthaginian
b8

I know it sounds like bait - or crazy, because it is so removed from the status quo view of reality.

But you can find my Facebook, and I've been talking about this for 2 years on there. I do genuinely believe this, and I believe I can answer any scientific query.

I've tried to prove the earth is a sphere to myself since I realised the spherical science didn't match up, I don't want to believe it is flat.

But to me that is just the logical conclusion when you realise there is no scientific evidence to prove it is a sphere, and everything we have been told is a lie.
I don't believe in a god because there is no evidence for a "hierarchical personified deity", whilst at the same time, I have a seemingly 'backward' view of reality, in that I also don't believe the earth is a ball.

I have not seen evidence for the earth being a ball, I have seen the curvature of the earth on go-pro cameras sent up on balloons, but all go-pros have a curved panoramic lens making a flat horizon appear curved.

I don't believe anything I'm told by governmental hierarchical institutions run by the government - and don't even get me started on SpaceX.

I have different views of 'gravity' to the consensus, and obviously a lot of other things.

I'm here to answer your questions and clear up some misconceptions that have gave cultured flat earthers like myself a bad name.

The simple counter-questions are twofold: how has the supposed "end" of the Earth never been observed, and why don't planes fly directly into space?

Those who believe in a flat Earth are simply illogical, imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Herbivore
You're crazy. You can look at the horizon with your own eyes and see that it is a curve!

This is incorrect, the equations tell you that you cannot see a horizontal curve unless you are something like 27,000-40,000 ft high, I've forgot the number, but this is the consensus, I'll source it if requested.
You're crazy. You can look at the horizon with your own eyes and see that it is a curve!

It's an illusion perpetrated by the machine elves.
This is incorrect, the equations tell you that you cannot see a horizontal curve unless you are something like 27,000-40,000 ft high, I've forgot the number, but this is the consensus, I'll source it if requested.

I.e the height that planes reach. Have you ever been on a plane?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
The simple counter-questions are twofold: how has the "end" of the Earth never been observed, and why don't planes fly directly into space?

You are making the assumption that there is an 'end' to the earth, which there is no evidence to support so I would not believe that.

Nor do I believe it is a 'disc', and have no idea why people jump to this conclusion when they hear flat earth, these are the misconceptions I have came here to clear up.
You are making the assumption that there is an 'end' to the earth, which there is no evidence to support so I would not believe that.

Nor do I believe it is a 'disc', and have no idea why people jump to this conclusion when they hear flat earth, these are the misconceptions I have came here to clear up.

What do you see the Earth's shape as?
Reasons why the Earth is round and not flat:

- If the Earth was flat, then everybody on Earth would be able to see the same set of stars at night. Very simple research showed that the same stars seen in Egypt cannot be seen in northerly regions at the same time, because the Earth is round.
- If you stick a stick in the ground, it will produce a shadow. The shadow moves as time passes (which is the principle for ancient Shadow Clocks). If the world had been flat, then two sticks in different locations would produce the same shadow, which doesn't happen.
- Planes can travel in a relatively straight line a very long time and not fall off any edges. They can also, theoretically (and some do, though with stops along the way), circle the earth and end up reaching their starting position.
- Then you have time zones. At a certain point when the sun is shining on one part of the Earth, the opposite side is dark, and vise versa. That allows for time differences and timezones, specifically ones that are larger than 12 hours. Thiss would be impossible if the Earth was flat.
- If you looked out onto the ocean, you would see that approaching ships do not just “appear” out of the horizon (like they should have if the world was flat), but rather emerge from beneath the sea. This is because they are emerging from the Earth's curvuture shape.
I.e the height that planes reach. Have you ever been on a plane?

Yes I have, when I was younger I did see the curve, but it could have just been because of the slightly convex windows.

Further evidence of mine is seeing footage of a camera being sent up over 100,000ft showing that there was no curvature on the horizon.
Original post by _gcx
What do you see the Earth's shape as?

I don't see it as an object floating in space if that idea is still in your mind, I see it more like a "plane of existence", as opposed to anything planet-like, and I think the span of it is infinite.
Original post by _gcx
The simple counter-questions are twofold: how has the supposed "end" of the Earth never been observed, and why don't planes fly directly into space?

Not to mention that the oceans would just stream over the edge of a flat Earth into space...

Latest