The Student Room Group

Mum won't shut up about horror stories about guys at uni

So, I'm moving out to uni about 2 hours away from my home city and I applied for accommodation not too long ago. I ended up picking mixed sex accommodation because I get on much better with men than I do with girls. My mum doesn't know I've applied for accommodation yet and every other day she keeps putting heavy emphasis on how I should make sure I stay with all girls just to make sure I won't get raped or anything. She was telling me at some uni boys were scumbags and how one girl (who coincidentally went to the same uni as I'm about to go to) told her that her male flatmates would put video recorders in the shower and all that. I don't really believe her at all but I kind of need to tell her sooner or later that I picked mixed accommodation. I've tried telling her that there's security around the accommodation and how there's locks on the bedroom doors which I can use at night but she doesn't listen.

I'm the one who'll be paying for the accommodation at uni so it's my choice at whether I go for single sex or mixed sex but how do I politely tell her to stop ranting and let me make my own choice? I don't get on with her very well but I want to be polite to avoid a bloodbath.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So, I'm moving out to uni about 2 hours away from my home city and I applied for accommodation not too long ago. I ended up picking mixed sex accommodation because I get on much better with men than I do with girls. My mum doesn't know I've applied for accommodation yet and every other day she keeps putting heavy emphasis on how I should make sure I stay with all girls just to make sure I won't get raped or anything. She was telling me at some uni boys were scumbags and how one girl (who coincidentally went to the same uni as I'm about to go to) told her that her male flatmates would put video recorders in the shower and all that. I don't really believe her at all but I kind of need to tell her sooner or later that I picked mixed accommodation. I've tried telling her that there's security around the accommodation and how there's locks on the bedroom doors which I can use at night but she doesn't listen.

I'm the one who'll be paying for the accommodation at uni so it's my choice at whether I go for single sex or mixed sex but how do I politely tell her to stop ranting and let me make my own choice? I don't get on with her very well but I want to be polite to avoid a bloodbath.

Tell her that you appreciate how much she cares about your safety but legally you are an adult and that you are sensible enough to know how to stay safe.
Reply 2
Original post by constantine2016
Tell her that you appreciate how much she cares about your safety but legally you are an adult and that you are sensible enough to know how to stay safe.

I've tried saying stuff like that before but then she rants about how she's my mother and as long as I'm under her roof I obey her etc. She's very interfering and dictatorial. And she'd find me saying all that patronising :/
Well if it really bothers you, go for the accommodation anyway and make sure you snatch all cameras that may be watching you in the bathroom :colone: (in the very unlikely chance that you're snooped, you'd report it to accommodations officer anyway)
Tell her that staying in single sex accommodation, wth all those scantily dressed young women running about, may encourage you to discover your true sexuality and reduce the chances of her ever having grandkids.
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
Well if it really bothers you, go for the accommodation anyway and make sure you snatch all cameras that may be watching you in the bathroom :colone: (in the very unlikely chance that you're snooped, you'd report it to accommodations officer anyway)

I'm actually more worried about her reaction about me picking mixed sex accommodation even though she's told me not to. I wouldn't be able to stand the cattiness in single sex accommodation and I'd be terrified if I was stuck with religious nutjobs or something.
Reply 6
Original post by Quantex
Tell her that staying in single sex accommodation, wth all those scantily dressed young women running about, may encourage you to discover your true sexuality and reduce the chances of her ever having grandkids.

Hahaha she's a religious Asian. I want to live!

And I've already told her I don't want kids :tongue:
Reply 7
Perhaps she is worried her own daughter may turn out as slutty as she was in her university days. :dontknow:

Ask her.

jk
(edited 7 years ago)
I've tried saying stuff like that before but then she rants about how she's my mother and as long as I'm under her roof I obey her etc. She's very interfering and dictatorial. And she'd find me saying all that patronising :/

Well she can't really stop you from leaving. You are legally an adult now. Just stay quiet until it is time to move out and just leave. If she tries to stop you tell her she can't tell you what to do.
Reply 9
Original post by stefano865
Perhaps she is worried her own daughter may turn out as slutty as she was in her university days.

Ask her.

jk

Main difference with me is I lost my virginity before marriage :tongue: My mum wasn't slutty because she stayed at home like a good girl.

Just tell her youve taken her concerns on board and youve talked to students at the uni about them and they say the concerns are unfounded. Any misdemeanour or harassment would be taken very seriously by the uni and they would most likely be thrown off he course. Does your mum need to see your app form? Did your mum actually go to uni?

Well, you won't be under her roof in this circumstance :P
Original post by constantine2016
Well she can't really stop you from leaving. You are legally an adult now. Just stay quiet until it is time to move out and just leave. If she tries to stop you tell her she can't tell you what to do.

The thing is she has my passport and my savings card with her and she isn't telling me where it is. I can't leave without those.

Original post by 999tigger
Just tell her youve taken her concerns on board and youve talked to students at the uni about them and they say the concerns are unfounded. Any misdemeanour or harassment would be taken very seriously by the uni and they would most likely be thrown off he course. Does your mum need to see your app form? Did your mum actually go to uni?

Yeah I could say I called up the accommodation office. Yeah she'd want to see it. She's interfering that way :/ She did but it was in India.. And I'm not trying to generalise but the guys there are a million times thirstier at uni.
Main difference with me is I lost my virginity before marriage :tongue: My mum wasn't slutty because she stayed at home like a good girl.

That's what you think. :tongue:

She left out the bit about servicing an entire rugby team...
Original post by stefano865
That's what you think. :tongue:

She left out the bit about servicing an entire rugby team...

I don't think they have a rugby team in Indian unis. Not in the 90s anyway.

Yeah I could say I called up the accommodation office. Yeah she'd want to see it. She's interfering that way :/ She did but it was in India.. And I'm not trying to generalise but the guys there are a million times thirstier at uni.

You could actually report your passport lost and apply for a new one, that would be hilarious. The point is if you speak to female students at the place you are going and they say no problem, then that is much better experience than your mums. It really wont be that bad and maybe go on an assertiveness course so you have no fear in telling a boy how to back off if you arent interested.
Original post by 999tigger
You could actually report your passport lost and apply for a new one, that would be hilarious. The point is if you speak to female students at the place you are going and they say no problem, then that is much better experience than your mums. It really wont be that bad and maybe go on an assertiveness course so you have no fear in telling a boy how to back off if you arent interested.

Isn't it like super expensive to apply for a new one? I'm actually thinking of doing that because I might move in with my aunt soon (who my mum hates with a passion). I have an applicant day at the uni soon anyway but it's like 3 weeks away ;/

I don't fear the idea of being harassed by guys at uni. I'd probably kill them myself before anyone else lol.
Maybe she's just looking out for you and has your best interest at heart?
Isn't it like super expensive to apply for a new one? I'm actually thinking of doing that because I might move in with my aunt soon (who my mum hates with a passion). I have an applicant day at the uni soon anyway but it's like 3 weeks away ;/

I don't fear the idea of being harassed by guys at uni. I'd probably kill them myself before anyone else lol.

You have to report yours lost or stolen and they cancel it. You then have to pay for a new one. Same price £70+
The thing is she has my passport and my savings card with her and she isn't telling me where it is. I can't leave without those.

:eek: wow. No offence but your mum sounds a bit nuts. She can't keep your important documents like that. You are an adult and she has no right to hold on to your passport anymore. If she won't tell you where it is, you can get your school or university involved. Your mum sounds like a helicopter parent and the best thing to do with them is to be more clear about your independence. If you carry on being passive with her, she will carry on being controlling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending