The Student Room Group

Period Chat, Advice, and Support Thread

Periods can be embarrassing and something you think you should keep private, but I think we should be able to talk about them openly and support each other - at the end of the day, we didn't choice to have them!

Whether you have irregular, heavy, painful or 'normal' periods - this thread is for you to rant, chat, ask for advice, and give your top tips.

So, got a question or piece of advice? For example:

What is best to ease period pain?

Which type of sanitary products do you use?

What type of medication can help heavy periods?

Post your experiences below! :smile:

Note: you can post anonymously in this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
Periods can be embarrassing and something you think you should keep private, but I think we should be able to talk about them openly and support each other - at the end of the day, we didn't choice to have them!

Whether you have irregular, heavy, painful or 'normal' periods - this thread is for you to rant, chat, ask for advice, and give your top tips.

So, got a question or piece of advice? For example:

What is best to ease period pain?

Which type of sanitary products do you use?

What type of medication can help heavy periods?

Post your experiences below! :smile:

Note: you can post anonymously in this thread.

As a starter for 10, what are things girls wish guys knew about periods (apart from the pain and inconvenience? :lol:)
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
As a starter for 10, what are things girls wish guys knew about periods (apart from the pain and inconvenience? :lol:)

Haha good question! I'm sure guys know a lot more than girls think, but this is what I think everyone should know:

Personally it would be to challenge the whole "moody during period", "it must be the time of the month" thing, I actually tend to get the most emotional the week before, although that's not always consistent.

Also, sometimes we want to sleep with a towel underneath as it's a bit of a peace of mind thing in case of a leak (pads and tampons aren't 100% great), so just making her feel more comfortable to do that or wear looser clothing etc. Luckily I've always felt comfortable to say.

Often things aren't regular, we get caught out a day or so early and there's a bit of a mess which is awful, so helping her feel like it's not a big deal is good. Also it can be late too, that's okay, and doesn't automatically mean she's pregnant. All sorts of things can affect it, such as stress, diet, weight etc.

Sanitary products are expensive, so if you see us stocking up weeks in advance because it's on sale for 2 packs for a fiver, that's probably why :lol:

What would you want girls to tell you? And do you have any questions? :smile:
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne

I wish guys knew and understood that we're a) not making the symptoms up and b) not exaggerating! Obviously different girls have different experiences, but I've sometimes had pain so bad before my period that I've nearly passed out, and I've had guys be like "oh stop exaggerating, PMS isn't even real" ????? :s-smilie:

I also wish it was less of a taboo thing, like you mention the word 'period' or 'tampon' around some guys and you can literally see them shrivel away and be uncomfortable, like WHYYYYYYY?

Period sex. That's all. I don't do it (because it hurts me too much), but I wish they would rread up more about it and be open to it.

I think it would be good if guys read up about periods and PMS and stuff, because the lack of knowledge leaves me gobsmacked. Of course guys don't experience periods, but chances are they have female friends/girlfriends/mums/sisters/cousins/daughters, so a 30 minute read wouldn't hurt! E.g. I had a 19 year old guy who didn't know where the blood came out of, I had another one who thought that if I sat near him on my period (even with a pad and ttampon in), I'd get blood on him...
Original post by danuuutka
I wish guys knew and understood that we're a) not making the symptoms up and b) not exaggerating! Obviously different girls have different experiences, but I've sometimes had pain so bad before my period that I've nearly passed out, and I've had guys be like "oh stop exaggerating, PMS isn't even real" ????? :s-smilie:

I also wish it was less of a taboo thing, like you mention the word 'period' or 'tampon' around some guys and you can literally see them shrivel away and be uncomfortable, like WHYYYYYYY?

Period sex. That's all. I don't do it (because it hurts me too much), but I wish they would rread up more about it and be open to it.

I think it would be good if guys read up about periods and PMS and stuff, because the lack of knowledge leaves me gobsmacked. Of course guys don't experience periods, but chances are they have female friends/girlfriends/mums/sisters/cousins/daughters, so a 30 minute read wouldn't hurt! E.g. I had a 19 year old guy who didn't know where the blood came out of, I had another one who thought that if I sat near him on my period (even with a pad and ttampon in), I'd get blood on him...

This is very true! Agreed with the points!

I wish I could just take a pad out of my bag and carry it in my hand to the toilet but I feel I have to hide it in my pocket as it's not socially accepted usually :sigh: I think we need to raise more awareness and openness :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is very true! Agreed with the points!

I wish I could just take a pad out of my bag and carry it in my hand to the toilet but I feel I have to hide it in my pocket as it's not socially accepted usually :sigh: I think we need to raise more awareness and openness :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally agree! Thankfully in my household I always was taught to never very open about periods and pads, but I have found myself to hide a pad under my top whenever going to the toilet in public, it's quite annoying really!

I did however enjoy throwing tampons at boys who annoyed me in school - their reactions were very much like those you see in movie stars of the sun hitting vampires hahaha
I decided to get rid of my periods early on cos they were irregular and painful, but i've had odd bleeds (antibiotics mess with my pill and I take a fair amount of them) and i'm no stranger to abdominal pain.

My suggestion for pain is believe it or not, peppermint. You can get tea or tablets and they work miracles for muscle pains- including cramping. I always thought it was one of those airy fairy natural remedies that doesn't actually work, but a nurse gave me tea after a laparoscopy and boy did it help. They gave me a little stock of it and throughout my recovery I was reaching for that over painkillers. I now take peppermint tablets for my IBS and still works better than painkillers.
Basically it works by relaxing the muscles causing you problems so gets to the root of the problem more that paracetamol etc do.
Anyway, you can get tablets from pharmacies and tea from pretty much any shop with a tea section. Don't take my word for it- try it yourself and if it doesn't work you can write me off as a crazy herb lady :P

I would also advise if you have super painful periods and haven't had a discussion with a dr about it you do. It can indicate issues down there so is worth looking into. Plus you can have a convo about the pill if it's something you might consider.

From my time with periods I learned to keep some form of product in my bag for when it inevitably snuck up on me- still do in case my pill buggers up too. For me this meant whatever unscented pad always did, but now period technology has developed it would be infinity (those ones with memory foam or whatever in a shiny pack) from my limited experience with them I'm sold. They actually fit- none of that digging into your leg bs you normally get with pads. And they are surprisingly thin while still absorbent.
Now that big bleeds aren't an issues for me any more I have a panty liner hanging around. Again, none of that itchy scented stuff for me. Liners are pretty much thin by definition so i'm not so picky with them.
I don't mess around with tampons, but hear they are good so if that's your thing go for it. I'll just share the message one of my friends spread to every girl she knew- toxic shock syndrome is a risk with tampons so read up on it and make sure you know how to void it and spot it. In short, don't leave them up there for hours and if you feel feverish with one up there see a dr asap.

If you are on your period and need to sneak to the loo try to pull out your pad/ tampon behind cover- like a table- and slip it up your sleeve or into a pocket like a ninja. I think you can get cute little bags that would be the right size for one so you could always get one of those and shove in some make-up or whatever as a cover story. Or y'know just remember it's a natural thing so if anybody wants to laugh at you for it they can go ____ a ____ (fill in the gaps with whatever works for you).

As for meds my knowledge is pretty much limited to my one pill- cerazette- which works great for stopping my periods all together. But, I did take Tranexnamic acid or something for a bleeding issue after surgery and doctors kept assuming it was for periods so I guess that's a thing. It did work wonders for stopping the absolute tsunami of blood coming from my throat, so I guess it would work for periods well too. And it did stop the spotting from antibiotics which had been going on for months, so that's a plus.

That about covers my period knowledge. Interesting thread. GIRL POWER! etc etc :biggrin:
Original post by danuuutka
I totally agree! Thankfully in my household I always was taught to never very open about periods and pads, but I have found myself to hide a pad under my top whenever going to the toilet in public, it's quite annoying really!

I did however enjoy throwing tampons at boys who annoyed me in school - their reactions were very much like those you see in movie stars of the sun hitting vampires hahaha

That's good! Mine was open about them too - I remember having to ask my dad to go to the shop and get some when we were on holiday and it wasn't awkward luckily :smile:

Haha oh my, not sure if I should laugh at that :tongue: but yeah, we need to educate all genders that it's very natural and normal!
Original post by Anonymous
x

Wow, amazing post - thank you! So you've found the pill to be okay for stopping periods then? :smile:

I've had a small adventure with pills and periods :tongue: I've always had pretty regular periods. I was initially on the microgynon pill for contraception, which I continued to be regular (in fact more regular and being able to predict it almost by the hour!) on so continued to take it after my relationship. I went to my doctor about feeling tired a lot, and they found I had low iron, so she put me on a pill to try and get rid of my periods... well, it did the opposite of that, I had periods for about 3 or 4 months, almost constantly! Now I'm on loestrin, which gives me slightly lighter periods, and they are regular again, phew! So 3 different pills in about 6 months :lol:
Anyone else have really irregular peroids? Mine didn't used to be like this but ever since going on and off the pill they seem to have been knocked out of sync. Like I can go three-four months without having a period and it really worries me. I've had tests done at the doctors and everything seems fine that end but it's just so frustrating :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VaticanCameos
Anyone else have really irregular peroids? Mine didn't used to be like this but ever since going on and off the pill they seem to have been knocked out of sync. Like I can go three-four months without having a period and it really worries me. I've had tests done at the doctors and everything seems fine that end but it's just so frustrating :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never had irregular periods, but I can imagine it's very frustrating and worrying. Can you go back on a pill where you have a week break and they'll become regular? :smile:
Wondered why I've been feeling so irritated this week (aside from a family bereavement, which won't be helping), and then I remembered I'm due next week, the week before my period usually makes me irritable/sad. Anyone else get this?
Reply 12
Wondered why I've been feeling so irritated this week (aside from a family bereavement, which won't be helping), and then I remembered I'm due next week, the week before my period usually makes me irritable/sad. Anyone else get this?

About the day before my period comes along, I am incredibly sad and horribly tired. But since my period is irregular af and I have my mental health stuff which means I feel like that a - lot, I never know that it's a warning sign for my period until my period comes.
People should ve made more aware of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) including drs!
Id always had troubles with very irregular heavy painful periods, and it wasnt unti about 23 that i was in that much agony one night but no bleeding that my partner actually took me to the out of hours drs and within a week id hàd blood tests, an ultrasound booked and about 5 drs appointments and was diagnosed with PCOS but they were shocked that no dr had ever looked into my painful irregular periods and just shoved me on a pill or told me it was normal!!

Also menstrual cuos need to be talked about more, or atleast other forms of period products. Up until the age of 24 i genuinly thought you could only get pads (disposable or reusable) and tampons! Didnt know about cups or period pants (other than my old stained knickers) and other items you can use!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering whether to make a thread about my period but I did a quick search and found this - thanks for creating it, @BurstingBubbles.

I feel as though I should be used to periods by now - I'm 27 and have been having them for 15 years - but if anything they seem to be getting more annoying. I get really bad PMS for about 2 weeks before my period (mainly anxiety, but recently I've been feeling really darkly depressed before my periods which is unlike me - I've been to the doctor and she's having me try a herbal remedy on top of an anti-depressant but it's not working as well as I'd like). I also get bad cramps and have ever since my first period.

I'm on the first day of my period today, which explains the depression/lack of motivation of the past few days, and I have pain and I just can't be bothered doing anything. I wonder how other people cope so well - especially when they have responsibilities like jobs and children. Recently I've started getting bad pains one night a month, too. They're different to cramp - more like trapped gas - but incredibly painful. I'm usually awake for about 2 hours with them when they occur.

Just after my period I feel like a new person, with good skin and good moods. I want to pull my uterus out.

Yeah it's definitely worse the day before period is due.

Does anyone take meds for blood clotting?
Hi, I've now not had my period for 106 days. They have never been regular and the longest I've gone without it was 200 and something days. I'm scared to go to the doctors because of what they might say or do but I'm worried that this might be a problem. I'm 17 and started when I was in year nine. What should I do?
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymousgirl17
Hi, I've now not had my period for 106 days. They have never been regular and the longest I've gone without it was 200 and something days. I'm scared to go to the doctors because of what they might say or do but I'm worried that this might be a problem. I'm 17 and started when I was in year nine. What should I do?

Go to the doctors. Really. It's all you can do. This needs to be looked into and only a medical professional can do that.
Original post by Airmed
Go to the doctors. Really. It's all you can do. This needs to be looked into and only a medical professional can do that.

Do you have any idea what they might do or say. I'm very scared and my doctor is male making me feel more uncomfortable
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymousgirl17
Do you have any idea what they might do or say. I'm very scared and my doctor is male making me feel more uncomfortable

Request a female doctor when you make an appointment. You should be able to get one. Just say female problems and they'll understand.

Probably a blood test and maybe a referral to the Gynaecology department at your local hospital. Please don't be afraid. This needs to be checked by your doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest