The Student Room Group

Would you ever marry your cousin ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Monster BG Crew
Mind explaining then? Cuz i have done GCSE Biology don't recall this coming up in the syllabus though.

Your cousin has similar genes. So they'll have the same recessive genes as you and a lot of the recessive genes will include genetic disorders and disabilities. Your offspring will therefore have a high chance of having these recessive diseases.
Original post by bobby147
Watching this interesting programme on iPlayer which caused me to raise the question.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p056gvhm/should-i-marry-my-cousin
So would you ever marry your cousin ?
Personally,I would not.

Attachment not found
Lol my cousin is defo's not a person you'd wanna marry.
Original post by asgard22
Your cousin has similar genes. So they'll have the same recessive genes as you and a lot of the recessive genes will include genetic disorders and disabilities. Your offspring will therefore have a high chance of having these recessive diseases.

I recall this - just the recessive gene part - but it's based around whether someone further back in the family ever had any serious problems. As far as i can say no one on her side of the family really has any major problems, but from my side the kids getting diabetes runs in the family. So i can't exactly see them being spaztics due to having diabetes.

But you know, worst case scenario they do become spaztics, i'll take em to the NHS cuz thats what i pay my tax for.
Original post by saharan_skies
That's ****ing gross, man but it happens when people want to keep one type of ethnicity 'pure' 🙄

Excuse my non pc use of the word but by pure you mean "purely retarded"! Lol
Original post by Fermion.

Haha why? Is he the kind of lad you'd want as friend with benefits?
Original post by TheBBQ
It doesn't work like that, lol. Did you GCSE biology at all?

But he's a bodybuilder? Aren't they meant to be healthy and stuff?
No way in hell
Reply 28

Why:redface: ?
No, because I'm not attracted to my cousin in any way. I wouldn't stop other people from doing so however. People will continue to scream "it's disgusting", but they have very little basis to do so.
Original post by Lord_Mediocre
Haha why? Is he the kind of lad you'd want as friend with benefits?

i think im gonna vomit
i think im gonna vomit

My work here is done!

Lol nah seriously what's wrong with him?

I'm curious, I would be miserable if I had to marry my cousins, I think they are all obnoxious morons(probably a trait that runs in the family) lol.
Side note: The chances of children born to cousins getting genetic disorders is not extremely high, hence why marriahe between first cousins is allowed in some parts. The biggest risk occurs when someone has a child with one of their parents or siblings or if their family has a long history of inbreeding.

----------

On topic: I do not even know my cousins, but I would not.
(edited 6 years ago)
My work here is done!

Lol nah seriously what's wrong with him?

I'm curious, I would be miserable if I had to marry my cousins, I think they are all obnoxious morons(probably a trait that runs in the family) lol.

i dont wanna say its too personal haha
Excuse my non pc use of the word but by pure you mean "purely retarded"! Lol

Forreal. I feel gross just thinking about it
i dont wanna say its too personal haha

Oh dear , yeah better not in that case.
Reply 36
nasty
Reply 37
Original post by Michiyo
Side note: The chances of children born to cousins getting genetic disorders is not actually extremely high, hence why it is allowed in some parts. The biggest risk occurs when someone has a child with one of their parents or siblings or if their family has a long history of inbreeding.

----------

On topic: I do not even know my cousins, but I would not.

We know but it would still be a higher risk for cousin marriages,regardless of whether there is history or not :yes:.
First post by you that I have not seen any emojis:frown:.
Original post by bobby147
We know but it would still be a higher risk for cousin marriages,regardless of whether there is history or not :yes:.
First post by you that I have not seen any emojis:frown:.

The risk would not that much higher (I think it is like 6% in comparison to a normal couple's 3%), but I get what you mean. :smile:

I make such posts sometimes :laugh:
Reply 39
Original post by Michiyo
The risk would not that much higher (I think it is like 6% in comparison to a normal couple's 3%), but I get what you mean. :smile:

I make such posts sometimes :laugh:

Yet 30% of all disabled children are due to inbreeding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending