The Student Room Group

People who are confident but don't think they're attractive..

How do you remain confident? I'm not a shy guy but considering how many stares/compliments etc that I seem to get, my self esteem and general confidence is always pretty damn low! So I was wondering what advice you had?

I'm hopeless at knowing how to react around girls I like.
I consider myself very confident and that usually means I am not waiting for people's compliments in order for me to think I am attractive. I take very good care of my appearance, I usually dress really nice and smell nice etc but I do that because it makes me feel really good. Sure it is nice to get compliments, who doesn't like a good compliment, but that does not mean I am relying on them. It is obvious from your statements that your self esteem issues are not necessary related to your looks. Is there something else in your life that is having a negative impact on you?

In terms how to act around girls you like. Do not come across as desperate and needy. Also, be confident, not arrogant. Be kind and nice, but not a pushover. People get really nervous around their crush because they're assuming they really need them and act as if their life depends on that person. That should not be the case. Don't just act, know that your life is much bigger than just one person who you happen to be infatuated with.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Optimist
I consider myself very confident and that usually means I am not waiting for people's compliments in order for me to think I am attractive. I take very good care of my appearance, I usually dress really nice and smell nice etc but I do that because it makes me feel really good. Sure it is nice to get compliments, who doesn't like a good compliment, but that does not mean I am relying on them. It is obvious from your statements that your self esteem issues are not necessary related to your looks. Is there something else in your life that is having a negative impact on you?

In terms how to act around girls you like. Do not come across as desperate and needy. Also, be confident, not arrogant. Be kind and nice, but not a pushover. People get really nervous around their crush because they're assuming they really need them and act as if their life depends on that person. That should not be the case. Don't just act, know that your life is much bigger than just one person who you happen to be infatuated with.

I think I have low esteem because I was bullied when I was 14-16 and although consciously I don't care anymore, subconsciously there are still a lot of scars!

It's weird because the girl of my dreams ran past me the other day, gave me the deepest look into my eyes and even smiled but I still don't feel good enough??
Original post by Anonymous
I think I have low esteem because I was bullied when I was 14-16 and although consciously I don't care anymore, subconsciously there are still a lot of scars!

It's weird because the girl of my dreams ran past me the other day, gave me the deepest look into my eyes and even smiled but I still don't feel good enough??

Bullying is horrible and can indeed effect people but it is great to see you've consciously gotten over it and those scars can take time to heal, but remember, the past is not physically grabbing on to you! Do not let anything make you feel inadequate or question yourself. Of course you are good enough! There are people right now interested in being with you. Why don't you make a move with your crush and enter a relationship?
looks aren't the only thing that can make you confident. what about money and power?
How do you remain confident? I'm not a shy guy but considering how many stares/compliments etc that I seem to get, my self esteem and general confidence is always pretty damn low! So I was wondering what advice you had?

I'm hopeless at knowing how to react around girls I like.

I'm the opposite, attractive but low confidence-meaning no luck with women.
Reply 6
Bullying is horrible and can indeed effect people but it is great to see you've consciously gotten over it and those scars can take time to heal, but remember, the past is not physically grabbing on to you! Do not let anything make you feel inadequate or question yourself. Of course you are good enough! There are people right now interested in being with you. Why don't you make a move with your crush and enter a relationship?

I plan to.. it's a weird scenario. She goes to my Uni and I have seen her around campus but I've never spoken to her. I'm back from the holidays and it just happens to be that she lives very near me. When I go back in September I'm going to join the sport society where I think she takes part and get to know her then
Reply 7
Let's face it, everyone has something they are insecure about and I think that's one of the biggest things that dents people's confidence.

I think the important thing here is to make yourself the best person you possibly can and not let the way you look bring you down. Go to the gym, buy new clothes, get a new haircut or just anything that will make you feel better about yourself.
You gain your confidence from other aspects apart from your looks.
I plan to.. it's a weird scenario. She goes to my Uni and I have seen her around campus but I've never spoken to her. I'm back from the holidays and it just happens to be that she lives very near me. When I go back in September I'm going to join the sport society where I think she takes part and get to know her then

Go for it! And start getting used to not giving much value and attention to those negative thought that pop into your head every now and then telling you none-sense like you're not good enough. Start to accept only positive ideas. For example, you're a handsome individual that put effort into your looks, that's a positive thing!
Original post by loveleest
You gain your confidence from other aspects apart from your looks.

I'm getting really into golf, I hit the shot of my life today and that has given me a big boost so I definitely agree with you
Go for it! And start getting used to not giving much value and attention to those negative thought that pop into your head every now and then telling you none-sense like you're not good enough. Start to accept only positive ideas. For example, you're a handsome individual that put effort into your looks, that's a positive thing!

Thanks for the great advice and support!
Stop giving a **** about what other people think.

End of thread
Reply 13
Confidence is more analogous to a skill than an aspect of your personality. It's developed through stepping outside of your comfort zone regularly, and either succeeding or at least feeling that things didn't go too badly. Anyone can do that in almost any area regardless of looks. Being able to walk into a room confidently is like being able to sit at a piano and play a piece of music - after so much experience you eventually get it down.

In your case regarding girls, most likely you don't have a lot of success with women right now, despite that they seem to like you. By pushing yourself to meet more, asking them out and generally having good interactions, your confidence will increase. Once talking to women and having good interactions with them ceases being a big deal to you, then you'll naturally find yourself confident around them. But for most people that's probably quite a lot of work, so depending on what your goals are in my opinion it's okay to settle for just being a little excited/nervous.
(edited 6 years ago)
I understand what you mean (I'm a female though). I'm pretty shy deep down, supposedly very attractive but I was bullied throughout high school. It does stay with you (I started to stutter and have panic attacks in social situations) but you know, life is way, way too short to care what people think. Make it a habit to keep your eyes forward, make eye contact with people, don't look to the ground and smile more. Practice when you're alone (it'll feel weird but it works). Maybe find some actor or fictional tv/movie character that you think is confident and imitate them. I promise that eventually it'll become a habit.
I think sport is a good way to increase your confidence especially combat sports. I wasn't the most confident until I took up severall. Once I competed in the ring then all other situations where I wouldn't feel confident dont matter as it gave me perspective. It not just a set of techniques but a mindset that you can try anything. When you get good it let's you feel you can achieve anything you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending