The Student Room Group

Why won't SF pay my full increased tuition fees?

I am going to become a third year student this year, and my university decided to increase tuition fees. For some reason Student finance are not loaning us the full amount, and now my uni are asking us to pay the rest of the money direct to them.

As you can imagine I am extremely upset about this.

I just want to know the reason Student Finance are not covering the full cost of my tuition fees, as they have risen, and the university shouldn't be penalising us as students by taking the money (which I do not have) directly from our pockets.

Can anyone help me to understand this?

Thanks
Jenny
Hi Jenny

How much are they now charging you? is it 9250?
Original post by JennySings
I am going to become a third year student this year, and my university decided to increase tuition fees. For some reason Student finance are not loaning us the full amount, and now my uni are asking us to pay the rest of the money direct to them.

I just want to know the reason Student Finance are not covering the full cost of my tuition fees, as they have risen, and the university shouldn't be penalising us as students by taking the money (which I do not have) directly from our pockets.

Thanks
Jenny

You don't happen to go to a private university do you?

Thanks
Jenny

Hi JennySings,

As long as you have requested the maximum Tuition Fee loan on your application, Student Finance will pay the amount of fee your university have capped on our database.
If you haven't requested the maximum you can make changes to your application online.
If you have requested the maximum, then the university may have to update the database to revise the tuition fee amount.
Call us on 0300 200 0607

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi JennySings,

As long as you have requested the maximum Tuition Fee loan on your application, Student Finance will pay the amount of fee your university have capped on our database.
If you haven't requested the maximum you can make changes to your application online.
If you have requested the maximum, then the university may have to update the database to revise the tuition fee amount.
Call us on 0300 200 0607

Thanks

When I initially applied I requested the maximum for the tuition fee loan, and once my application was processed the amount I could apply for/receive by Student Finance was deducted.
I believe the university told us that they were increasing and so we would only be able to apply for a certain amount.

I have tried ringing but could not get through to speak to anyone. I will try again now thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
You don't happen to go to a private university do you?

Yes, thank you for your reply as I think this is why, but you can see my dismay as the last 2 years I have been there my tuition fees were covered by student finance.

So now I do understand why I cannot receive the full loan from SF themselves, pretty disappointed that my uni have increased my fees during my time there as it has put a lot of my fellow course members in an uncomfortable situation seeing as we have to pay this fee direct during the summer - before our maintenance grants have arrived too.

This is an issue I will bring up to my uni.

Thank you for your help everyone!! Much appreciated.
Yes, thank you for your reply as I think this is why, but you can see my dismay as the last 2 years I have been there my tuition fees were covered by student finance.

So now I do understand why I cannot receive the full loan from SF themselves, pretty disappointed that my uni have increased my fees during my time there as it has put a lot of my fellow course members in an uncomfortable situation seeing as we have to pay this fee direct during the summer - before our maintenance grants have arrived too.

This is an issue I will bring up to my uni.

Thank you for your help everyone!! Much appreciated.

Yes there's a limit on what loan they'd give you, definitely take it up with your uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending