The Student Room Group

Ex-believers people, can you share how you became atheist?

What was it that made you lose your belief? Maybe you were brought up with religion and as you became older you started to question it? Was it the arguments of people like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens that convinced you there was no god? Was it seeing the suffering in the world and not understanding how there could be a (good) god that allows things like that to happen? Was it advancements in sciece that has made god's existence seem insupportable/unneccesary? Was it finding "holes" in the logic and morality in the Bible or other religous text? Please share.

Scroll to see replies

It was simply noticing the massive flaws and contradictions in religious scripture and realising that concepts like heaven, hell and life being a test make absolutely no sense. The god of Abrahamic religions is also too anthropomorphic for it not to have been invented by people.
I felt oppressed and I felt it was oppressive to other groups too so I f*cked off. Simple as that, really.
Reply 3
I am a very spiritual person but having been brought up in a multi-faith family I have realised that a lot of it is just not real. I think countries where people live in severe poverty etc, religion provides an outlet and a focus for their hopes and dreams which is good for them to have when they have so little else, but growing up in a developed country, it is clear that religion doesn't contribute much at all to the needs and developments of my life and society in general [imo].
Reply 4
I went to a Jewish primary school where I was taught bible stories as much as regular history so the bible was just like history to me. But even in primary school I would question things like "Why aren't there miracles anymore?" and received replies like "Miracles still happen every day - the sun comes out..." which I knew was a stupid answer. So I had doubts at that age but when your whole education is telling you that bible stories are facts and God is real, it's very hard to dispute it, especially when you're that young.

I also went to a Jewish secondary school but it was much less religious and I was surrounded by people who also questioned their religion. I had loads of questions like "If I was born somewhere else would I be Jewish?" and "There are thousands of religions all around the world, why is Judaism the correct one?". I also started to realise that bible stories are just like fairy stories and they obviously didn't actually happen. I think I became an atheist around age 12 but it wasn't until a few years later that I realised what atheism actually was.

When I speak to religious Jews now it's very strange because it's like they are still stuck in Primary school believing that fairy stories are real. Religion is an extremely powerful thing and it fascinates me more than any other topic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thread moved to "Faith and Spirituality"
Original post by Anonymous
What was it that made you lose your belief?

I started to study Islam, but with my eyes open this time
Reply 7
What was it that made you lose your belief? Maybe you were brought up with religion and as you became older you started to question it? Was it the arguments of people like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens that convinced you there was no god? Was it seeing the suffering in the world and not understanding how there could be a (good) god that allows things like that to happen? Was it advancements in sciece that has made god's existence seem insupportable/unneccesary? Was it finding "holes" in the logic and morality in the Bible or other religous text? Please share.

I was brought up christian, going to church etc. but not seriously, like I don't think either of my parents really believed it. my mum definitely didn't. I think my dad kind of did but just thought it was a good thing to do. I stopped believing because of a mix of my own reasoning and bereavement. how could this god exist when awful things happen that seem incongruous with what you would expect from the God of the new testament and Jesus. If an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient god existed, then it certainly wasn't the one that is spoken about in the bible.
this was as a 11-13 year old. Then the more I learnt about science and evolution the more that made sense over religion. Then travelling and seeing how religion has been made to benefit itself and keep people in line, e.g. the catholic church. you can see exactly the thought behind it being created and its rules and teachings. same with most religions. I don't believe there is definitely nothing. I guess I'm an agnostic atheist. If there is something, then no human knows what it is.

Stopping believing wasn't really a big deal. I don't need a god in my life.
(edited 6 years ago)
As soon as u develop rational thoughts u will become an athiest
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It was simply noticing the massive flaws and contradictions in religious scripture and realising that concepts like heaven, hell and life being a test make absolutely no sense. The god of Abrahamic religions is also too anthropomorphic for it not to have been invented by people.

What age were you if you don't mind me asking when you started noticing these flaws?
As Christopher Hitchens said: you have to believe that the world existed for millions of years, vasts amounts of death and destruction on a unfathomable scale. Primitive humans usually dying before they reach 3 years old, suffering of many diseases and having a terrible life expectancy, but God observes this suffering for thousands of years then very recently decided the world can't go on like this and decides the best way to save mankind was human sacrifice of his own son in the most illiterate part of the middle east.

How can you believe any of this? It's just not logical to believe all this randomness across hundreds of million years is a part of God's plan.

But to me the most horrid thing about the major religions is the fact that they say God is omniscient, then even before your born he knows whether your going to hell or heaven after you die, so you have no control over what happens in the afterlife.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CGSW
I am a very spiritual person but having been brought up in a multi-faith family I have realised that a lot of it is just not real. I think countries where people live in severe poverty etc, religion provides an outlet and a focus for their hopes and dreams which is good for them to have when they have so little else, but growing up in a developed country, it is clear that religion doesn't contribute much at all to the needs and developments of my life and society in general [imo].

What do you mean by being a spiritual person? Do you still believe in god, but just not a religious one?
Reply 12
Original post by applesforme
What do you mean by being a spiritual person? Do you still believe in god, but just not a religious one?

I believe the universe has energies but I don't believe that they can be construed through a book and allow us to dictate to others.
Dunno if I quite qualify for this one, but during my childhood I was never much of a believer. I had my moments of wonderment - once as a child I spent half an hour looking at a stained glass window of Jesus, but I was sensible enough not to take the bible and everything that was said in church word for word. As I grew up and began to learn more about religion, I was amazed by how people would use bits of the bible to justify their actions. Like quoting Leviticus to justify homophobia - it just seemed like poor research to me, especially given the historical context of Leviticus and its purpose - which if followed today would deny the existence of Jesus. And things like original sin - apologising for being myself and existing was also something I never gelled with. Yet I struggled with renouncing the beliefs I'd grown up with as a child. Eventually I talked to my mother about wanting to give up Christianity, but still having the feeling that there was something out there. She gave me a hug and told me she'd brought up my siblings and I as Roman Catholic so we'd have rituals to fall back on in times of need, and it didn't matter if we believed or not. I've always preferred the approach of argument of say, Peter Kreeft rather than Dawkins, as I dislike the general tone of atheism, and the rabid nature of people who attack people for their beliefs, although I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone, only the edgy revisionist 13 year olds I spent a lot of time with in school (poking fun at people is never cool, for whatever reason you give, kids) But now... I suppose I consider myself spiritual and not religious. I like some aspects of Christianity, and other religions. I try and live my life with as much love as I can. I trust my own moral code a lot more than I trust either atheists or Christians, I guess. I'm guessing from the tone of OP that this isn't what they want to hear, and I'm likely to be denounced as a useless believer in this particular thread, but I do believe that science and faith can co exist - they explain pretty different aspects of creation if you actually bother to look, but yeah. Organised religion and all the toxic justifications that come with it certainly isn't for me.
I'm a deist currently, but I was an atheist for a few years, starting from when I was 10 or so. I just started realising how far-fetched religious stories sounded, and since there didn't seem to be any evidence for any of it, I wrote religion off as a collection of sometimes nice-sounding myths. I was a communist for a couple of years, and during that time I was obviously a physicalist and viewed religion as just another slowly dying feature of the superstructure. I still think Feuerbach hit the nail on the head when he described the theist's vision of God as a projection of human traits, desires and views.
Original post by applesforme
What age were you if you don't mind me asking when you started noticing these flaws?

I had always known the flaws were there in the back of my mind, but I didn't properly confront them until I was like 15 or 16.
Original post by fishstar
Dunno if I quite qualify for this one, but during my childhood I was never much of a believer. I had my moments of wonderment - once as a child I spent half an hour looking at a stained glass window of Jesus, but I was sensible enough not to take the bible and everything that was said in church word for word. As I grew up and began to learn more about religion, I was amazed by how people would use bits of the bible to justify their actions. Like quoting Leviticus to justify homophobia - it just seemed like poor research to me, especially given the historical context of Leviticus and its purpose - which if followed today would deny the existence of Jesus. And things like original sin - apologising for being myself and existing was also something I never gelled with. Yet I struggled with renouncing the beliefs I'd grown up with as a child. Eventually I talked to my mother about wanting to give up Christianity, but still having the feeling that there was something out there. She gave me a hug and told me she'd brought up my siblings and I as Roman Catholic so we'd have rituals to fall back on in times of need, and it didn't matter if we believed or not. I've always preferred the approach of argument of say, Peter Kreeft rather than Dawkins, as I dislike the general tone of atheism, and the rabid nature of people who attack people for their beliefs, although I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone, only the edgy revisionist 13 year olds I spent a lot of time with in school (poking fun at people is never cool, for whatever reason you give, kids) But now... I suppose I consider myself spiritual and not religious. I like some aspects of Christianity, and other religions. I try and live my life with as much love as I can. I trust my own moral code a lot more than I trust either atheists or Christians, I guess. I'm guessing from the tone of OP that this isn't what they want to hear, and I'm likely to be denounced as a useless believer in this particular thread, but I do believe that science and faith can co exist - they explain pretty different aspects of creation if you actually bother to look, but yeah. Organised religion and all the toxic justifications that come with it certainly isn't for me.

I am not going to denounce anyone for writing on this thread! Well, not unless they are totaly deranged...I am glad people replied to this. Last thread I posted I was left high and dry with 0 replies...but I asked for it with that one...I am going to be better behaved with this one. But honestly, I found what you wrote really interesting and thoughtful (seriously, not just trying to be nice).

I will look up Peter Kreeft - from a quick google search, it says he was influenced by G.K.Chesterton...and from what I know of Chesterton he was a very interesting Christian theologian. I think Dawkins, Hitchens and also Stephen Fry are good for the 13-14 yr old age group who are a bit unsure, can't quite articulate themselves fully and may even feel a bit scared about speaking against "god". I remember reading an article where the writer was showing how the god of the bible was childish, petulant, psycopathic, narcissistic -using words like those, and I was really impressed at their logic and at the guts they had to say to speak against it so scathingly (sorry, but that's what I think it deserves). So I think Dawkins and the others serve a purpose to tip people over into atheism, but they don't offer much more than that.

And I wouldn't say it's attacking people just for their beliefs (although it may look like that), but for the dangerous effect those beliefs have on society and on individuals.

I became atheist because my religion did not accept my sexuality. My religion made me feel I was disgusting, abominable, and that there was something wrong with me. First, I tried to choose my religion over my sexuality but that made me very miserable.

Then I tried to reconcile my religion with my sexuality. Believing in things like God loves all of us. This stopped seeming logical to me when I looked at the news and saw how LGBT people are persecuted in the name of God. I thought if God loves all of us why didn't he write in his book that LGBT people should be accepted.

He is meant to be omniscient so he would have foreseen the persecution LGBT people, women, and people around the world face. This would mean he either doesn't care, which makes him cruel and vindictive, or he doesn't exist. Both these answers were enough for me to leave beliefs in God behind.
Reply 18
Literally I was about 10/11 and about to take a shower and I thought to myself "what if God dosen't exist?" And that made more sense to me than a God actually existing. That was literally it.
I still went to church 4 times a week with my family and just went along with everything until I eventually distanced myself from the church. My family still dosen't know but I don't consider myself an atheist just very uncertain. I don't think I'll ever tell them. I'm not sure how I'm going to raise my kids, probably teach them a bit about my family's faith and leave it to them to decide what they want to believe.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

What about the god of the Dharmic religions? :beard:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending