The Student Room Group

Are these good University choices to study English?

Hi,

I essentially want reaffirmation or advice about my current UCAS choices to study English. I'm predicted A*A*A* but I'm worried I'm more likely to get A*A*A/A*A*B (I have a whole other post about that:dontknow:). I'm not really sure, around those grades.

Sooooo....

Aspirational: Oxford (AAA)

Safe(r): Nottingham (AAA-AAB) - this is my top choice
St. Andrews (AAA)
Birmingham (AAB)

If exams don't go too well: Keele (ABC/BBB)

Do these sound like a decent spread of grade requirements? Does anyone have any experience of studying English at these Universities?
Original post by lowza
Hi,

I essentially want reaffirmation or advice about my current UCAS choices to study English. I'm predicted A*A*A* but I'm worried I'm more likely to get A*A*A/A*A*B (I have a whole other post about that:dontknow:). I'm not really sure, around those grades.

Sooooo....

St. Andrews (AAA)
Birmingham (AAB)

Do these sound like a decent spread of grade requirements? Does anyone have any experience of studying English at these Universities?

Would you be genuinely happy to get into Keele? If the answer is yes, then fine. If you would end up retaking in the hope of going somewhere else then don't put it down.

The same goes for each of your five choices, though Keele stands out in the above list.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Would you be genuinely happy to get into Keele? If the answer is yes, then fine. If you would end up retaking in the hope of going somewhere else then don't put it down.

The same goes for each of your five choices, though Keele stands out in the above list.

That's actually something I have been thinking about - I probably wouldn't settle for Keele. However, I've been really struggling to find any unis I like with grades ABB or lower so I put Keele down because its pretty and its close to where I live.

Hopefully I'll get into one of the other ones!
Original post by lowza
That's actually something I have been thinking about - I probably wouldn't settle for Keele. However, I've been really struggling to find any unis I like with grades ABB or lower so I put Keele down because its pretty and its close to where I live.

It would therefore be a complete and utter logic fail to include Keele. If nothing else, apply with just four choices initially and add your fifth after you have some initital responses.
Reply 4
It would therefore be a complete and utter logic fail to include Keele. If nothing else, apply with just four choices initially and add your fifth after you have some initital responses.

I get what you're saying. If I find somewhere else, then I'll swap it in but, at the moment, Keele is the only uni I've found with lower grade requirements that I like. It was either Keele or Loughborough & Loughborough have upped their grade requirements so its not really a back up choice anymore.
Reply 5
Original post by lowza
Hi,

Sooooo....

St. Andrews (AAA)
Birmingham (AAB)

To be honest, I think Birmingham is perfect as a safe choice for a student with amazing predicted grades like you. Therefore if you don't particularly like Keele or want to go there then you don't need to put it down, in my opinion. However, if it will make you feel more secure in the exams then it's completely up to you.

Even if you're expecting A*A*A or A*A*B as long as you get an A in English I would expect all of your safe options to accept you if they have offered you a place.

Also, as an A-Level student who wishes to study English as well, have you considered Durham?

Anyway, good luck! I hope you're proud of those amazing results :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by alter-
To be honest, I think Birmingham is perfect as a safe choice for a student with amazing predicted grades like you. Therefore if you don't particularly like Keele or want to go there then you don't need to put it down, in my opinion. However, if it will make you feel more secure in the exams then it's completely up to you.

Even if you're expecting A*A*A or A*A*B as long as you get an A in English I would expect all of your safe options to accept you if they have offered you a place.

Also, as an A-Level student who wishes to study English as well, have you considered Durham?

Anyway, good luck! I hope you're proud of those amazing results :smile:

Thank you so much for your response!

That's a fair point about Birmingham actually. I'm probably over worried, I'm sure I will perform well and hopefully get the A*A*A*/A but there's a paranoid part of me that feels like I'm actually going to fail all of them for some unexplained reason.

I do like having the security of Keele but if I find somewhere else I like before the deadline, I might swap it out.

I did consider Durham! It looks like an incredible Uni but just in the wrong location for me. I'm trying to stay close to home in the midlands, St Andrews is only an exception because it's so darn pretty!

Thank you so much to you too, good luck! X
Original post by lowza

Warwick?

Birmingham might well offer you 'unconditional if firmed'. Think carefully about your decision if they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by lowza
Thank you so much for your response!

That's a fair point about Birmingham actually. I'm probably over worried, I'm sure I will perform well and hopefully get the A*A*A*/A but there's a paranoid part of me that feels like I'm actually going to fail all of them for some unexplained reason.

I do like having the security of Keele but if I find somewhere else I like before the deadline, I might swap it out.

I did consider Durham! It looks like an incredible Uni but just in the wrong location for me. I'm trying to stay close to home in the midlands, St Andrews is only an exception because it's so darn pretty!

Thank you so much to you too, good luck! X

I know exactly how you feel. My grades have been fine for most mocks I've done but English is so subjective that I'm constantly worried it'll just take one exam for me to fail. However, this isn't true. Once you have the exam technique polished you can do great and you sound like your methods have worked thus far, they won't fail you in the future either :smile:

Honestly, a more 'secure' university I really liked was Reading, who made the effort to speak to me individually about the course and gave me a lot of useful advice. And their grade requirements are ABB-BBB. I'd recommend there if it's not too far.

St. Andrew's is gorgeous! Unfortunately I don't think I got enough A* GCSEs to apply there, but I hope your application goes well (I'm sure it will)
Reply 9
Warwick?

Birmingham might well offer you 'unconditional if firmed'. Think carefully about your decision if they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Warwick is AAB so not tooo safe. I'll think about it though - I think I'm being overly worried about failing all of my exams, it won't happen but there's part of me that is convinced it will.

Yeah I think Birmingham will - it depends on how confident I am about reaching the other officers before I choose.

I am academic & strong at my subjects, it's just my own self confidence that makes me feel like I won't do well - that's why I feel safe with Keele there.
Original post by lowza
I think Warwick is AAB so not tooo safe. I'll think about it though - I think I'm being overly worried about failing all of my exams, it won't happen but there's part of me that is convinced it will.

Yeah I think Birmingham will - it depends on how confident I am about reaching the other officers before I choose.

I am academic & strong at my subjects, it's just my own self confidence that makes me feel like I won't do well - that's why I feel safe with Keele there.

That's one reason I suggested delaying before adding your fifth choice. You can wait until mid January, by which time you will have another term of work under your belt. Then you can decide whether you need a very wide margin for error or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by alter-
I know exactly how you feel. My grades have been fine for most mocks I've done but English is so subjective that I'm constantly worried it'll just take one exam for me to fail. However, this isn't true. Once you have the exam technique polished you can do great and you sound like your methods have worked thus far, they won't fail you in the future either :smile:

Honestly, a more 'secure' university I really liked was Reading, who made the effort to speak to me individually about the course and gave me a lot of useful advice. And their grade requirements are ABB-BBB. I'd recommend there if it's not too far.

St. Andrew's is gorgeous! Unfortunately I don't think I got enough A* GCSEs to apply there, but I hope your application goes well (I'm sure it will)

YES!! The subjectiveness of English scares me - and I take History & Drama too which are also subjective and have a history of being wrongly marked. It genuinely terrifies me.

I hadn't thought of Reading, I'll have a read. Those are just the grade requirements I'm looking for for a super safe choice.

Ooh, I hadn't even thought about GCSE requirements for St.Andrews? I should be okay, I got 8 A*s, hopefully that's decent for them! I'm not too bothered about getting in there, my heart really is set in Notts, but the idea of living there excites me & it is such a good Uni for the course.

I hope everything goes well for you too!! Best of luck X
Reply 12
Original post by lowza
YES!! The subjectiveness of English scares me - and I take History & Drama too which are also subjective and have a history of being wrongly marked. It genuinely terrifies me.

I hadn't thought of Reading, I'll have a read. Those are just the grade requirements I'm looking for for a super safe choice.

Ooh, I hadn't even thought about GCSE requirements for St.Andrews? I should be okay, I got 8 A*s, hopefully that's decent for them! I'm not too bothered about getting in there, my heart really is set in Notts, but the idea of living there excites me & it is such a good Uni for the course.

I hope everything goes well for you too!! Best of luck X

Wow I did History and RE but I took Drama for a while at A Level too. Unfortunately our GCSE Drama marks were really harsh so it scared me from taking it as I wanted to get good grades (and although I love Drama I definitely wasn't the best at it.) I completely understand though I feel like you can never be fully prepared for English and History is definitely very subjective too. Fingers crossed though.

8 A*s will be completely fine, you're safe. Honestly, the whole thing might not be true. I just read from a few sources that St Andrews requires a minimum of 6 or something and their website says they may look at GCSEs. I wouldn't worry about it too much though they're bound to accept you with those grades. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending