The Student Room Group

Bad relationship with my mom

I didnt mean to rant, but couldnt stop once i started.
Lately my mom and I have had a pretty tumultuous relationship, and I know some of it is my fault. But this is the story: my dog had a litter of 5 puppies. She didn't get rid of any of them, then she didn't get them fixed, so three more inbred puppies have popped up. She took another off the street. And another inbred was just born. I have been watching them and cleaning up after them ever since they were born. I don't visit friends, I don't leave the house, and most devastatingly, I don't go to school. My mom said the dogs need me and that it would be selfish for me to go to college (I graduated from highschool in june). Just yesterday she offered to babysit her friends pup, but I've been the one watching him. She doesn't clean up after them the way I do. If they make a mess, she'll just call me. We had what I thought was a heart to heart talk about all I do around the house (laundry, dishes, and the daily mopping of the floor and washing of the sheets because of the dogs) and I thought things would change. But the next morning she slept in until noon, didn't get up to help me with the puppy she offered to babysit, and called me in every few hours to clean up after the dogs that were in her room. My brother is younger than me, but he drives so my mom let's him drive to the gym or get his haircut. I'm jealous that he even gets to go to school. I get angry at her and end up giving her attitude and being rude when that's not my intention, I'm just frustrated with my work load. Then she'll break down and cry and tell me im the reason she wants to kill herself. She tells me to move out just to patronize me, because she knows I can't drive and am not independent in any way. But at the same time she always wants me by her side and yells at me if I sleep in my room or take a shower to long. My entire life, meaning every hour of everyday, revolves around my mom and her dogs (whom I do love). I don't really have a life, I just clean and cater to my mom. I feel like a slave and sometimes I just want to pack my bags and run away. But I know I would feel guilty for leaving her. I'm also frustrated because I didn't get to go to college. I was accepted into at least 12, but because of my mom's 2015 tax transcript, I did t qualify for any financial aid (not even community). I don't blame her for that, but it just makes me wonder if she would still be this resentful I me even if I did leave, because she would have to take care of the dogs herself. I didn't mean to rant! Can Anyone relate or have advise?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I didnt mean to rant, but couldnt stop once i started.
Lately my mom and I have had a pretty tumultuous relationship, and I know some of it is my fault. But this is the story: my dog had a litter of 5 puppies. She didn't get rid of any of them, then she didn't get them fixed, so three more inbred puppies have popped up. She took another off the street. And another inbred was just born. I have been watching them and cleaning up after them ever since they were born. I don't visit friends, I don't leave the house, and most devastatingly, I don't go to school. My mom said the dogs need me and that it would be selfish for me to go to college (I graduated from highschool in june). Just yesterday she offered to babysit her friends pup, but I've been the one watching him. She doesn't clean up after them the way I do. If they make a mess, she'll just call me. We had what I thought was a heart to heart talk about all I do around the house (laundry, dishes, and the daily mopping of the floor and washing of the sheets because of the dogs) and I thought things would change. But the next morning she slept in until noon, didn't get up to help me with the puppy she offered to babysit, and called me in every few hours to clean up after the dogs that were in her room. My brother is younger than me, but he drives so my mom let's him drive to the gym or get his haircut. I'm jealous that he even gets to go to school. I get angry at her and end up giving her attitude and being rude when that's not my intention, I'm just frustrated with my work load. Then she'll break down and cry and tell me im the reason she wants to kill herself. She tells me to move out just to patronize me, because she knows I can't drive and am not independent in any way. But at the same time she always wants me by her side and yells at me if I sleep in my room or take a shower to long. My entire life, meaning every hour of everyday, revolves around my mom and her dogs (whom I do love). I don't really have a life, I just clean and cater to my mom. I feel like a slave and sometimes I just want to pack my bags and run away. But I know I would feel guilty for leaving her. I'm also frustrated because I didn't get to go to college. I was accepted into at least 12, but because of my mom's 2015 tax transcript, I did t qualify for any financial aid (not even community). I don't blame her for that, but it just makes me wonder if she would still be this resentful I me even if I did leave, because she would have to take care of the dogs herself. I didn't mean to rant! Can Anyone relate or have advise?

It doesn't sound to me like you are being treated at all fairly.
I would suggest you get some support with this because it's quite a complicated situation and I don't think advice from the internet is really going to be able to cut it.

Childline have some advice on their site and call and chat services you could use. https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/home-families/family-relationships/family-relationships/

You could also talk to samaritans by phone or email.

I will give a bit of input myself, but I really suggest you talk to childline. They're geared up to deal with things like this and know what all the options are.

You need to find a way for you to live your life and develop. You need to go to college or do something like an apprenticeship or volunteering to prepare you for adult life. It's also mandatory for people under 18 in England to go to college or do something like an apprenticeship. If your mother is preventing you from doing that then theoretically she could face action like fines or parenting orders.
You might like to point out to your mother that you need to go to college for this reason.

It's also just terribly unfair on you to expect you to be doing all this. Do you have any idea what might happen if you just refused to do it?
Please paragraph or make TL;DR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending