The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Paulwhy
What kind of university course are you aiming for?
Did you understand what I said about uni being easier in some ways? i.e. that the amount of contact time required is less.

I've applied for policing and criminal investigation full time. I've got all my offers no so I'm going to talk to my tutor as to what to do next.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. There isn't as much time spent in lectures and seminars as there are at 6th form now. I work better in small classes where I have time to think and process what the teacher is saying. Where I am now there is between three and five people in all my classes which is better for me.

I've spent two hours cleaning this morning and my brain has gone to mush so I'll write a longer reply later :smile:
Reply 21
Hey, it seems many people have posted support/similar stories already, but it couldnt hurt to post mine :smile:

Ive basically suffered with M.E for a number of years now, and finally figured i was strong enought to start univerisity last september. Im 19, so it took me an extra year to get there! There was no way that previously i would have been able to manage it, but for some reason - through a period of wellness and gradually starting to do more and more (with walking and graded excersise helping lots!), i finally felt ready(ish!). I won't lie, its no easy task - even with the stage i was at, ive found ive gotten worse since uni, its no surprise when you take into account the social aspects, stress of moving away from home, new surroundings, lectures & work etc! Ive also found one of my old symptoms of insomnia - believe me i sympathise :wink: - has returned to the max. However saying that, i believe that i have got through due to a few things - mostly i chose a very small uni, took into account how far it is from home, and into town etc. Im on campus so don't have to walk far to lectures, and ive also learned to pace myself and do what i need to make sure i stay well. ^You are right in saying that you spend less time in lectures and seminars, but remember that a lot of it is also self-study, so it still means you need to be able to manage a lot of work.

I just think all of its a personal gut-reaction. If you are still at the stage in your M.E where you have severe symptoms and can't manage being at home or 6th form all that well, which it sounds like you are, i dont think its a good idea just yet. Maybe i was lucky in that my illness started earlier, therefore by the time it came to uni i was certainly used to managing it and getting myself to a stage where i was quite well. Anyways, I hope you start to see improvement soon :-) This illness can be such a battle, so don't forget that your mum only wants the best for you and most often, mums are the ones who feel it the most if they are the closest people to you - it can be so frustrating for all. Let us know how you go, as time goes on. Always remember that you are young and taking a year out is not uncommon, think how many people take years off for travelling before even comtemplating uni! It may surprise you that the majority of my flatmates here are also 19, and even turn 20 before meee, lol.

=D xxx
Bet you lot loved the Ricky Gervais: Fame DVD.
Reply 23
Abigail8727
I've applied for policing and criminal investigation full time. I've got all my offers no so I'm going to talk to my tutor as to what to do next.

So what kind of career are you aiming for then?
(Sorry if that is a stupid question!)

Abigail8727
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. There isn't as much time spent in lectures and seminars as there are at 6th form now. I work better in small classes where I have time to think and process what the teacher is saying. Where I am now there is between three and five people in all my classes which is better for me.

Well many courses have lots of lectures. (e.g. at Warwick .1st year undergraduate economists go to lectures with 250 people). Almost the opposite to small group teaching. However the seminars are small group teaching.

Abigail8727
I've spent two hours cleaning this morning and my brain has gone to mush so I'll write a longer reply later :smile:

Would be good to here more if you had more to say.
But don’t feel indebted!
Not sure if this reply is a bit late, but firstly, Hi Abigail. I was lucky enough not to become unwell until after my GCSE's, and left school with 5A's and 4B's. I didn't do any A Levels simply because at tht point in my life just wanted to get on with things, rent my own place and get a job. Unfortunately when I was 19, (I'm only 22 now) I became quite unwell with ME very quickly, and as horrible as it is, it has caused me to realise that studying is something I totally took for granted, am passionate about and want to continue on with.

Due to the nature of my health, I can't attend a uni, it is a simple fact. Only you will know your own limits, and presumably ther are plenty of things a prospective uni can make allowances for if you contact them directly to explain. But at the end of the day, for me, I just couldn't manage it. I'm currently studying part time with the OU in the field that I am interested in, and it serves two purposes for me. One is that, if my health should improve in the next year or 2, I will have shown my willingness to learn, and have some good qualifications for which I can use to get on an undergraduate programme at the university of my choice. (as thankfully A levels aren't a necassary thing for 21+ students.) The second is, if I don't get significantly better in the next couple of years, I can continue on my study with the OU and obtain my degree that way. At least I wont feel like I'm wasting time.

Only you will know your personal limits, and the severity of your symptoms. For example for me, 2 hours a day studying biological sciences with the OU absolutely wipes me out for the rest of the day minimum. Headache, sore throat, nausea, fatigue, muscle pain, etc. For me if I had to do that, before or after trekking to a lecture, I'd be in trouble lol. If you think you can manage with some support you might be pleasantly surprised at the things the uni's can do for you. From personal experience, I know that right now I am not well enough, but hope to be in the future, and that is what I'm preparing myself for :biggrin:

If you think you can manage it, find out what help they can offer you. If you really don't think you can, there is certainly no shame in doin some prep study part time from home for a year or so until you feel ready.

Best of luck x

Craig

Latest

Trending

Trending