Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do they know the quantity of nutrients in foods Watch

ReputationRep:
    When you look at for example a packet of asparagus how do they know much fibre, salt & carbs are in it etc?

on a packet of asparagus I have, it says there is
    <0.1g of saturated fat, I know that that is a very small amount anyway but if it's a vegetable then why is there any saturated fat in it?

don't know why but I just became randomly curious about this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apple2017)
    When you look at for example a packet of asparagus how do they know much fibre, salt & carbs are in it etc?

<0.1g of saturated fat, I know that that is a very small amount anyway but if it's a vegetable then why is there any saturated fat in it?

A calorie is basically how much energy is given out from the product, its measured by burning the product and seeing how much is needed to heat 1kg of water by 1*C

Edit: god I'm tired. didnt even answer your question:

I assume as they're adding the ingredients for the product they'd measure the amount of each of salt etc in what they're adding (lets say they add 1000g of salt to a batch the produces 1000 5 gram items then they'd know that salt is 1/5 the contents.) +/- a certain amount as there can be errors (pouring too much or too little salt for example, or pouring powdered sugar into something and a lot of it flying away.)

its either that or they'd use a machine that measures exactly what something's made of and how much of that material is that certain substance. <--- which would be more accurate considering substances can be burnt off, reacted, go into the air etc depending on the process that's used to make them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    A calorie is basically how much energy is given out from the product, its measured by burning the product and seeing how much is needed to heat 1kg of water by 1*C
    but how do they like measure for protein and fibre and stuff? And why is there saturated fat in veg
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

You know those bleach adverts that say 'kills 99.9% of bacteria'
    I think it's like that - the bleach probably kills 100% of bacteria but it's not possible to prove it... but it's relatively easy to prove that it reliably kills 999 out of 1000 bacteria

similarly there's probably zero saturated fat in that asparagus to any reasonable definition but they can't say zero - just one molecule in there and it's not zero any more. However it's (probably) quite easy to reliably determine that the saturated fat content is zero using a method with +/- 0.1 g precision.

ReputationRep:
    but how do they like measure for protein and fibre and stuff? And why is there saturated fat in veg
    Added to it :P I've not slept yet so I'm slightly dead, keep in mind it can be wrong as I'm just assuming it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.