The Student Room Group

Bad to date someone similar to your ex?

My ex broke my heart 2 years ago and I still think about him quite a lot. He wasn't amazingly good looking but he has a winning personality. Cheeky, witty, outgoing, intelligent, kept me on my toes.
Funnily enough he was actually quite similar to my ex 3 years ago.

Fast forward to now and there's a guy who I kind of like and he likes me back and wants to take me out. He's very similar to my ex and when I imagine me and this new guy cuddling up in bed and chatting and joking around, it all looks very similar to me and my ex.

I guess I just have a type, I like confident, funny and cheeky guys who are a bit indie. But I don't know if maybe I'm just going to be comparing him to my ex and him filling a hole. I haven't responded to the date invite yet because I want to be sure in my head and not lead him on or complicate things.

Do you think it's dangerous to date people who are similar to your ex or is it something that can't really be helped.

Also, I know a lot of guys who are also confident, funny etc. but there's something that separates these 3 guys from everyone else and in turn makes them quite similar to each other.
Reply 1
I don't think it's dangerous unless it was your ex's personality that lead to the breakup.

If you get on well then go for it.
Providing the similarities aren't what's causing the break ups there's no issue. If, for example, you liked rugby playing guys who were really into partying and hook ups and then broke up because they wouldn't get serious - then that's a bad pattern. If you always like tall blondes who are funny and dress indie but broke up because of distance/cheating/fell out of love etc then it's not a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending