The Student Room Group

Teacher won't raise predicted grades.

Hi,
First of all, I don't want to be misunderstood. I don't feel like I am 'entitled' to a certain grade or whatever but I feel a little hard done by.

I got AAB at AS in Maths, Further Maths and German and was initially predicted AAA. My Maths teacher said themselves that they were 'Harsh' on my predicted grades. I therefore asked to have them looked at as on predicted grades, they should be generous instead. I also know for a fact that there are people in the same class who I did at least equally well as last year in terms of percentages who HAVE been predicted A* On our schools monitoring (where they are not being optimistic) I have since been moved up to an A1(50/50 whether I get A* or not) yet they then decided to refuse to move me up anyway, despite me making progress since they said it was harsh

I know I can't force them to change their mind or anything but is there anything I can do? Can the Head of 6th Form overrule them?
I reckon you should arrange a meeting with your head of sixth form or with the higher education team if your school has one. They can usually go above your subject teachers and change the predicted grades for you.
Reply 2
Original post by masha1995
I reckon you should arrange a meeting with your head of sixth form or with the higher education team if your school has one. They can usually go above your subject teachers and change the predicted grades for you.

Ok thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by nc212
Hi,
First of all, I don't want to be misunderstood. I don't feel like I am 'entitled' to a certain grade or whatever but I feel a little hard done by.

I got AAB at AS in Maths, Further Maths and German and was initially predicted AAA. My Maths teacher said themselves that they were 'Harsh' on my predicted grades. I therefore asked to have them looked at as on predicted grades, they should be generous instead. I also know for a fact that there are people in the same class who I did at least equally well as last year in terms of percentages who HAVE been predicted A* On our schools monitoring (where they are not being optimistic) I have since been moved up to an A1(50/50 whether I get A* or not) yet they then decided to refuse to move me up anyway, despite me making progress since they said it was harsh

I know I can't force them to change their mind or anything but is there anything I can do? Can the Head of 6th Form overrule them?
Maths is one of the subjects where there may be less tolerance around missed grades, depending on the universities you have in mind. It is also worth remembering that a big gap between actual AS and predicted A grades - unless explained - can be a sticking point for admissions tutors. Even if your predicted grades were increased so that they were a better match for the typical offers of the unis you have mind, (a) unachievable offers are pointless and (b) you might not get an offer anyway.

I'd say that unless you had very high UMS at AS level, your teacher's assessment is probably fair - given what they know now about how you are doing. Clearly, you might do a lot better over the next few months, and if that happens and you exceed your offers you can apply through UCAS - Adjustment - or cancel your application for this year altogether and go round again next if you really don't fancy the unis that have made you offers this year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Minerva
Maths is one of the subjects where there may be less tolerance around missed grades, depending on the universities you have in mind. It is also worth remembering that a big gap between actual AS and predicted A grades - unless explained - can be a sticking point for admissions tutors. Even if your predicted grades were increased so that they were a better match for the typical offers of the unis you have mind, (a) unachievable offers are pointless and (b) you might not get an offer anyway.

I'd say that unless you had very high UMS at AS level, your teacher's assessment is probably fair - given what they know now about how you are doing. Clearly, you might do a lot better over the next few months, and if that happens and you exceed your offers you can apply through UCAS - Adjustment - or cancel your application for this year altogether and go round again next if you really don't fancy the unis that have made you offers this year.

Thanks for the opinion. I got an average of 90% in Maths last year and am planning on resitting C1 just for the sake of it as we get free resits. I and others around me believe I can get an A* and the teachers monitoring (the one where they're realistic) gives me A1 as mentioned which means A* is 50/50. Its just frustrating as there are others who I know did at best equal to me in AS and got an A* without having to question it
Reply 5
Original post by nc212
Thanks for the opinion. I got an average of 90% in Maths last year and am planning on resitting C1 just for the sake of it as we get free resits. I and others around me believe I can get an A* and the teachers monitoring (the one where they're realistic) gives me A1 as mentioned which means A* is 50/50. Its just frustrating as there are others who I know did at best equal to me in AS and got an A* without having to question it
For Maths, UMS at AS of 90% (especially if that's an average absorbing a lower mark on C1, which it sounds like it is) is relatively 'low' in terms of predicting A* grades. Also, it's not just the UMS that go in to the decision - so although it might seem like people with similar marks to yours got predicted A*s without question, there will have been other factors taken into account. You might know what these were in your case, but no-one's going to tell you what they were in someone else's.
Reply 6
Original post by Minerva
For Maths, UMS at AS of 90% (especially if that's an average absorbing a lower mark on C1, which it sounds like it is) is relatively 'low' in terms of predicting A* grades. Also, it's not just the UMS that go in to the decision - so although it might seem like people with similar marks to yours got predicted A*s without question, there will have been other factors taken into account. You might know what these were in your case, but no-one's going to tell you what they were in someone else's.

You're right and whilst we got similar in exams, we also do similarly in class. Not sure if you know how Maths A-Level works but you need an average of 90% in C3 & C4 and then 80% in the rest and I'm almost certain I'll get the 80% in the rest so its just down to C3 & C4 which we haven't done any mocks on yet. I'll ask the Head of 6th to try and get them to change it. The frustrating part is that they said themselves it was harsh and then admitted I made progress since then with my monitoring, and yet didn't change it. They're meant to be optimistic and when they say its 50/50 I can't see why not
Reply 7
Original post by masha1995

Original post by Minerva

If you care, the head of 6th has given me it!
Reply 8
Original post by nc212
If you care, the head of 6th has given me it!
:smile:

Now you have to prove they were right to do so....
Original post by Minerva

Now you have to prove they were right to do so....

Because if in August you get what they originally predicted you, then they will have every right to say 'Told you so'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending