The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nadinus
I still reckon on giving at least a bit of the money. The money agreement is a seperate issue from the split and then at least you won't owe them anything, morally or in agreement.

consider this then;

given the guy split up with her when she was 'pregnant' (note the use of '')

what are the chances of this guy paying child support?
Oh, and don't let him keep everything in the joint account. Go to the bank and say you don't want to have anything to do with the account any more. You can't close it, but you might be able to take half the money (which you're absolutely entitled to) and remove your ownership from it.
Reply 82
SilverEagle
consider this then;

given the guy split up with her when she was 'pregnant' (note the use of '')

what are the chances of this guy paying child support?

What he would have done in that situation is irrelevant, and doesn't make breaking an agreement any less wrong.
Reply 83
Write her a check for some manners for her and her son!
Your well out of it xx
Reply 84
Write her the cheque and enclose a nice mean letter? I'm a big fan of the emotionally power of a decent letter.

Otherwise, wait 9 months and send him a baby photo.
Nadinus
What he would have done in that situation is irrelevant, and doesn't make breaking an agreement any less wrong.

by the sounds of it, there was a lot of ambiguity. The mother has no documentation which can be provided as evidence for this agreement.
Reply 86
fuzzyduck
Oh, and don't let him keep everything in the joint account. Go to the bank and say you don't want to have anything to do with the account any more. You can't close it, but you might be able to take half the money (which you're absolutely entitled to) and remove your ownership from it.

Take the money out BEFORE contacting the bank. (Assuming he hasn't already stolen it all.)

You probably won't be able to take your name off straight away, but you will be able to get the account frozen temporarily whilst the bank figures out what's going on.
shona
Take the money out BEFORE contacting the bank. (Assuming he hasn't already stolen it all.)

You probably won't be able to take your name off straight away, but you will be able to get the account frozen temporarily whilst the bank figures out what's going on.

Yes, good idea. But only half the money, otherwise I think the OP would be on dodgy ground.
Reply 88
fuzzyduck
Yes, good idea. But only half the money, otherwise I think the OP would be on dodgy ground.

However much money the OP thinks she's entitled to. Depending on what they've paid in lately and for what reason, she may feel that comes to the total of the money; she may feel like it only comes to 10%.

But I sincerely doubt the OP would take out more than she thought was rightfully hers - she's been taking the moral high ground in all of this, and I'm well impressed, to be honest. Her ex doesn't really deserve her being so reasonable.

There's no dodgy ground. The bank won't get involved in a dispute over what money belongs to whom. Can you imagine the costs if every couple with a joint account who had ever broken up, had asked the banks for their opinion on what they should do? Exactly.
Reply 89
xjemmax

I also do not have the money to pay them for half the flight, and if she hadn't originally said that she would help us out, I wouldnt have been going there at all. Also, I found out a couple of days ago that I am, thankfully, not pregnant.

Soo.. what does anyone think i should do?? :s-smilie:
thanks for reading thin.. I know it was very long!

What happened with this situation?
Reply 90
bekahchu
What happened with this situation?

i sent over a quarter of the money.. they decided they were going to sue me for the money! I spoke to my legal adviser though, who advised me they had no leg to stand on, but if I had ever said to anyone at all that i would send anything, i should honour it.. so I did!

never heard back from them though.. i just feel sorry for the next girl he tries this on with!

ahh well, its all better now though, new boyfriend who actually lives in this country!

thanks so much for your concern :smile:

jemma
her mom's a bit mean. I think you should just pretend you didn't get the email. As he's broken up wid you there's very little chance that he's gonna contact you for that. So don't do anything unless they go further?
Reply 92
Anonymous
her mom's a bit mean. I think you should just pretend you didn't get the email. As he's broken up wid you there's very little chance that he's gonna contact you for that. So don't do anything unless they go further?

Try reading before posting.

Latest

Trending

Trending