The Student Room Group

Questions on funding if switching to a four year course

Hi,

After realising my current degree is not for me I’m planning to take another subject. The degree I hope to switch to is a four year course that includes a foundation degree. Will I still be able to get funding for all four years despite having already completed a year on my current course?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Rougarou
Hi,

After realising my current degree is not for me I’m planning to take another subject. The degree I hope to switch to is a four year course that includes a foundation degree. Will I still be able to get funding for all four years despite having already completed a year on my current course?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rougarou,

If the new course you're interested in doing is a 4 year course including a foundation year, you can still be fully funded for the course.

When working out your calculation, you're given the length of the course, plus 1 additional year minus any previous study. This means you can receive funding for the 4 years but if you had to repeat a year you wouldn't receive full funding for the repeat year.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
That clears that up. Thank you very much for your help.
That clears that up. Thank you very much for your help.

You're very welcome

Kind regards,
John.
Reply 4
Original post by John B SFE
You're very welcome

Kind regards,
John.

Another quick question - assuming I finish the first year of my current course, will I have to start a new finance application or can I just add the details of the newer uni/course when I reapply for finance in April?
(edited 6 years ago)
Another quick question - assuming I finish the first year of my current course, will I have to start a new finance application or can I just add the details of the newer uni/course when I reapply for finance in April?

Hi Rougarou,

If you complete the full year, you'll still be classed as returning student when you start the new course next year, so you can reapply and won't have to complete the full new student application.

If you were to withdraw from the course during the academic year, you'd then be classed as a new student and would have to apply on the full new student application. Similarly, if you finished this year and then took a gap of 1 year or more, you'd be classed as a new student as well.

Best wishes,
John.
Reply 6
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Rougarou,

If you complete the full year, you'll still be classed as returning student when you start the new course next year, so you can reapply and won't have to complete the full new student application.

If you were to withdraw from the course during the academic year, you'd then be classed as a new student and would have to apply on the full new student application. Similarly, if you finished this year and then took a gap of 1 year or more, you'd be classed as a new student as well.

Best wishes,
John.

That’s a relief. Much appreciated, cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending