Turn on thread page Beta

On the road to 9s and A*A* Maths/FM watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    He is in Year 11 - everyone else will have the new spec to offer when they apply to uni.

I don't think he's wise to take A levels alongside GCSEs - I don't think unis will be impressed. Personally I don't agree with acceleration anyway - plenty of other maths stuff to study rather than take A level early.
    Why wouldn't unis be impressed? And would they be neutral or actually dislike it? If it does go well, all I can see is OP has good work ethic and motivation to cope with that workload and succeed, and how would unis see any differently? Though I dislike acceleration as well similarly to you, because exams are boring as hell. If you didn't notice he is keeping up with the "plenty of other maths stuff" by doing maths challenges and the like. And as a side note, nearly every time I see one of your posts I think to myself "god, they could stand to be a bit nicer."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I hate maths)
    Why wouldn't unis be impressed? And would they be neutral or actually dislike it? If it does go well, all I can see is OP has good work ethic and motivation to cope with that workload and succeed, and how would unis see any differently? Though I dislike acceleration as well similarly to you, because exams are boring as hell. If you didn't notice he is keeping up with the "plenty of other maths stuff" by doing maths challenges and the like. And as a side note, nearly every time I see one of your posts I think to myself "god, they could stand to be a bit nicer."
    Unis want to see a string a good GCSEs grades FIRST - they would rather see someone doing non-exam stuff rather than acceleration. I've taught very able mathematicians that could have done this but they have been advised to read around the subject and do other things. I did say this earlier in the thread.

I could stand nicer? Good grief - you don't know me - just because I say it as it is - you cannot tell 'tone' from posts on the internet. I think it's your problem, not mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Unis want to see a string a good GCSEs grades FIRST - they would rather see someone doing non-exam stuff rather than acceleration. I've taught very able mathematicians that could have done this but they have been advised to read around the subject and do other things. I did say this earlier in the thread.

I could stand nicer? Good grief - you don't know me - just because I sa it as it is - you cannot tell 'tone' from posts on the internet. I think it's your problem, not mine.
    Yeah I agree that both maths AND further maths in year 11 is a tad overkill to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Completed Qualifications:

Spoiler:
    Show

RE (Edexcel) - A*
    Maths (AQA) - 9

What I'd like to get this year:

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths (New Spec A level) - A*
    English Language - 9
    English Literature - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9
    French - 9
    Psychology - A*

Class tests:

Spoiler:
    Show

Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9 (95.5% across 7 tests/10)
    English Language - 9 (real boundaries)
    English Literature - 9
    French - N/A
    Psychology - A*

Extra stuff:

Spoiler:
    Show

Love Maths and Science. I took the UKMT SMC this year as well as the IMC challenge. This week (March 12th commencing), I'll be taking part in the IMOK Maclaurin Olympiad and the GCSE Physics Olympiad.

What I want to do:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'd like to take Physics and Chemistry for A level. An admission guy from Imperial has also invited me this year and next year to have access to some sort of program Imperial has (I think?) where they introduce you to higher Maths covered in first year undergrad. e.g. lagrange transform, partial differentiation, etc. It's an online course so I'll be doing that in sixth form too. I'd like to do Maths at uni - ideally Cambridge but I've heard it's extremely hard to get into.

You are so smart man, wish I was as smart as you. I don’t have enough time to get magnificent results like you, but I would be content with 6s in all subjects and a 9 in maths, 7 in business, and 8 in sports studies.

I chose Business as an A-Level subject but I would rather choose a science (even though I will probably drop it anyways). I’m thinking Biology since it will go with my sports but biology is my weakest science so I’m in a bit of a predicament
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's been a while since I updated this though I speak regularly to some of the people here

Recent updates:

So Easter started and I've been doing a lot of work... only for sciences and Maths so I'll need to work on that. I've also been doing a lot of Chemistry - done quite a bit of Chemistry with my brother and I've started AS Chemistry 5 days ago. I'm on module 3 on Hess' Law so I think I'm going to finish it this Easter and hopefully A2 content by May 5th. I'm then (if I finish by then) going to ask to sit A level Chemistry as well - exam board OCR A

In terms of GCSEs, I've finished Chemistry revision and will hopefully finish the 3 sciences, Maths (past papers) and revision for most of my GCSEs. I will have ~4 weeks after Easter to revise (I will do a week on English Lit/Lang, a week on Psychology/Computing, a week on French/English and a final week cramming for my first exams). I will then recap everything after as I go. Can't wait for exams

For Chemistry A level, I'm using many resources that can be useful to people:
    - chemsheets for practice
    - savemyexams
    - OCR year 1 and year 2 textbook (content + practice)
    - past papers
    - machemguy
    - allery chemistry

On a side note, hate year 11 so much - the useless teachers, boring lessons, terrible year group (>half are "roadmen"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    AS chemistry:woo: sounds interesting.
    awww that’s nice that your brother helps rip me with younger siblings who can’t help me with any of my subjects:cry:
    That sounds like a good plan for revising after Easter, I hope it works out for you!
    Have you done your French speaking exam yet?
    I agree so much about year 11, it sucks. Revision every lesson is so boring (and I’ve not got study leave so it’s not like I’ve only got to survive a couple more weeks:sadnod:)
    And the people in my year:rant: don’t get me started...

ReputationRep:
    AS Chemistry! My g that's how it's done.

I started reading ahead on Chem in Y10 and 11 too on AS, I didn't get to sit the A Level but I did get bumped to A2, you'll come to really love the content they have to offer at A2 too (though I was AQA), especially stuff on Organic. I highly recommend Chemguide on top. Chemistry as an A Level is so much more fun than Physics, at AS really, A2 is much harder to call.

I presume you're doing Physics right? Though I don't think you'll need to read much on that one since half of it is M1 :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I very much highly doubt they will let you just sit a-level chemistry like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    I very much highly doubt they will let you just sit a-level chemistry like that.
    Meh, if he's paying I'd doubt they'd care either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Meh, if he's paying I'd doubt they'd care either way
    Idk if there's a deadline for entering exams though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Idk if there's a deadline for entering exams though.
    There is - you can still enter now, but will have to pay a late entry tariff

ReputationRep:
    What exam questions do you use for Biology, Chemistry and Physics? Because I’ve done the specimen papers and the CGP practise questions and I’m struggling to find other 9-1 style exam questions. I find the old past papers are slightly easier (don’t have all the content obviously) and aren’t the same style. Or how else are you revising for those subjects to get all 9s?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while since I updated this though I speak regularly to some of the people here

Recent updates:

So Easter started and I've been doing a lot of work... only for sciences and Maths so I'll need to work on that. I've also been doing a lot of Chemistry - done quite a bit of Chemistry with my brother and I've started AS Chemistry 5 days ago. I'm on module 3 on Hess' Law so I think I'm going to finish it this Easter and hopefully A2 content by May 5th. I'm then (if I finish by then) going to ask to sit A level Chemistry as well - exam board OCR A

In terms of GCSEs, I've finished Chemistry revision and will hopefully finish the 3 sciences, Maths (past papers) and revision for most of my GCSEs. I will have ~4 weeks after Easter to revise (I will do a week on English Lit/Lang, a week on Psychology/Computing, a week on French/English and a final week cramming for my first exams). I will then recap everything after as I go. Can't wait for exams

For Chemistry A level, I'm using many resources that can be useful to people:
    - chemsheets for practice
    - savemyexams
    - OCR year 1 and year 2 textbook (content + practice)
    - past papers
    - machemguy
    - allery chemistry

On a side note, hate year 11 so much - the useless teachers, boring lessons, terrible year group (>half are "roadmen"
    Wow! So now you are going to do maths, fm and chemistry a level in year 11! And your planning on learning all the content for chemistry a level in just one month!?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by peeked)
    Wow! So now you are going to do maths, fm and chemistry a level in year 11! And your planning on learning all the content for chemistry a level in just one month!?
    Forgot about this - gotta reply to others
    And no Deadline is gone for my school so I'll take Chemistyr at end of year 12 (the a level without the lesson) so I can take more A levels next year

ReputationRep:
    Forgot about this - gotta reply to others
    And no Deadline is gone for my school so I'll take Chemistyr at end of year 12 (the a level without the lesson) so I can take more A levels next year
    But you're still doing maths and fm a-level aren't you? And also how many hours do you work per day and weekend, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    So, did you get the A* in A-level maths?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tolgarda)
    So, did you get the A* in A-level maths?
    Yeah, I forgot about this thread

ReputationRep:
    Lmao you forgot about your thread.

ReputationRep:
    Noice. Congratulations! You're clearly precociously bright with maths! Good luck with your GCSE results as well. Do keep us updated for GCSE results day haha.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.