The Student Room Group

Study Abroad questions

Hi! I'm considering applying to study abroad for an integral year in 2019/20 (a long way off, yes, but it is what it is) and I was wondering:

Would I still receive a tuition fee/maintenance loan for the year abroad? I currently receive the London loan - would this be changed as well?

How should I best estimate my expenses/travel costs? I'm aware there's a travel grant for certain costs, but I don't know how much I could get - and cost would be the main deciding factor between applying for the year or not.

With a US visa, you need to prove that you have a certain amount of money available to you (I think 19k?) -- how does Student Finance factor into this?

I understand that things may change before 2019, but I don't want to get my hopes up about taking a year abroad if it's financially unfeasible.

Thank you!
Original post by jeanprouvaire
Hi! I'm considering applying to study abroad for an integral year in 2019/20 (a long way off, yes, but it is what it is) and I was wondering:

Would I still receive a tuition fee/maintenance loan for the year abroad? I currently receive the London loan - would this be changed as well?

How should I best estimate my expenses/travel costs? I'm aware there's a travel grant for certain costs, but I don't know how much I could get - and cost would be the main deciding factor between applying for the year or not.

With a US visa, you need to prove that you have a certain amount of money available to you (I think 19k?) -- how does Student Finance factor into this?

I understand that things may change before 2019, but I don't want to get my hopes up about taking a year abroad if it's financially unfeasible.

Thank you!

Hi jeanprouvaire,

If the study abroad is an integrated part of the course and you are spending more than 50% of a term abroad we will award the abroad rate of maintenance loan for the full term in question.

Students who are studying abroad are eligible to have their payments brought forward if they are:

Going abroad more than 25 days before their course start date (1st instalment can be paid early)

Studying in country where there are 2 semesters rather than the usual 3 (including, but not limited to, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand)*

*This can be paid in 2 equal installments of 50%.

Customers applying for a travel grant must be income assessed.
Travel Grants can be claimed by students to assist with travel costs incurred while studying abroad or on clinical placements.

The first £303.00 of travel costs per academic year is to be met by student

If the household income is over £39796.00 then there will be a reduction to the amount paid to the student, this will be a reduction at a rate of £1.00 for each additional £9.27 over that threshold. Maximum contribution of £6210.00 (Please do not offer to calculate this for the student, they will need to wait until the assessment is completed for this figure to be released to them)

No Travel Grant will be awarded if the household income is overscale

Any costs above the first £303.00 will be reimbursed pound for pound (depending on the household income threshold)

The cost of mandatory visa, medical tests and medical insurance are not subject to the £303 disregard, but may be subject to deduction based on household income.

You can use the Student Finance England Calculator online to give you an estimate based on current support available, as this may change by 2019/20

Here is a link to take you to that page,

http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending