The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan - Help!

As someone who stresses increasingly frequently over the past couple of years, I have come to the motherload of all stresses. Maintenance Loans.
My predicament is as follows. I receive no support from my Mother or Father in terms of financial aid, I pay my own way as much as possible but have been living between homes for the past year. I currently live with my girlfriend, but it seems as though that isn't taken into consideration on the forms I'm filling out.
So why on earth do they need my parents annual income if I receive next to no financial support from them? I plan on calling up SFL in order to iron out the details and get a better grasp of what I should do, but I wanted a students perspective and how they approached the issues presented when applying.
Original post by BarneyOP
As someone who stresses increasingly frequently over the past couple of years, I have come to the motherload of all stresses. Maintenance Loans.
My predicament is as follows. I receive no support from my Mother or Father in terms of financial aid, I pay my own way as much as possible but have been living between homes for the past year. I currently live with my girlfriend, but it seems as though that isn't taken into consideration on the forms I'm filling out.
So why on earth do they need my parents annual income if I receive next to no financial support from them? I plan on calling up SFL in order to iron out the details and get a better grasp of what I should do, but I wanted a students perspective and how they approached the issues presented when applying.

Hi BarneyOP,

A student who is under 25 years old, not married and has no dependent children is normally assessed on the household income of the parent they would normally live with, we would not use your parents income.

A student may be classed as independent if they have supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study. The three years can include periods when they were:

In paid full-time employment

In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed

In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance

Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

The three years of self support do not need to be consecutive. However they do need to cover 3 years prior to the start of study. This would entitle them to be assessed based on their income rather than their parents.

If you are under 25 and are irreconcilably estranged from your parents or have been the subject of a care order you can also be assessed as independent.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending