The Student Room Group

Parent splitting up so changing details in order to change finances

Both my parents have separated and have recently moved in to separate houses. Although they were never married, Student Finance England said that i was unable to prove they live separately and have split up so i would not be entitled to any more funds? surely other people have had this problem and solved it?
Original post by fr258608
Both my parents have separated and have recently moved in to separate houses. Although they were never married, Student Finance England said that i was unable to prove they live separately and have split up so i would not be entitled to any more funds? surely other people have had this problem and solved it?

Hi fr258608,

If your parents have separated then we will require evidence of this so that we can reassess your application to insure that you are receiving the maximum funding, the evidence required would be one of the following,

Decree Nisi

Most recently dated Council tax bill showing 25% single person occupancy discount.

Solicitors letter confirming separation

A Signed Affidavit* - a sworn declaration they make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. They typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.

Statutory declaration* - normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or can be drafted by a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court.

Thanks

Catherine
Original post by fr258608

Hi fr258608,

In order for student finance to assess you for the correct entitlement we would require evidence of Marital status. Usually we would accept one of the following.

Most recently dated Council tax bill showing 25% single person occupancy discount .

Solicitors letter confirming separation.

A Signed Affidavit - a sworn declaration they make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. They typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.

Statutory declaration - normally drafted by a Solicitor.

In some cases a student/sponsor may not be able to provide the standard evidence requested and we would consider alternative evidence .
In this case we would ask you to provide the following.

A Tenancy agreement or mortgage statement in their own name.
2 utility bills in their name only, dated within the last 6 months and
Their current council tax bill.
This evidence will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending