The Student Room Group

Second Degree

Hi, I'm a British national, but from 2001-2011 I lived in Switzerland. During my time there I completed a self-funded degree. Last year I started a part-time OU Engineering degree and received funding from Student Finance. As this has gone academically well I would like to change to studying at a brick and mortar university. Would I be able to get support for this?
Original post by JasonKane
Hi, I'm a British national, but from 2001-2011 I lived in Switzerland. During my time there I completed a self-funded degree. Last year I started a part-time OU Engineering degree and received funding from Student Finance. As this has gone academically well I would like to change to studying at a brick and mortar university. Would I be able to get support for this?

Hi Jason,

Student Finance England will not fund another degree that is the same level or lower level than the degree that you already hold.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi Jason,

Student Finance England will not fund another degree that is the same level or lower level than the degree that you already hold.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

I was intending to do an integrated masters degree (MEng). Does that make any difference? My current degree is a BSc.

Thanks,

Jason
Hi Catherine,

I was intending to do an integrated masters degree (MEng). Does that make any difference? My current degree is a BSc.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

What course is sit your going to be studying?
Is the course full time or part time?
what length is the course?

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 4
Hi Jason,

What course is sit your going to be studying?
Is the course full time or part time?
what length is the course?

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

The course is MEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering at the University of York. It's four years full time.

Thanks,

Jason
Hi Catherine,

The course is MEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering at the University of York. It's four years full time.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

How many years previous study do you have?

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 6
Hi Jason,

How many years previous study do you have?

Thanks

Catherine

My first degree was a three year BSc that I did via the University of London's International Program (distance learning).
In 2017 I started an 8 year MEng degree with the OU and which I intend to complete the first year before starting the York degree. It is because this is part-time that I am switching to York so as it can be completed in 4 rather than 8 years.

Thanks,

Jason
(edited 6 years ago)
My first degree was a three year BSc that I did via the University of London's International Program (distance learning).
In 2017 I started an 8 year MEng degree with the OU and which I intend to complete the first year before starting the York degree. It is because this is part-time that I am switching to York so as it can be completed in 4 rather than 8 years.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

So that I can check the course on the system can you confirm the name of the University you will be studying at?

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 8
Hi Jason,

So that I can check the course on the system can you confirm the name of the University you will be studying at?

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

The university is the University of York, the UCAS course code is H609.

Thanks,

Jason
Hi Catherine,

The university is the University of York, the UCAS course code is H609.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

The course is an eligible course for funding but we will also take into consideration your previous study, this means that you will be entitled to Maintenance Loan only.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 10
Hi Jason,

The course is an eligible course for funding but we will also take into consideration your previous study, this means that you will be entitled to Maintenance Loan only.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Thank you for looking into this for me and for all of your prompt replies.

Regards,

Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending