The Student Room Group

higher amount of maintenance loan?

what does it mean to apply for the higher amount of maintenance loan? the student finance website makes a distinction between a maintenance loan and the higher amount of maintenance loan, but doesn't really explain what applying for the higher amount means or whether there is a criteria for it.
Original post by pinkfloyd1832
what does it mean to apply for the higher amount of maintenance loan? the student finance website makes a distinction between a maintenance loan and the higher amount of maintenance loan, but doesn't really explain what applying for the higher amount means or whether there is a criteria for it.

It basically means you get more money, and you can apply for the maximum of I think £8700 outside London and around £11000 inside London. You're assessed on your parents' income, so they'll need to send off evidence and fill out forms themselves about their jobs and incomes.
Original post by DrawTheLine
It basically means you get more money, and you can apply for the maximum of I think £8700 outside London and around £11000 inside London. You're assessed on your parents' income, so they'll need to send off evidence and fill out forms themselves about their jobs and incomes.

there isn't a criteria or anything? anyone can apply?
there isn't a criteria or anything? anyone can apply?

I believe so. Look on the SF website and it'll tell you all the details. Just because you're applying for the higher loan doesn't mean you will get it.
Original post by DrawTheLine
I believe so. Look on the SF website and it'll tell you all the details. Just because you're applying for the higher loan doesn't mean you will get it.

awesome! just didn't want to accidentally apply for something i wasn't supposed to. thanks a lot :-)
awesome! just didn't want to accidentally apply for something i wasn't supposed to. thanks a lot :-)

Oh definitely apply for it! If you can get more money I don't see why you wouldn't at least try to get it.

Hi pinkfloyd1832,

If you request the higher amount of maintenance loan, we will take your household income into account when calculating your entitlement.

To see how much more that you may be entitled to, here is a link to the Student Finance Calculator,

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks Rona
hi, at what point do you ask about household income and stuff cause in my application for student finance that question was not asked
Original post by sl8720203
hi, at what point do you ask about household income and stuff cause in my application for student finance that question was not asked

Hi there,

It should ask if you wish to apply for the higher loan, and this is when it should ask who you wish to support your application.

Thanks, Erin
Hi Erin , I had a quick question , which documents do we have to fill out and post to sfe for them to allow us higher maintenance loan?
Original post by muhammeed
Hi Erin , I had a quick question , which documents do we have to fill out and post to sfe for them to allow us higher maintenance loan?

We would need you to complete the PFF2 and household income form. Would this be for the 22/23 or 21/22 year?

Thanks, Erin
Hi am i too late to apply for my student loan - i just got back from travelling and had completely forgotten this is something i had to do thanks
Original post by EdwardHulton
Hi am i too late to apply for my student loan - i just got back from travelling and had completely forgotten this is something i had to do thanks

Hi Edward,

If your course begins in the 22/23 academic year, apply ASAP. Applications are open until 9 months after the academic year begins.

Thanks, Jen
Reply 13
Hi,

When you apply for the higher amount of maintenance loan are you given the option of how much you want to take? I'm not planning on actually getting a maintenance loan - I'm only applying for it to get my income assessed to be eligible for bursaries/scholarships from the university I'm going to. So if I apply for the higher amount (for income assessment), I wouldn't be obliged to take the loan would I?

Thanks
Original post by hj_786
Hi,

When you apply for the higher amount of maintenance loan are you given the option of how much you want to take? I'm not planning on actually getting a maintenance loan - I'm only applying for it to get my income assessed to be eligible for bursaries/scholarships from the university I'm going to. So if I apply for the higher amount (for income assessment), I wouldn't be obliged to take the loan would I?

Thanks

Hi there,

If you don't want to be assessed for the higher loan (and its only for bursary purposes) you would click 'yes' on your application and put '0' as the amount of loan you are want to take out. This way we'll assess you based on your parent(s) earnings but not award you any maintenance loan.

Thanks, Jason
Hi, if we don’t apply for the higher maintenance loan how does SFE calculate how much loan you will get since you don’t provide any details about parents income?
Original post by livmacaron
Hi, if we don’t apply for the higher maintenance loan how does SFE calculate how much loan you will get since you don’t provide any details about parents income?

Hi Liv,

There are basic non income assessed amount that are based on your living location and course details.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending