The Student Room Group

Refusal to help from step-parent

Applying for student finance, my step-father refused to fill in the form which leaves me unable to apply for a higher loan, bursaries and scholarships. I didn't expect this to happen but I'm not surprised either.

Coming from a low-income home (maximum loan requirement), I don't think I'll be able to support myself at university with the minimum loan. Now the online application is unable to be changed since it requires information from both of my parents.

What can I do in this situation? Can I contact student finance and explain this to them? Any help is appreciated
Original post by kwtan
Applying for student finance, my step-father refused to fill in the form which leaves me unable to apply for a higher loan, bursaries and scholarships. I didn't expect this to happen but I'm not surprised either.

Coming from a low-income home (maximum loan requirement), I don't think I'll be able to support myself at university with the minimum loan. Now the online application is unable to be changed since it requires information from both of my parents.

What can I do in this situation? Can I contact student finance and explain this to them? Any help is appreciated

i'm afraid there isnt anything you can do as student finance won't accept you saying that he won't declare his income as otherwise anyone could say that to try and blag the maximum loan. You need to have a frank conversation with your mum if not your step dad that his decision is potentially stopping you from going to university and that if he does give his details you'll be out of the house and not relying on his income now quicker.
Reply 2
Unfortunately its easier said than done. Its depressing to think that even after all the hardwork I may not be able to go to uni simply because somebody decides to be an *******. Thanks for your reply though appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending