The Student Room Group

Can anyone think of anymore retail companies who don't discriminate against older . .

Older workers?

All I've got is John Lewis and Marks and Spencer's but they rarely hire where I live.
Original post by Mayavalentine
Older workers?

All I've got is John Lewis and Marks and Spencer's but they rarely hire where I live.

Age discrimination is illegal.
How old?
B&Q, Waitrose, Co-Op.
Original post by 999tigger
How old?
B&Q, Waitrose, Co-Op.

I'm thinking late twenties in case I fail my degree. It's just some companies are more likely to employ younger kids because they can pay them less - that's what I meant. It's interesting you said B&Q, loads of people on yahoo answers said that too

There is no such thing as an anti-discrimination law in employment that works.

Sure, it is forbidden to write in the advertisement that eg. 'we hire only young' or 'we're looking for men only' but in the end, it is up to them who they will hire, so the law only makes people wasting time with a company who secretly doesn't wish to hire old men, Marsians, etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
There is no such thing as an anti-discrimination law in employment that works.

Sure, it is forbidden to write in the advertisement that eg. 'we hire only young' or 'we're looking for men only' but in the end, it is up to them who they will hire, so the law only makes people wasting time with a company who secretly doesn't wish to hire old men, Marsians, etc.

I hadnt realised you were a UK lawyer.
Good to see you agree that age discrimination is illegal in the UK.
I hadnt realised you were a UK lawyer.
Good to see you agree that age discrimination is illegal in the UK.

I'm just putting logic against wishful thinking, and I know from life it works exactly the way I described.
An employer may have dozens of reasons to hire someone else, and it is very difficult if not impossible to prove that discrimination was the reason.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending