The Student Room Group

Risks of egg donation?

I need money and this seems like the least dangerous body part to sell. However, I get really bad PMS and menstrual migraines as it is, and I want kids of my own some day (at least a decade from now but still). I don't want to do this if it's going to impact my health in the short term or affect my fertility in the long term.

Is it safe?
Original post by Anonymous
I need money and this seems like the least dangerous body part to sell. However, I get really bad PMS and menstrual migraines as it is, and I want kids of my own some day (at least a decade from now but still). I don't want to do this if it's going to impact my health in the short term or affect my fertility in the long term.

Is it safe?

Best to ask a qualified medical professional.
Reply 2
If you put your self forward for this they will explain all risks. Its not likely to be a pleasant or entirely risk free process. I personally wouldnt do this just for money
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
If you put your self forward for this they will explain all risks. Its not likely to be a pleasant or entirely risk free process. I personally wouldnt do this just for money

Original post by Volibear
It's not a pleasant procedure and be aware that I think any resulting kids can track you down in 18 years. That alone put me off but I'm not sure if it's true for the UK (or if you care lol).

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

It doesn't sound like an especially pleasant procedure but you can get up to £750 for it and I could really do with the money. And yeah, there's no way to donate eggs anonymously, and you have no contact until any resulting children turn 18, when they get given your info and can get in contact with you if they want. The whole thing feels a bit weird tbh and there's always going to be a bit of "what if" but up to £750 per cycle might be worth it.
Reply 4
It doesn't sound like an especially pleasant procedure but you can get up to £750 for it and I could really do with the money. And yeah, there's no way to donate eggs anonymously, and you have no contact until any resulting children turn 18, when they get given your info and can get in contact with you if they want. The whole thing feels a bit weird tbh and there's always going to be a bit of "what if" but up to £750 per cycle might be worth it.

To be honest if they're only paying £750, it definately isn't worth it. This is nothing compared to the emotionally and physical risks. A job now will reasonably quickly pay as much and in the future it's a fraction of a months salary. Unless you want to do it for other reasons don't do it.
It's illegal to be paid for eggs, they do repay expenses though, so if you needed time off work for example. There are a lot of risks, such as overstimulating the ovaries, and the medication (usually injections) that you have to have to stimulate your ovaries has side effects. It's not worth it to be honest.
Reply 6

Is it safe?

It isn't dangerous, but it's also not 100% safe. Here's some info:
https://www.eggdonoramerica.com/become-egg-donor/donor-egg-risks-complications

Honestly it seems if you're looking to sell parts of you the best option would be hair or blood plasma. And in your case it wouldn't have that potential of messing with already unpleasant periods.
You can get £50 per 300mil for blood plasma.
http://www.trials4us.co.uk/registration/blood-donation.php
And you can get up to £7 for 25grams of hair
https://www.moneymagpie.com/make-money/make-money-by-selling-your-hair

Also it appears the money you get for egg donation is up to that amount and will only be paid based on the expenses involved for you. Technically you're getting money for it, but I'm not sure you could actually make a profit.

Quick Reply

Latest