The Student Room Group

Final year maintenance loan 50% of previous

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AndrewBlue
Hey!, I'm a student in London living with parents, for rent. I've applied for maximum maitenance loan yearly :smile:... First year I got 6.9k, second year 8.7k and now they approved me for 3.7k! That's quite low in comparison. I've looked around and most people say they got decreased in last year by maybe 1k or a maximum of 25%. My tuition loan was a straight 9k a year.

Something strage I've noticed, last night it said I'm waiting for myparents to provide their financial information. This morning it says my application is done and payments scheduled (3.7k as above^). I checked with my parents they haven't provided their information and both received the email.

So the email was asking for their financial infromation from 2016/17 (which was my first year of the course). They already provided this in the first and probably last year. So maybe this morning someone human reviewed my account and saw the information was already there so they finalised my application? ...

My parents income is 20-30k roughly. I can check specifics later today.

But I still think from 6.9 and 8.7 to 3.7 is a bit much. Anything I could do? - I probably will move out by the end of the school year (april 2019), a bit early, maybe I could put that in the application?

You have had the basic loan approved. No financial assessment has been done. Your parents have to provide evidence of their income from the 16/17 tax year (for last year they were asked for income in 15/16 and for your first year they were asked for their income in 14/15 - SFE always asks for income evidence for the previous completed tax year to assess household income).

Once they provide the income information and evidence then SFE will reassess your loan amount and adjust it upwards.
Hi

If it’s your final year you only get paid up until last day of course. The amount you quoted sounds like the non means tested funding amount. Your parent’s need to support your application every year.

If you call us on 0300 100 0607 we can access your account and confirm what is still required.

Thanks

Gerard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending