The Student Room Group

Scared to drive a car

Hi there, im scared of driving a car, i tried to do it with my mum as shes drived for years but when ever im behind the wheel I'll cry for no reason. I really want to drive but I'm scared I might crash or do something wrong. I really like your thoughts about this. Thanks
Original post by Crazykara
Hi there, im scared of driving a car, i tried to do it with my mum as shes drived for years but when ever im behind the wheel I'll cry for no reason. I really want to drive but I'm scared I might crash or do something wrong. I really like your thoughts about this. Thanks

Have you started driving lessons with a driving instructor? They will have experience in helping you get over your nerves and getting you more confident behind the wheel. The more practice you get, the more you will be used to being on the road. You might want to start off small, like driving around an empty car park or quiet roads.

I second what @cheesecakelove said

Practice is key. It's the only way you'll get better at driving and the only way you'll overcome your irrational fear/response.

You should start with a proper instructor, who is trained to do this as their job and will have a small car with dual controls. They'll start with you driving slowly on an open area where you can't crash or do anything silly. Once you've done a few lessons then you can consider driving with your parents.
Reply 5
I've just passed my test last Monday and driving is so scary on your own! I have 3 children so it's extra tough driving with them talking, asking questions etc. I just go get myself to drive to local places but I try and put it off unless I have to go. Have you had proper driving lessons and passed your test? I passed on my 5th try so don't feel bad if you don't pass your first time. Hardly anyone does!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending