The Student Room Group

Not accepting my unconditional offer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fire And Fury
I got an unconditional offer from Bangor to do biology if i make it my first choice, but I don't want to accept it because I wasn't a big fan of the uni when I went on the open day and only put it down because I needed a 5th choice, but now i'm feeling pressured by my family to put it down as my first choice. What should I do?

If you don’t want to go there - Don’t.

Don’t forget that universities get £9k a year in tuition from you, unconditional if firmed is a way of them wanting to maximise profits.
Reply 21
I got two unconditional offers last year, and one conditional offer which would be made unconditional if I firmed it. Instead of choosing any of my unconditional offers, I decided to firm the university that only gave me a conditional offer. Safe to say not many people were impressed by my decision, but I still got into university (my firm choiced one), and I did what I wanted to do. That's what is most important out of all of this, going with what makes YOU happy. Try not to worry about what other people want you to do; do what YOU want to do. That's what I did and I could not be happier now.
(edited 5 years ago)
The biggest mistake you could make is firming somewhere just because they gave you an unconditional.

Pick where you really want to go.
Original post by LeapingLucy
It's not "risky" - it's called having ambition and not settling for the worst but easiest option.

Besides, this year has the lowest number of 18 year olds for ages. I can all but guarantee you that if you firm Liverpool and then miss your grades, Bangor would take you anyway on results day through clearing, even if you hadn't firmed/insuranced them.

way lower than last year?
There is some good advice in this thread.

Whatever happens in this UCAS round, settling for second best is not a good strategy for winning at life.
Family pressure can be tricky. You want them on side but have your own impressions. Did your family go with you when you went there? You could ask them: on what basis they think it’s a good idea. Explain what it was that put you off and what you are looking for. Think about it objectively, weigh up their responses and your own. Ultimately go with your gut. Meaning, you discussed it, thought it through then made the right decision for you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Don’t firm it, I had a similar experience where the university was desperate to recruit students and resorted to lowering the grades to entice me. It wasn’t a bad university but not overly great. My firm was a top ish university who accepted me without clearing despite missing two grades off my original offer. If a university really likes you, they’ll accept you but don’t accept an offer if it’s not what you want.
i've got an offer from Liverpool which is ABB, and the foundation year at Liverpool which is CCC, I am currently waiting on Warwick and East Anglia. I would much rather put Liverpool or Warwick as my firm, and the foundation year as my reserve, but my parents and siblings say that its risky and I should take the safe option.

Don't take the safe option - you'll regret it. Even if you don't get the grades you'll probably get into a better uni via clearing if worst comes to worst. I've never even heard of Bangor uni whereas the rest are decent to good unis. Don't accept it in my opinion.
Don't put it as your first choice if it's not. They give unconditionals because they're desperate for students & the money that comes with students - there's been a fall in the number of 18 year olds this year and the government has made it far harder for them to recruit internationals.

So they give out unconditionals-if-you-firm to try to bribe students who really could do better to come to their uni instead.

Put as your first choice wherever you actually want to go. Chances are that - if on results day you end up with grades far lower than you expected - Bangor would happily take you anyway, even if you didn't firm it. They're that desperate for students.

How has the government made it harder for unis to get international students?
Original post by Octantis
How has the government made it harder for unis to get international students?

A series of many things since 2010. Basically, the government is convinced that there is a problem with 'fake students' coming to the UK on student visas with the intention of working illegally and not studying at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jul/29/a-guide-to-the-governments-new-rules-for-international-students

So over the past few years they've introduced lots of measures to basically make the UK a less attractive destination for international students.
A series of many things since 2010. Basically, the government is convinced that there is a problem with 'fake students' coming to the UK on student visas with the intention of working illegally and not studying at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jul/29/a-guide-to-the-governments-new-rules-for-international-students

So over the past few years they've introduced lots of measures to basically make the UK a less attractive destination for international students.

Does this apply to EU citizens as well?
I got an unconditional offer from Bangor to do biology if i make it my first choice, but I don't want to accept it because I wasn't a big fan of the uni when I went on the open day and only put it down because I needed a 5th choice, but now i'm feeling pressured by my family to put it down as my first choice. What should I do?

Do what YOU feel right. Its your studies at the end of the day, you're going to have to study and live and its going to be your life. Don't let them pressurise you, it isnt the end of the world if you dont accept the offer, theres many other options for you. Please think this through :smile:
Ultimately in life there is no wrong decision. Sometimes we don’t have the luxury of choices. When you do it’s your choice. Better that than burdening someone else with being responsible should you feel the choice was wrong at a later date.Giving advice also bestows the burden of meddling in someone else’s life. If there is any doubt when choosing a life direction, then it’s probably not the way to go. When it feels right you’ll know.
This is slightly dumb. Universities often give unconditional offers because they know that you are very good - possibly too good for that university. If this is your fifth choice you are very likely to be able to get into at least one of the other universities on your list, and these are probably better than Bangor (not that there's anything wrong with Bangor). Surely you would want to go to the best university you could get into?

Also just ignore your family tbh.
Don't be pressured, wait for all the offers to come in and choose according to whichever you want to firm

Have you explsined to them exactly why you named the university on your UCAS application? They may be labouring under the misapprehension that you put it down because it was somewhere that you would actually like to go and study...
(edited 5 years ago)
At the end of the day, you end up with a degree from the university you go to, would you prefer to say you have a degree from an illilustrious university like Bangor or would you rather say you took the risk, got your degree from Liverpool a place you can be much more proud of saying you went to, like realistically, who would want to go to bangor, its your teaching quality, degree, job prospects that really matter, not the bottom line of some c***** university in Wales.
Original post by SlumpLord
Tell them to wait until you have got all you offers then make a choice. You’re going by there, not your family and for 3-4 years. They should have some input but you shouldn’t make a decision 100% based on their opinion.

Exactly
Once you have all your offers, then make your choice. Its your choice not theirs.
Reply 38

It's a marketing tactic by universities to get bums on their seats.

Think of it like this: does you family prefer you to only buy the products they see advertised on TV or do they encourage you to do your own research to find a product that's best for you? :beard:

You will be studying this course for 3 years - pick the course you most enjoy at a university you actually want to live/study at for those 3 years.
Despite it saying unconditional, they could easily reject you if you have all Es, it clearly demonstrates you have no proficiency or determination in your chosen subject. I am not an advocate of unconditionals, they are just a cheap tactic used to lure students in. Continue to focus on your A levels, and ensure you attain the best possible grades; choose a university you want to go to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending