The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan for Migrant Workers

Hi,

My name is Ricardo and I am a 3rd year student. I applied for the maintenance loan 2 years in a row as a migrant worker. I had several people working for the SLE telling me that my maintenance loan accounts for the academic period, in this case, September to April, so any change in employment during the summer should not affect my entitlement.

Recently I was told by the Migrant Worker Team that my entitlement from last year has been reassessed and reduced, due to a change in employment occurred during summer, I was working as a placement student for a few months so I could not have a regular job. I thought it was just a misunderstood, specially because I know many foreign students who quit from their jobs at the end of the academic year and go back to their countries during summer. These people never had their loan reduced because they were in employment during the academic period (September to April). In addition, for the past two years I have never been asked for any payslip during summer break.

What should I do? Asked several students in the same conditions as me and they said I am not supposed to get my loan reduced.

Thanks.
Original post by RC923
Hi,

My name is Ricardo and I am a 3rd year student. I applied for the maintenance loan 2 years in a row as a migrant worker. I had several people working for the SLE telling me that my maintenance loan accounts for the academic period, in this case, September to April, so any change in employment during the summer should not affect my entitlement.

Recently I was told by the Migrant Worker Team that my entitlement from last year has been reassessed and reduced, due to a change in employment occurred during summer, I was working as a placement student for a few months so I could not have a regular job. I thought it was just a misunderstood, specially because I know many foreign students who quit from their jobs at the end of the academic year and go back to their countries during summer. These people never had their loan reduced because they were in employment during the academic period (September to April). In addition, for the past two years I have never been asked for any payslip during summer break.

What should I do? Asked several students in the same conditions as me and they said I am not supposed to get my loan reduced.

Thanks.

Hello Ricardo,

For most students, last year’s academic year in terms of the funding we provide ran from 01/09/17 31/08/18 and therefore does cover the summer period.

We provide some funding to cover students during the summer months to help with living costs and it’s also the reason why the final year rate of maintenance loan is less than any proceeding years.

If as a migrant worker you end employment during the academic year voluntarily then you will automatically lose your status as a migrant worker. This means your funding may need to be prorated.

Warm Regards, Dean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending