The Student Room Group

Rejected from a uni with lower entry requirements than another

Hiya guys, I was wondering that I’ve been rejected from a uni that is asking for BBB however I’ve been accepted to one that asks for AAB/ABB. The second uni is supposedly a lot better in terms of league tables, student satisfaction and teaching as well. The course i think is equally competitive too. I’m not complaining at all with my offer haha however I’m just intrigued to how the selection process works as I would have presumed the outcome was going to be the opposite. Thanks x
Has it crossed your mind that the two universities are looking for different attributes, as evidenced by your application, and that you meet the ones sought by one university, but not those of the other?
It's hard not to take rejection personally, but it may just be a numbers thing if e.g. the uni who rejected you had a surprisingly high number of applicants this year and so could be more choosy.

Equally, most unis these days set their entry requirements as high as they feel they can get away with- it can help them in the league tables and it can be a way of making themselves look good- even though they may accept people with much lower grades on results day. The second uni may be being more honest with their grade requirements and looking at other qualities more.

It sounds like you like your offer better anyway, so I wouldn't worry about this too much!
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It's hard not to take rejection personally, but it may just be a numbers thing if e.g. the uni who rejected you had a surprisingly high number of applicants this year and so could be more choosy.

Equally, most unis these days set their entry requirements as high as they feel they can get away with- it can help them in the league tables and it can be a way of making themselves look good- even though they may accept people with much lower grades on results day. The second uni may be being more honest with their grade requirements and looking at other qualities more.

It sounds like you like your offer better anyway, so I wouldn't worry about this too much!

Ahhh okay I see what you mean, I didn't know that before hand haha. It is strange though especially since i know someone who was accepted with CDD to the first uni on results day as well!
Original post by ellieknight
Ahhh okay I see what you mean, I didn't know that before hand haha. It is strange though especially since i know someone who was accepted with CDD to the first uni on results day as well!

Ask for feedback to make sure they didn't reject you for incorrect reasons.
Original post by ellieknight

Things may have changed this year, though, and things are different between different courses.

Original post by ageshallnot
Ask for feedback to make sure they didn't reject you for incorrect reasons.

Universities are unlikely to give feedback so explicit/precise that candidates can challenge it. There's also no real mechanism for appealing admissions decisions at this stage.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Universities are unlikely to give feedback so explicit/precise that candidates can challenge it. There's also no real mechanism for appealing admissions decisions at this stage.

I have seen people on here rejected for reasons such as having an inadequate GCSE grade. which turned out to be spurious.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending