The Student Room Group

Parent gave me just £20 for my 21st

Hi everyone,

I’m not sure if it’s just me being unappreciative but since the year started am at university and my parents have hardly supported me even when they earn sufficient amounts of money >35k a year.

So on my birthday, I only got £20, this is the only money I’ve received since the year started and my birthday was beginning of December.
Am I honestly asking for too much?

Scroll to see replies

yes i only got supermarket discounted cake for my 18th (which is an even bigger deal than a 21st since we're not the US) so be grateful they even got you anything when you're a full grown adult
Don't be entitled, because you're not entitled to anything.

Equally, reciprocate. That's where your relationship appears to be. Or maybe your parents got pissed and they began reciprocating.
Original post by LostAccount
Don't be entitled, because you're not entitled to anything.

Bad philosophy that. You start thinking like that and people will exploit you.

£20 is shite mate. If I were you, I would give it back to the bleeders, you look undignified for even accepting what these jokers gave you. Tell them to piss off.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jeffhudson92
Bad philosophy that. You start thinking like that and people will take the piss.

£20 is shite mate. If I were you, I would give it back to the bleeders, you look undignified for even accepting what these jokers gave you. Tell them to piss off.

I rate that still
Reply 5
They raised you for 18 years.

They don't owe you anything; besides they probably thought if they gave you a load of money you would of just blew it anyway.
I wouldn't want to work all week just to give it to my 21 year old kid so they can go on some pissup. Because it will just end in getting a phone call asking if I can pick up someone from the police station because he/she took a dump in a post box.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I’m not sure if it’s just me being unappreciative but since the year started am at university and my parents have hardly supported me even when they earn sufficient amounts of money >35k a year.

So on my birthday, I only got £20, this is the only money I’ve received since the year started and my birthday was beginning of December.

It is more than some people get.
You may be disappointed that this £20 didn't reach your expectations, but did you actually tell your parents explicitly what you wanted for your birthday? Maybe if you had specifically stated "Mum/Dad, I would like book X and Y for Uni for my birthday, plz" then they may have spent more money on you (it isn't all about monetary value though)

I'm saying if you don't specifically tell them what you want, you can't then be annoyed when it isn't what you expected.

p.s. Don't be ungrateful, £20 is a reasonable number of pints down the pub to celebrate your birthday! (Y)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by adam277

They don't owe you anything; besides they probably thought if they gave you a load of money you would of just blew it anyway.
I wouldn't want to work all week just to give it to my 21 year old kid so they can go on some pissup. Because it will just end in getting a phone call asking if I can pick up someone from the police station because he/she took a dump in a post box.

Please, get off your high horse. You know the game. At 21 most ain’t got sh!t. Got to get what you can and those greedy sh!tters should know it. £20 is a total insult, I would burn the £20 note in front of them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Please, get off your high horse. You know the game. At 21 most ain’t got sh!t. Got to get what you can and those greedy sh!tters should know it. £20 is a total insult, I would burn the £20 note in front of them.

£20 is a lot of money when you have to work for it.
Original post by adam277
£20 is a lot of money when you have to work for it.

Wow, you sound fun at a party. I bet you’re a right blast.

How old are you? 40 or something?
Hi everyone,

£35k comes to just over £27k a year after taxes. That's just over £2k a month which is not a lot. So £20 is proportionally not bad if you consider how many other expenses they've to pay for.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Turquaz
£35k a grea comes to just over £27k a year after taxes. That's just over £2k a month which is not a lot. So £20 is proportionally not bad if you consider how many other expenses they've to pay for.

I call bullsh!t.

Lots of people on half that salary can do better for a 21st.

OP, they pretty much gave you the finger.
(edited 5 years ago)
You shouldn’t put up with this behaviour off the father. By accepting a poxy £20 note, you are effectively becoming his b!tch.

Show him who’s really gonna be the b!tch this time round.

Tell him to stick the £20 so far up his arse that it comes back out of his mouth.
(edited 5 years ago)
I get nothing for my birthday cause its like a week after christmas just saying.
I call bullsh!t.

Lots of people on half that salary can do better for a 21st.

OP, they pretty much gave you the finger.

OK then I've an idea for you. Why don't adopt the OP as your child and give yourself the opportunity to do better than their existing parents :biggrin:
Original post by Turquaz
OK then I've an idea for you. Why don't adopt the OP as your child and give yourself the opportunity to do better than their existing parents :biggrin:

Don’t want kids so I am not obliged to give anything to anyone, in fact I tell people to piss off when it comes to birthdays.
(edited 5 years ago)
It isn’t a milestone birthday any more and means nothing.
Hi everyone,

Yes you are imo. You aren't entitled to the money that they worked for. They've already spent probably hundreds of thousands on you since you were born. My dad earns a good all I y too but doesn't give me money because he wants me to learn how to fend for myself and support myself. I certainly don't feel the need to moan about how I'm not getting any of the money he works over 40 hours a week for.

Be grateful you got any money at all!
Original post by adam277

That escalated quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending