The Student Room Group

Finished Uni in 2016 with a DipHE, can I go back to top it up

I finished University in 2016 with a DipHE, I was advised by the university to take this option as I was struggling with my mental health at the time. I tried to complete my third year twice, so I've used 4 years of funding - will I still be eligible for a years further funding to top up my qualification to Honours?Secondly, does a DipHE expire in terms of when I can return to University? I read somewhere that you need to transfer your credits within five months to be able to top up, and obviously I'm way past that!
Original post by Karlamcguinness
I finished University in 2016 with a DipHE, I was advised by the university to take this option as I was struggling with my mental health at the time. I tried to complete my third year twice, so I've used 4 years of funding - will I still be eligible for a years further funding to top up my qualification to Honours?Secondly, does a DipHE expire in terms of when I can return to University? I read somewhere that you need to transfer your credits within five months to be able to top up, and obviously I'm way past that!

Hi Karla,

Your eligibility to top up would be dependent on a few things. Can you confirm the duration of the top up course? Can you also confirm the normal duration of your original course?

Regarding your time between the previous course and the top up, we don't have a limit on this as long as you gained the preliminary qualification. However, the universities may have stipulations regarding this so you should query that with them.

Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy,

My top up course would just be one year -3rd year. My course was originally 3 years but I had a deferral half way through my original third year due to MH grounds. I then went back in the September to try again but was advised to take the DipHE by the university as I was struggling.

So I have used my ‘grace year’

Thanks, Karla
Original post by SFE Andrew
Hi Karla,

Your eligibility to top up would be dependent on a few things. Can you confirm the duration of the top up course? Can you also confirm the normal duration of your original course?

Regarding your time between the previous course and the top up, we don't have a limit on this as long as you gained the preliminary qualification. However, the universities may have stipulations regarding this so you should query that with them.

Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy,

My top up course would just be one year -3rd year. My course was originally 3 years but I had a deferral half way through my original third year due to MH grounds. I then went back in the September to try again but was advised to take the DipHE by the university as I was struggling.

So I have used my ‘grace year’

Thanks, Karla

Hi Karla,

Did you study full time or part time previously?

Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy,

I studied full time previously. Completed my first and second year with no problems, it was just my third year where I struggled.

Thanks, Karla
Hi Karla,

Did you study full time or part time previously?

Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy,

I studied full time previously. Completed my first and second year with no problems, it was just my third year where I struggled.

Thanks, Karla

Hi Karla,

Yes you will be able to to get funding to top this up to the honours degree. The part time applications haven't launched yet, but they normally launch around the summer. Keep an eye on our social media channels around then for an announcement when they launch.

Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for getting back to me! This is a massive weight lifted for me!

If I gain my place at the university then I would be returning full time for my third year, would I still be entitled to apply for funding for full time study?

Thanks, Karla
Hi Karla,

Yes you will be able to to get funding to top this up to the honours degree. The part time applications haven't launched yet, but they normally launch around the summer. Keep an eye on our social media channels around then for an announcement when they launch.

Thanks, Andy
Hi Karla,

Sorry Karla, you would only be able to get funding for this if you study part time. However, if you didn't complete a previous year of the original course due to reasons outwith your control, you may be able to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons, if successful you would be granted and additional year of funding.

We would recommend messaging us directly on Facebook or Twitter, so we can access your account and check over your previous study.

Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for getting back to me! This is a massive weight lifted for me!

If I gain my place at the university then I would be returning full time for my third year, would I still be entitled to apply for funding for full time study?

Thanks, Karla
Hi Andy,

I’ve sent a message through Facebook. Thanks so much for your help so far.

Thanks, Karla

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending