The Student Room Group

How do I tell him I'm seeing someone else?

I doubt this thread will make me very popular, but I just need some advice about what to do.

I've been speaking to this boy and we have so much in common, he seems like he'd be perfect for me. He is quite shy and quiet, but he's starting to come out of his shell more and I know that he likes me, and I've got a feeling he wants to ask me out.

We were supposed to go to a gig last week, but it got cancelled and he didn't have money to do anything else, so I went the pictures some other boy I'd met just for something to do. We got on so well and we've barely been apart since. I wasn't expecting it to go so well, now he's my boyfriend and I can see that it could be quite serious.

My problem is that I've still been speaking to the first boy, and he's such a nice person I can't bring myself to tell him that I've started seeing someone as it would definately upset him. What should I do? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Don't you think it will hurt him more if you don't tell him?
Reply 2
Ray Oceanweaver
Don't you think it will hurt him more if you don't tell him?

Yeah, I know. He's asked me to go out again on Friday and I just can't bring myself to tell him, I know he'll be upset. What can I say?
Reply 3
NickyP
Yeah, I know. He's asked me to go out again on Friday and I just can't bring myself to tell him, I know he'll be upset. What can I say?

I'm seeing someone else....

:cool:
Reply 4
Get it over and done with.
NickyP
I doubt this thread will make me very popular, but I just need some advice about what to do.

I've been speaking to this boy and we have so much in common, he seems like he'd be perfect for me. He is quite shy and quiet, but he's starting to come out of his shell more and I know that he likes me, and I've got a feeling he wants to ask me out.

We were supposed to go to a gig last week, but it got cancelled and he didn't have money to do anything else, so I went the pictures some other boy I'd met just for something to do. We got on so well and we've barely been apart since. I wasn't expecting it to go so well, now he's my boyfriend and I can see that it could be quite serious.

My problem is that I've still been speaking to the first boy, and he's such a nice person I can't bring myself to tell him that I've started seeing someone as it would definately upset him. What should I do? :frown:

Tell him the truth.
The longer you stretch it out the worse it will be for him, put yourself in his shoes, im sure you would prefer to be told what was going on!

tell him asap and the truth
Reply 7
Oh dear :frown:
Just say something like "I should have told you sooner but I'm seeing someone else, I'm sorry"
Reply 8
tom_tom_tom
The longer you stretch it out the worse it will be for him, put yourself in his shoes, im sure you would prefer to be told what was going on!

You're right, I never thought about it like that :frown:

FizzBitch
Oh dear :frown:
Just say something like "I should have told you sooner but I'm seeing someone else, I'm sorry"

And thanks, I think that's what I'll do. Everyone seems to agree that I should just tell him now so I think I will and get it out of the way.

I really hate upsetting people and it will get me down for the rest of the day, but it's better I told him before he finds out from someone else..
just tell him
if you tell him early on it's less like you've been hiding it from him and a little less upsetting.
have the two of you admitted to liking each other? if not, then it's not sooo bad, but still just tell him "i've started seeing a boy"
Reply 10
tell him you will hurt him less than what you will later :smile: if not get ur mates to drop hints or something lol
good luck.
Reply 11
Try for a threesome?

Sorry, I jest.
Reply 12
Just tell him straight, i'm sure he'll think more of you for telling him now rather than later, even if it does hurt him
Reply 13
Tell him you like girls.
NickyP
You're right, I never thought about it like that :frown:

Everyone gets into these situations once or twice i know i have and its not nice, i have foind through mistakes i have made and things that honesty is the best way forward. If you string it out you could lose both the people. Where your BF now gets the impression your cheating because you are still talking to this other guy etc.
I agree with everything said above pretty much.
Its better get these things said and out of the way, as it avoids even more upset.

The thing is, if you tell him that you are seeing someone else now in a nice way you are more likely to have a chance of staying friends with this guy or having the option open for seeing him later on (and lets face it its always nice to keep options open!)

I know this guy probably won't be that pleased, but hopefully he shouldnt be too hurt.

About a year ago I was intrested in this guy, well it was a sort of mutual intrest but he ended up getting together with someone before anything happened. I remember him letting me down quite gently just before he changed his Facebook status. I didn't feel upset by it, because I knew he had been honest with me from the start.

Hopefully your guy will understand that things like this just happen from time to time.
Reply 16
Text him: you're dumped.
Don't tell him you've chosen someone else over him, there's no reason for him to know he's been bettered. Just say you don't want a relationship at the minute.
Reply 18
TommyWannabe
Don't tell him you've chosen someone else over him, there's no reason for him to know he's been bettered. Just say you don't want a relationship at the minute.

Well what happens when he sees her out and about with another guy? He'd feel a right fool. I was once dating a guy, I text him asking if he wanted to meet up the next day and he made an excuse, and the next day I saw him in town holding hands with some other girl. I went on his myspace that night and his status was set to "In a relationship" and I was not pleased that I had found it out like that - I'd much rather he had told me straight he was with someone else.
Reply 19
Well I've told him now, and he seems devastated. I feel so bad but at least it's off my chest now.. I hope I've made the right choice, I actually want to stay being his friend because he is so much like me but I doubt he'll want to now :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending