The Student Room Group

What happens if I don't get my required grades

My top 2 Uni preferences require 2 B's (I already have an A in another subject). Should these be my 2 choices and what happens if I don't get the required grades? Or should I choose one as my preference and the other insurance, even though I don't really want to go to the insurance University. I'm just worried that if I don't get the required 2 B's and there are only 5 Uni's around offering the course I want to take (ancient & medieval history) that I might not get completed lose out. Thank you
Original post by alvarezcm
My top 2 Uni preferences require 2 B's (I already have an A in another subject). Should these be my 2 choices and what happens if I don't get the required grades? Or should I choose one as my preference and the other insurance, even though I don't really want to go to the insurance University. I'm just worried that if I don't get the required 2 B's and there are only 5 Uni's around offering the course I want to take (ancient & medieval history) that I might not get completed lose out. Thank you

No point having an insurance if you dont actually want to go there. You would be better off resitting and reapplying the following year if you were rejected.

The uni will get the results and then allocate all places to people who have met the grades. If all places are not full they may decide to spread the spare places out amongst the near misses and those with extenuating circumstances. The close you are to the offer the better your chances.

Firm and Insure your your top 2 choices, even if they are both asking for ABB.

It's quite logical to do this since some unis will drop their grades on results day, so even if you dropped a grade or two, either uni A or B could be flexible. And you shouldn't Insure a Unis you don't want to go to.

Call your universities and ASK THEM what happens if you miss your offer. They'll be able to give you some indication whether your course is likely to have some flexibility or if they are very strict about the entry grades.
Reply 4
Thank you for your feedback so far, it's been very useful :smile:
If you miss your offer by a grade or two, and this is especially true for a course like this, you're still very likely to get in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending