The Student Room Group

My classmates keep calling me rich

So recently I’ve told what my parents jobs are and classmates keep calling me rich (even though I don’t like to think that) now it’s getting really annoying everytime when they try to ‘small talk’, they say omg you’re so rich!
What should I say? I just can’t say thank you or something it’s rude. What should I say??? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I want genuine help :frown:
Just laugh it off
"I'm not."
"It's my parents money - not mine."
Reply 4
hey, i would just try to ignore them they are proprerly jealous of what they have against u, u have to tell them straight that you don't care what they say, and just focus on whst you want, pm if you need any more help
Original post by Anonymous
So recently I’ve told what my parents jobs are and classmates keep calling me rich (even though I don’t like to think that) now it’s getting really annoying everytime when they try to ‘small talk’, they say omg you’re so rich!
What should I say? I just can’t say thank you or something it’s rude. What should I say??? :frown:

Well what's wrong with being called rich? Just say "yeah"
Downplay it. "Nah, it just seems like that" There is nothing else you can do. And avoid people who keep mentioning it.

Try not to talk about anything related to finance generally.

Just change the topic. Learn weird facts.
This didn't happen, did it?
I’ve had a similar problem as I joined an ordinary secondary school after attending private school and people saw my Dad pick me up in his new car (which admittedly is expensive but he works hard for his money) and when people see my holiday pics on insta (we normally go to exotic places) it got worse. I think the problem isn’t necessarily jealously (or not all of the time) but it’s the stereotype that people associate with being rich (snobby, overly confident etc) so I know it’s difficult and can seem very awkward especially when people are so abrupt about it but just try your best to prove the stereotypes wrong and when people ask about it say something along the lines of ‘well we’re comfortable but not living like royalty or anything’ this way you’ve acknowledged it whilst making it slightly comedic. Hope this helps xx
Just laugh it off

Original post by Kim~Shawn Mendes
hey, i would just try to ignore them they are proprerly jealous of what they have against u, u have to tell them straight that you don't care what they say, and just focus on whst you want, pm if you need any more help

Thank you for the advice!! :jumphug:
I’ll try to ignore the them this week and see how things go
Original post by batter mix
Downplay it. "Nah, it just seems like that" There is nothing else you can do. And avoid people who keep mentioning it.

Try not to talk about anything related to finance generally.

Just change the topic. Learn weird facts.

Thanks I’ll try to ignore them about that the topic :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
This didn't happen, did it?

It did :frown: they always tease me about it
@Revision Boiii ANON FAIL lol

To flaunt your parents wealth throw £1 coins at them.
I’ve had a similar problem as I joined an ordinary secondary school after attending private school and people saw my Dad pick me up in his new car (which admittedly is expensive but he works hard for his money) and when people see my holiday pics on insta (we normally go to exotic places) it got worse. I think the problem isn’t necessarily jealously (or not all of the time) but it’s the stereotype that people associate with being rich (snobby, overly confident etc) so I know it’s difficult and can seem very awkward especially when people are so abrupt about it but just try your best to prove the stereotypes wrong and when people ask about it say something along the lines of ‘well we’re comfortable but not living like royalty or anything’ this way you’ve acknowledged it whilst making it slightly comedic. Hope this helps xx

Thank you for the advice! :smile: really helpful! :jumphug:
Hopefully they will stop talking about this with me.
@Revision Boiii ANON FAIL lol

I put accon by accident 🤷🏽*♂️
Yes hopefully but please remember that your parents having money is nothing to be ashamed of especially if they’ve worked hard for it and as long as you’re not rubbing it in peoples faces (which clearly you aren’t) you’ve got no reason to worry about it xx
Original post by Revision Boiii
Thank you for the advice! :smile: really helpful! :jumphug:
Hopefully they will stop talking about this with me.
can you send me some cash :wink:
bmw i8? Hahaha is this some kind of peasant joke that I’m too rich to understand? My daddy has a Rolls Royce

/s :wink:
Original post by ctchannah
can you send me some cash :wink:

Hmu:wink: ;p

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending