The Student Room Group

I really need some help with this

I have received a conditional from UCLan a few months ago, at the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to uni or do a gap year so I firmly accepted it, thinking that if I got the grades I would get a place and then I could choose if I wanted to go or not.
I logged into UCAS for the first time in ages now and I realised that once I accepted it I had only 14 days to cancel it, after that time had passed if I didn't cancel it and I did get the grade they asked for that means that I HAVE to go there and study. I didn't know about this at the time otherwise I wouldn't have accepted the offer.
I am planning on doing a gap year and applying to uni next year, but if I do get the grade that means I HAVE to go, but I don't want to.
Is there any way I can cancel the offer now that the 14 days have passed? Does this mean that if I do get the grade that I have to go to uni even though I don't want to?
Also, the offer is conditional on providing evidence of completed qualifications by end of July.
Does this mean that if I don't show evidence of my grades they'll take away my place at the uni? This would be a solution to my problem if this is the case.
Original post by GasCio
I have received a conditional from UCLan a few months ago, at the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to uni or do a gap year so I firmly accepted it, thinking that if I got the grades I would get a place and then I could choose if I wanted to go or not.
I logged into UCAS for the first time in ages now and I realised that once I accepted it I had only 14 days to cancel it, after that time had passed if I didn't cancel it and I did get the grade they asked for that means that I HAVE to go there and study. I didn't know about this at the time otherwise I wouldn't have accepted the offer.
I am planning on doing a gap year and applying to uni next year, but if I do get the grade that means I HAVE to go, but I don't want to.
Is there any way I can cancel the offer now that the 14 days have passed? Does this mean that if I do get the grade that I have to go to uni even though I don't want to?
Also, the offer is conditional on providing evidence of completed qualifications by end of July.
Does this mean that if I don't show evidence of my grades they'll take away my place at the uni? This would be a solution to my problem if this is the case.

Unless you formally enroll at the Uni, you're not going regardless of your offer or your Firm/Insurance decision.

You can request to be released from your offer. In theory the Uni could say no, but in reality they're not going to force you to attend.

If you're taking a gap year anyway, why not ask to defer your offer. You can always ask to be released later if you want to apply to a new set of Uni' and decide UCL or this course isn't the one for you.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot, I have contacted the uni and I was told that I could defer it for 2020, I do want to go to this uni at some point but not quite yet. Anyways, thanks for the help I do really appreciate it.
Original post by Admit-One
Unless you formally enroll at the Uni, you're not going regardless of your offer or your Firm/Insurance decision.

You can request to be released from your offer. In theory the Uni could say no, but in reality they're not going to force you to attend.

If you're taking a gap year anyway, why not ask to defer your offer. You can always ask to be released later if you want to apply to a new set of Uni' and decide UCL or this course isn't the one for you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GasCio
Thanks a lot, I have contacted the uni and I was told that I could defer it for 2020, I do want to go to this uni at some point but not quite yet. Anyways, thanks for the help I do really appreciate it.

No probs, enjoy your gap year.
Hi GasCio :biggrin:

After studying my A Levels at college, I made the choice to take a gap year.

I would recommend that you make the most of this year out of education. There are many different things you can do to such as; gain work experience, participate in voluntary work, travel, get a job to earn money and save up, take up a new skill or hobby or take the time to decide what you wish to do in the future.

If you have any further questions about my experience taking a gap year just send me a PM!

I hope this helps!

Amy :thumbsup:
Original post by GasCio

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending